Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

peterchiodo

Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale

Post by peterchiodo »

Hey all…just trying to keep everyone up to speed. We were in the last stages of packaging design (not that ‘towelers care) and came to the following conclusion. We feel very strongly that Netherworld would better support the Cascadian Dark Ale style.

Presto! So, so just like that we are changing the name! Elvis and the Imperial India Porter style have left the building. I promise even more Cascade hop character in the next batch--(the one we are shipping the LCBO for release this September.
Peace
P-

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thanks for the updates Peter. Sounds promising.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Awesome! Can't wait for this one in bottles, perfect timing for fall. Love the name too - reminds me of the Wolves in the Throne Room album "Black Cascade".

notdan

Post by notdan »

velovampire wrote:Awesome! Can't wait for this one in bottles, perfect timing for fall. Love the name too - reminds me of the Wolves in the Throne Room album "Black Cascade".
For whatever reason, I did not expect to see people talking about black metal bands on Bar Towel. Nice... nice.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

notdan wrote:
For whatever reason, I did not expect to see people talking about black metal bands on Bar Towel. Nice... nice.
Are you serious, dude? Look around the room next time you're at cask days or some other bartowel-heavy event.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

tuqueboy wrote:
notdan wrote:
Are you serious, dude? Look around the room next time you're at cask days or some other bartowel-heavy event.
Thankfully, a few of us still listen to 102.1 and enjoy the 420. So do the guys down at Sweetwater Brewery in Hotlanta. They named a beer after it.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Interesting. The few bartowelers I've met did not happen to be metalheads (that I know of). Always happy to hear there's more of us out there.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Any updates on a more specific date when we can expect see this on LCBO shelves, Pete? Is everything going according to plan? I'm itchin' to stock this regularly at home...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

velovampire wrote:Any updates on a more specific date when we can expect see this on LCBO shelves, Pete? Is everything going according to plan? I'm itchin' to stock this regularly at home...
+1 :D

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

notdan wrote:
velovampire wrote:Awesome! Can't wait for this one in bottles, perfect timing for fall. Love the name too - reminds me of the Wolves in the Throne Room album "Black Cascade".
I thought I could usually decipher black metal logos but that one is on a totally different level
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Excellent, I look forward to trying it.

Gary
Gary Gillman

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

viggo wrote:
notdan wrote:
I thought I could usually decipher black metal logos but that one is on a totally different level
It is a bit cryptic... :lol:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

peterchiodo wrote: I promise even more Cascade hop character in the next batch--(the one we are shipping the LCBO for release this September.
Peace
P-

So we expect a burst of grapefruit balanced by roasty coffee-like tones?

One of he impressions I liked from the old batches was the citrus and cocao or lemon and bitter chocolate discernment. if you intensify this citrus-roast balance in upcoming batches it can only get better.

THe citrus-roasty flavors seem like opposites but they play off well against each other.
Aventinus rules!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I agree fully Pootz, that's the key to a good Black IPA. It doesn't necessarily have to be the grapefruit taste, but most American hop flavours, including amarillo with its tangerine tones, blend well with a chocolately maltiness. This is where American hops come into their own IMO (although they can make a great pale ale too as e.g., Hoptical from Barrie, Tankhouse and that style).

A variation on this idea is a blend of pumpkin spices and mash with the same roasted malt flavour - in a word Black Pumpkin beer. A winner when the balance is done right.

Gary
Gary Gillman

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

pootz wrote:THe citrus-roasty flavors seem like opposites but they play off well against each other.
Ron Pattison always bitches about this combo, but a few weeks ago, he was singing the praises of Storm King. So maybe there is hope after all.

I love this combo.