Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sam Adams in Ontario 2010/2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Sam Adams in Ontario 2010/2011

Post by Cass »

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=1334

Lots of nice stuff coming from Sam Adams in 2010/11:

- Winter Lager
- Noble Pils
- Summer Ale
- Octoberfest
- Utopias
- Infinium

Thanks to Moosehead for sharing the great news. Looking forward to everything.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ahhh yeah! Looking forward to these likely on tap or in bottle at Chancey's!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I thought with the SA Summer Ale being available on tap and the availability of the Oktoberfest that there was more good news to come.

Samuel Adams is big in the Hamilton-Burlington area as the latest offerings fly of the shelves.

Sure would be nice to get a Utopia for Christmas!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I want infinium but it will probably be only available around Toronto.

Anybody in Ottawa want to go together and call up a case?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

How is Sam Adams Utopias worth > 100 bucks, I wonder. There are some awfully good barley wines for a few dollars at Premier Gourmet.

Still, cool stuff and the Infinium sounds promising. Sam Adams covers a lot of middle ground for new craft beer drinkers.
In Beerum Veritas

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Belgian wrote:How is Sam Adams Utopias worth > 100 bucks, I wonder. There are some awfully good barley wines for a few dollars at Premier Gourmet.

Still, cool stuff and the Infinium sounds promising. Sam Adams covers a lot of middle ground for new craft beer drinkers.
You've obviously never had Utopias. Thats like saying how is this fine scotch worth > 100 bucks. Canadian Club is only 20
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

viggo wrote:
Belgian wrote:How is Sam Adams Utopias worth > 100 bucks, I wonder. There are some awfully good barley wines for a few dollars at Premier Gourmet.

You've obviously never had Utopias. Thats like saying how is this fine scotch worth > 100 bucks. Canadian Club is only 20
I have never had Utopias and I have always been curious is there much carbonation to it. I have always wondered since it seems to be the kind of thing where you sip a little bit at a time to make it last. But if it has any kind off beer like carbonation, that would be gone not long after you open the bottle.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I think it is supposed to be like cognac (or similar spirits) and that you can have it a bit at a time. I haven't had it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it poured still.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Gedge wrote:I think it is supposed to be like cognac (or similar spirits) and that you can have it a bit at a time. I haven't had it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it poured still.
Its pretty well still. And fantasticly good
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

cfrancis wrote:I want infinium but it will probably be only available around Toronto.

Anybody in Ottawa want to go together and call up a case?
Saw one place where in the States it would go for $19.95 a bottle.

Also it alluded to the fact that there would be 2 more collaborations with Weihenstephan coming out in 2011, now whether we would get them here or not. Called MXL and Valtus ale.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Anyone - opinions as to why it's worth getting? Comparisons to other top-rated BWs? Thanks.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Belgian wrote:
Anyone - opinions as to why it's worth getting? Comparisons to other top-rated BWs? Thanks.
Wasn't Utopias the original super high gravity beer? I think it exceeds your regular BW and would be compared to stuff BrewDog Tokyo or TNP (although Koch is reportedly disdainful of eisbocking to get higher gravity)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Why? Look at Utopias as an "event beer". Buy one bottle and invite a whole bunch of friends over. It's something that could anchor an entire gathering. Most people would be attracted to trying a "beer that costs over a hundred dollars!" and it would be a memorable time. Maybe that's just me but not many beers could you do this with.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I really liked the Utopias, but I personally wouldn't spend the money for a bottle. Definitely worth trying though.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'll probably spring for a bottle and extend an open invitation to any Bartowelers that either want come to come to Newmarket or wait till I hit London