Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Sweet Peach?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ukie
Bar Fly

Great Lakes Sweet Peach?

Post by Ukie »

Is this another unannounced new listing or am I just not paying attention?

GREAT LAKES SWEET PETE'S PEACH WHEAT
LCBO 215426 | 650 mL bottle

Price: $ 5.95
Beer, Wheat, Craft Brewery
5.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Made in: Ontario, Canada
By: Great Lakes Brewing Co. Inc.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I announced this about a month or so back. I am glad it is now listed.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I look forward to trying this one.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

They had bottles available at last week's PX. I found it sweeter than I could handle.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JB

Post by JB »

Yes, Sweet Pete's Peach Wheat is a limited release as part of an LCBO harvest beer program (with Muskoka and Trafalgar I believe).

Approximately 50 stores have a limited amount, as we've only done a small batch of it. We also have a good supply at the brewery.

Brewed with fresh peach juice and local hops (from Guelph), it's a well balanced wheat ale with a hint of peachy flavour.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

To me, this tasted like it was possibly brewed using a weissbier yeast strain. I caught quite a bit of banana from it, but not really any clove. I think this is a well crafted take on a style of beer that is often maligned.

B+ / 4
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 4
rDev: +6.3%

Pours yellow and little bit hazier than the "slightly cloudly" the bottle claims. It was slightly cloudy when I first started my pour; after dislodging a little bit of sediment from the bottom of the bottle at the end of my pour this was actually starting to look a bit turbid. An inches worth of head receded to a thin but retentive cap. The aroma is mild and peachy with a little bit of weizen-like banana esters. The beer tastes sweet but not overbearingly so, with a slight tang to balance it. Banana is more pronounced (even to the point of dominance) on the palate with the peaches playing a more secondary role. I'll hazard a guess that the "unique strain of wheat beer yeast" is a weissbier strain, except there aren't really any clove/phenol characteristics to speak of. This fairly light bodied ale shows a lot more character once its more than ample carbonation has subsided a little. This doesn't need to be complex to be good; it's simple but what flavour it posesses has depth. I like fruit beer, and this is a pretty good one as far as I'm concerned.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mintjellie wrote:To me, this tasted like it was possibly brewed using a weissbier yeast strain. I caught quite a bit of banana from it, but not really any clove. I think this is a well crafted take on a style of beer that is often maligned.

B+ / 4
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 4
rDev: +6.3%

Pours yellow and little bit hazier than the "slightly cloudly" the bottle claims. It was slightly cloudy when I first started my pour; after dislodging a little bit of sediment from the bottom of the bottle at the end of my pour this was actually starting to look a bit turbid. An inches worth of head receded to a thin but retentive cap. The aroma is mild and peachy with a little bit of weizen-like banana esters. The beer tastes sweet but not overbearingly so, with a slight tang to balance it. Banana is more pronounced (even to the point of dominance) on the palate with the peaches playing a more secondary role. I'll hazard a guess that the "unique strain of wheat beer yeast" is a weissbier strain, except there aren't really any clove/phenol characteristics to speak of. This fairly light bodied ale shows a lot more character once its more than ample carbonation has subsided a little. This doesn't need to be complex to be good; it's simple but what flavour it posesses has depth. I like fruit beer, and this is a pretty good one as far as I'm concerned.
i agree with mintjellie's review except mine poured pretty clear. this would be a great replacement for the green tea ale during the summer.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

As I said, I like fruit beer when its done well. Like a good base beer and a very natural fruit flavour. This one hits the mark for me. I would buy it by the 6-pack if it were available in such a format over the summer. This ones a winner for me.