Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Urthel Hop-it

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Swordsman

Urthel Hop-it

Post by Swordsman »

My wife and I were at Sin and Redemption last night and I had an Urthel Hop-it. It was fabulous. Nice and hoppy, although at 9% alcohol, you can't have too many.

Loved this beer.

It claims to be the first Belgium style IPA. Makes me want to try more of this style.

Has anybody else had this one, and are there other places downtown where I might get a pint?
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Swordsman wrote:It claims to be the first Belgium style IPA. Makes me want to try more of this style.
At the LCBO, the Exclusive Belgian Ales Gift Pack / $17.35 (out now) has a good Belgian IPA, Piraat.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Not from Belgium, but i quite enjoy Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA whenever I cross the border.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

phirleh wrote:
Swordsman wrote:a good Belgian IPA, Piraat.
I have tried this a few times, and never thought it had much "ipa-ness" to it. Still a decent enough beer, just didn't live up to its billing for me.

notdan

Post by notdan »

markaberrant wrote:
phirleh wrote:
Swordsman wrote:a good Belgian IPA, Piraat.
I have tried this a few times, and never thought it had much "ipa-ness" to it. Still a decent enough beer, just didn't live up to its billing for me.
I tried Piraat this past summer without knowing what style it was. 'Belgian IPA' never really crossed my mind. The fresh Duvel I had in Beligum seemed hoppier than Piraat. Still a really tasty beer, just didn't seem IPA-ish.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

phirleh wrote:
Swordsman wrote:It claims to be the first Belgium style IPA. Makes me want to try more of this style.
a good Belgian IPA, Piraat.

Arrrr matey, that pack be priced right at 15 ducats. Har!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

Swordsman wrote: Makes me want to try more of this style.
I haven't been here for ages so it might not still be available, but the Bier Markt at King & Portland has Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor. Like all their bottles it's served way too cold. But it's worth checking out.

As for where else you can get the Urthel Hop-It on tap, the only place I can think of off the top of my head where I have had it other than Sin & Redemption is Volo.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

If you're into cross-(provincial) border shopping, Charlevoix Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus (your neighbourhood beer shop) is the best of the style that I've tried. And Chouffe Houblon (SAQ) is pretty fantastic as well.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Like others who have commented above, I've never really thought of Piraat as a Belgian IPA - especially since it predates the first use of that term by quite a few years. But then again, Belgian IPA is such a new and ill-defined "style" that I guess you could retcon in some older beers if you'd like.

Anyway - while it won't able available anywhere around Toronto (except for perhaps at Volo for the next couple of days, if there is any left), I have to say that I really enjoyed the Taps Belgian IPA that was on for Cask Days. Had just the right balance of tropical fruit, herbal hops, and a bit of spiciness.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I would rather drink a De Ranke XX Bitter if I want a belgian IPA, but still haven't tried Hopsinjoor, for some reason it does not make it's way out west (the other GC beers do).

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I've had Hop-It on tap at Beerbistro a few times. I think it is usually there since they don't seem to change their taps too often.

I've also have had it at Smokeless Joe's and Volo, though neither has it all the time.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Swordsman wrote:
Loved this beer.

It claims to be the first Belgium style IPA. Makes me want to try more of this style.
The original Belgian "IPA"

d'Achouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/chouffe-ho ... pel/56757/

Aventinus rules!

Flood

Post by Flood »

We'll be tapping the Urthel very soon at Chancey's for all of your South-Western Ontario beer geeks (and frankly anybody else who would like to come and hang out).

Plenty more to come... Cheers.
beer up

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

GregClow wrote:Anyway - while it won't able available anywhere around Toronto (except for perhaps at Volo for the next couple of days, if there is any left), I have to say that I really enjoyed the Taps Belgian IPA that was on for Cask Days. Had just the right balance of tropical fruit, herbal hops, and a bit of spiciness.
a friend dropped by with a growler of this from the pub the other day, very enjoyable beer.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

pootz wrote:The original Belgian "IPA"

d'Achouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel
Great beer when fresh, but unfortunately bottles are not date stamped. And it is downright awful when skunked thanks to the stupid green bottles. So I don't bother buying it anymore, especially given the price, though I will gladly sample it when someone else provides a bottle!