Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Islenskur Urvals Pils and Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Swordsman

Islenskur Urvals Pils and Stout

Post by Swordsman »

A friend of mine was recently in Iceland and brought me back 4 beers to try. I had two of them this week-end

Islenskur Urvals Pils: It is Icelands very first Certified organic beer. A very nice hoppy pilsner with a quick bitter finish.

Islenskur Urvals Stout: A very slight aroma with a slight coffee presence. Although the alcohol is listed at 5.8% APV, this is not a heavy beer to drink. From the taste and feel, I would have put it at 4%, which makes this a fairly dangerous beer as it is very drinkable and tastes like you could have a few.

Fun to note: I did some research on Icelandic beer and was shocked to discover that from 1915 to 1989, there was a ban on beer. Liquor could be bought and consumed but not beer. Interesting that a pub opened in the 1980's that sold fake beer. It was a non-alcoholic beer mixed with a 40% potato liquor. When a politician tried to pass a law banning this practice, everyone realized how ridiculous the law was and overturned it on March 1, 1989. March 1rst is now celebrated as Beer Day in Iceland.
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step