Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Unibroue To Be Sold?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Might we see La Marque Bavaria?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Blanche de Bavaria? Miller Genuine Draftsman, Moldite? Fringante Light XXX? Maybe even Black de Chambly!
In this scenario, Fin du Monde and Terrible would not have to change names, they would just take on a whole 'nother meaning. :lol:
Oops, my wife's in labour, gotta go.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Very witty, Perry. :lol:

Best of luck with the delivery, if you're serious!

Maybe that means we'll be seeing you at the Judge on Saturday?

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Burgermeister wrote:
(Sleeman )...have been looking at breweries in Quebec for some time and haven't purchased one yet.

Sleeman bought Seigneuriale about 4-5 yrs to gain access to the Quebec marktet. As a result, they destroyed this fine Boucherville brewery, using it more as a storage facility for Sleeman products. I read on Bieropholie that they were liquidating their remaining Seigneuriale stock...Johannette and Grand Duc bought a lot of the remaindered cases . Buy it while you still have a chance...By buying Unibroue, they will probably burry Seigneuriale for good.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Have we any confirmation that it is Sleeman?
By the way, just got home from the hospital. I'm the extremely proud father of a 7 lb. baby girl. Katharina Elisabeth was born at 6:30 am, following 23 hrs of brutal labour ( and a nerve wracking overtime win by the Sens).
Off to Cambellford to do up casks of Dogsbody. If all goes to plan, I shall be at the Judge on Saturday.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

burgermeister wrote: I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sleeman's bought them - them promptly move the brewing of Unibroue brands to the Maritimes like they did with Upper Canada.
Really, Upper Canada is brewed here in the Maritimes now? I find that odd considering it's not available here. Wouldn't it make more sense to brew closer to where it's being sold?

With that in mind, it would be quite odd if Sleeman is the buyer and they did move the Unibroue brands here to Dartmouth brewery (Maritime Brewing Co.), seeing as you can't get Unibroue in Nova Scotia. It is available in New Brunswick, but Sleeman doesn't own a brewery there as far as I know.

I'm still open to the potential buyer not being another brewery, and perhaps just a rich Quebec entrepreneur looking to add a new business to their portfolio.

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

Bobbyok wrote:
Really, Upper Canada is brewed here in the Maritimes now? I find that odd considering it's not available here. Wouldn't it make more sense to brew closer to where it's being sold?
That apparently was the plan although I haven't really been able to confirm it. Sleeman purchased Maritime brewing several years ago and had been looking to rationalize the use of the manufacturing capacity. Guelph is tapped out brewing Sleemans and Sapporo and the Guelph brewery is simply now to big to brew smaller runs of UC economically. The Maritime Brewery is more suited from a size perspective. However, you're right, doesn't make a whole lotta sense to brew in Nova Scotia when the only real market place for UC beers is Ontario. Makes one wonder how much longer UC will be around. Not really sure about Sleeman's buying Unibroue either as a previous poster indicated that Sleemans had already purchased a brewery in Quebec some time ago.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

PRMason wrote: By the way, just got home from the hospital. I'm the extremely proud father of a 7 lb. baby girl. Katharina Elisabeth was born at 6:30 am, following 23 hrs of brutal labour ( and a nerve wracking overtime win by the Sens).
Congratulations, Perry! Except for the Sens win :evil:

Hope to see you Saturday.

Andrew

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Wife bears child one weekend and off to the judge for a tasting the next...you're a braver man than I Perry Mason. :wink:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Congrats, Perry!

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

It would appear that Sleeman is indeed the suitor:

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/Wi ... 1204202897

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Hmm. I think this sucks. But Dion et al control the brewery pretty tightly - I wonder if they would agree to sell unless there were clauses to maintain (at least some) of their brands?

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

its a sad day... :(

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

According to Yahoo! news, its a done deal. As of today, Sleeman now controls the assets and brands of Unibroue. The deal is for $36.5 million, all cash, and Sleeman assumes Unibroue's debt of $5.5 million. The majority shareholders, Dion, Charlebois et al, control 71.5% of Unibroue's stock and the deal has their unanimous approval. Can Clear de Chambly be far behind? :cry: :cry: Truly a sad end for a brewing pioneer in Canada.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

PRMason wrote:According to Yahoo! news, its a done deal. As of today, Sleeman now controls the assets and brands of Unibroue. The deal is for $36.5 million, all cash, and Sleeman assumes Unibroue's debt of $5.5 million. The majority shareholders, Dion, Charlebois et al, control 71.5% of Unibroue's stock and the deal has their unanimous approval. Can Clear de Chambly be far behind? :cry: :cry: Truly a sad end for a brewing pioneer in Canada.
Yes, the press release calls it a tender of $5.25/share, but in this case they wouldn't bother announcing such a proposal if the majority shareholders weren't already on board. If history is any judge, we are now about to witness a slow, painful demise.