Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Half Pints Canadian Tour..............

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Half Pints Canadian Tour..............

Post by Torontoblue »

Saw this on the local blog site, http://www.onbeer.org/?p=782 , here in Edmonton:

"Dave Rudge, the owner and Brewmaster of Winnipeg’s Half Pints brewery, is hitting the road at the end of September to do a bit of a promotional tour of the other prairie provinces. He will be hitting five cities to do a bit of beer business and in each city host a public event.

Here is the public itinerary so far:

September 28 – Edmonton Cask Night @ The Sugar Bowl
September 29 – Calgary Beer Tasting @ Kawa
September 30 – Lethbridge Tasting @ the Andrew Hilton store
October 1- Medicine Hat Booth @ Medicine Hat Beer Fest
October 2 – Regina Brewer’s Dinner @ Beer Bros

The quickest of you will have already noticed TWO special things in that list. The first is that Half Pints will be doing a CASK NIGHT at the Sugar Bowl while in Edmonton. Should be fantastic. A little birdie (one that would fit in a 250 ml glass) tells me that it will likely be their Oktoberfest seasonal with a bit of dry hopping. YUM!!

The second is Dave will be at the Medicine Hat beer festival. Huh? This, I must sheepishly admit, was news to me (and my in-laws live there, for heaven’s sake!). It appears to be hosted by the Medicine Hat Lodge and Trackside Liquor Store (whom I posted about here), and is promising 50 different breweries with NO crap beer). I am not sure I can be in the Hat that weekend, but I would love a report about it from someone.

I realize the schedule has no times yet, but call the local event location and they will be able to tell you. Or I may get around to telling you if you bug me enough. In all likelihood Edmonton’s will be at 5:00.

In other Half Pints news, the latest Phil’s Pils is out and available in Winnipeg and (I think) in Alberta as well (at least I hope those bottles I saw on the shelves the other day are the new batch…). Also, the Humulus Ludicrous is being released on September 15, same day as the Oktoberfest. Oh to be in Winnipeg that day…"

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I was out at Half Pints a couple weeks ago while visiting a friend in Winnipeg. Dave was a true gentleman, and generous to boot. Much Little Scrapper was consumed the week I was out and I fell in love with Phil's Pils. Great brewery doing great things.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Very cool. They make great beer. Though I wouldn't exactly cal it a Canadian tour.........more like a tour of a couple provinces. :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

SteelbackGuy wrote:more like a tour of a couple provinces. :)
Just the important ones.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Also, Dave rules. I have never met a more friendly and passionate brewer.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Very cool. They make great beer. Though I wouldn't exactly cal it a Canadian tour.........more like a tour of a couple provinces. :)
Not everything revolves around Ontario, don't ya know. Now, if Half Pints was available for sale in Ontario, maybe you would have been part of the tour :P

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

A fantastic brewery. My fiancee doesn't care much for beer but LOVES the Phils Pils. Here's hoping they hit ontario one of these days.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

markaberrant wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:more like a tour of a couple provinces. :)
Just the important ones.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Very cool. They make great beer. Though I wouldn't exactly cal it a Canadian tour.........more like a tour of a couple provinces. :)
Not everything revolves around Ontario, don't ya know. Now, if Half Pints was available for sale in Ontario, maybe you would have been part of the tour :P

I realize not everything revolves around Ontario. Believe me, I feel the same way about Toronto :)

But having a tour of a couple western provinces and calling it a Canadian tour just seems a bit odd. I can understand why one would decide not to visit Nunavut perhaps, but a Canadian tour should certainly include at least one eastern province, no?

And for the record, thanks to HMH negotiants, half pints is available in Ontario. I've enjoyed many of their beers at Chancey SMith's, and in fact, the burly wine is one of my favourite barleywines ever.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:

I realize not everything revolves around Ontario. Believe me, I feel the same way about Toronto :)

But having a tour of a couple western provinces and calling it a Canadian tour just seems a bit odd. I can understand why one would decide not to visit Nunavut perhaps, but a Canadian tour should certainly include at least one eastern province, no?

And for the record, thanks to HMH negotiants, half pints is available in Ontario. I've enjoyed many of their beers at Chancey SMith's, and in fact, the burly wine is one of my favourite barleywines ever.
Well, to be honest, it isn't Half Pints calling it a Canadian Tour, that was just me trying to garner attention in the subject header.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Now you know how we feel down here with every Canadian tour that makes it as far east as Montreal or Quebec City. :wink:

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Just got my tickets for the Calgary event. I don't care what it's called, it looks like an awesome night.

The line up will include.....

BULLDOG AMBER ALE, English Bitter
PHIL’S PILS, Euro Pale Lager
PUNK N’ FEST, Pumpkin Lager
RIGAMAROLE RYE, Barrel Aged Rye Beer
HUMULUS LUDICROUS, Double IPA
$ELLOUT $TOUT, Barrel Aged Stout

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:Just got my tickets for the Calgary event. I don't care what it's called, it looks like an awesome night.

A helluva lot better than what we're getting up in Edmonton, but at least we don't have to pay up front; it's just turn up and drink until the cask is dry. And hopefully this warmish weather holds out for tomorrow too.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Torontoblue wrote:
boney wrote:Just got my tickets for the Calgary event. I don't care what it's called, it looks like an awesome night.

A helluva lot better than what we're getting up in Edmonton, but at least we don't have to pay up front; it's just turn up and drink until the cask is dry. And hopefully this warmish weather holds out for tomorrow too.
Are you kidding me? Dry hopped Half Pints Oktoberfest cask is superb! Dave brought one to Regina last year, and it stands out as one of the best beer experiences in my life.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

markaberrant wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:

Are you kidding me? Dry hopped Half Pints Oktoberfest cask is superb! Dave brought one to Regina last year, and it stands out as one of the best beer experiences in my life.
I should have said the overall selection. Hey, I'm more than happy that we're even getting a single cask of Half Pints beer. From no cask at all when I moved here, to a monthly (soon to be fortnightly) Alley Kat cask offering at Sugar Bowl and now Half Pints are rolling through. It's all good!!