Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Barley Wine 2010

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Kish84 wrote:a couple weeks ago I had Volo's last bottle of Great Divide Old Ruffian and it was fantastic. Just had this years Mill St and it was almost undrinkable. Luckily I have another Old Ruffian coming to me.
Old Ruffian is fantastic, but I actually enjoy GD Hibernation (their old ale) more.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is also incredibly good, insanely inexpensive (usually $10-12/6pack), and stupidly easy to find across the US at the beginning of each year.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

ritzkiss wrote:I wouldn't even put Half Pints in my top 3, which surprisingly are all from BC.

1. Old Cellar Dweller
2. Thor's Hammer
3. Fat Kat Barleywine
I'd swap the 1st and 2nd place, but otherwise agree with this list.

Half Pints Burlywine is a good beer, but if Mark thinks its heads and shoulders over other Canadian examples, he's sadly deluded. I'd put it in the same tier as Alley Kat Old Deut, Wild Rose, St-Ambroise Vintage and Garrison Ol' Fog Burner (which improves greatly with age). The tier below that would have beers like Mill Street, Granite and Brewster's. The bottom tier would have Solstice d'Hiver (though I'm pumped to try the oaked version I have), Corps Mort, Bullrush and Simple Malt.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bobsy wrote:
ritzkiss wrote:I wouldn't even put Half Pints in my top 3, which surprisingly are all from BC.

1. Old Cellar Dweller
2. Thor's Hammer
3. Fat Kat Barleywine
I'd swap the 1st and 2nd place, but otherwise agree with this list.

Half Pints Burlywine is a good beer, but if Mark thinks its heads and shoulders over other Canadian examples, he's sadly deluded. I'd put it in the same tier as Alley Kat Old Deut, Wild Rose, St-Ambroise Vintage and Garrison Ol' Fog Burner (which improves greatly with age). The tier below that would have beers like Mill Street, Granite and Brewster's. The bottom tier would have Solstice d'Hiver (though I'm pumped to try the oaked version I have), Corps Mort, Bullrush and Simple Malt.
Fair enough, but I have drank several vintages of Burlywine at various ages, and all have been excellent. It has never disappointed. Does it compare to the best international barleywines? Not quite, but it stands head and shoulders above all other Canadian barleywines I have tried... and I am readily willing to admit that the 3 BC offerings are likely better. I've done a few side by side barleywine tastings over the years, and Burlywine always ends up close to the top amongst all tasters. The most recent tasting I did placed it 2nd, with Fullers Vintage 1st, and SN Bigfoot 3rd (these were the consensus results, I would place Bigfoot 3rd).

That being said, the 2 very best Canadian barleywines I have ever tasted were Bushwakker Strathdee Old Barleywine and Bushwakker Centennial Wheatwine. These were one off batches brewed in 2004 and 2005 respectively, and are still prized trade bait for those who have bottles stashed away. Both of these are better than Burlywine, even though the same brewer produced all of them.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I enjoy the Mill Street Barleywine. I don't think I $12/500mL enjoy it though. Wish it came in normal bottles so the price could be reasonable.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kwjd wrote:I enjoy the Mill Street Barleywine. I don't think I $12/500mL enjoy it though. Wish it came in normal bottles so the price could be reasonable.
lets pretend that those bottle cost mill st $2 each (they dont)

would you pay $10 for a 341ml twist of bottle?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

matt7215 wrote:
kwjd wrote:I enjoy the Mill Street Barleywine. I don't think I $12/500mL enjoy it though. Wish it came in normal bottles so the price could be reasonable.

Probably not actually. I bought a ton of the St Ambroise Vintage when it was here and that was $5 or $6 a 341ml twist off bottle, so that price point I think would be reasonable.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:

I would and did. Black Damnation for $18.00 after tax.

I wonder how much the bottles do cost though.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:

I would and did. Black Damnation for $18.00 after tax.

I wonder how much the bottles do cost though.
Don't forget the 341ml bottle is 32% less than a 500ml bottle, so you're looking at $6.80 for something that size.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

markaberrant wrote: Old Ruffian is fantastic, but I actually enjoy GD Hibernation (their old ale) more.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is also incredibly good, insanely inexpensive (usually $10-12/6pack), and stupidly easy to find across the US at the beginning of each year.
I've tried all of those beers, plus the Barrel Aged Old Ruffian, and other 'top' examples of the style from Nogne, Rogue, and Southern Tier. While I've only had a few English barley wines before (Half Pints, St. Ambroise, Brooklyn, Granite), I always enjoy fresh and aged bottles of the Mill Street. I think it's because I like the style in general, no matter how average or well-executed it is. Same goes for American IPAs.

To me the Mill Street is a 'very good' beer overall and right now it's the only retail b-wine available in Ontario (Solstice d'Hiver hasn't arrived yet), hence my post. I'd also urge you to refrain from describing your opinion as "fact." Intentional or not, it comes across as extremely condescending and it probably discourages others from posting their thoughts on here, lest they be shot down by a self-professed expert like yourself.
Last edited by cratez on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

cratez wrote:I'd also urge you to refrain from describing your opinion as "fact." Intentional or not, it comes across as extremely condescending and it probably discourages others from posting their thoughts on here, less they be shot down by a self-professed expert like yourself.
And as I already said, my original statement was purposely brash to spark debate, and I would say some good discussion was had as a result.

Several others have said in this thread that they like Mill St, others have called bullshit on Burlywine being the only good example, and I don't think I attacked any of these folks that dared to challenge my "factual" opinion.

I am pretty sure that everyone on here is wearing their big boy pants, and are all more than capable of sharing/defending opinions and speaking one's mind.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

markaberrant wrote:
cratez wrote:I'd also urge you to refrain from describing your opinion as "fact." Intentional or not, it comes across as extremely condescending and it probably discourages others from posting their thoughts on here, less they be shot down by a self-professed expert like yourself.

I am pretty sure that everyone on here is wearing their big boy pants,

Hey, I'm still in diapers! :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I was never a big fan, but I will say that last year's vintage was much improved. If this year's is similar, it's worth buying, but I suggest seeking out 2009 if you haven't tried it.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

I agree that Mill St. B wine is an over priced abomination. Last year when I bought it, I could not possibly finish the bottle. IMO it does not hold a candle to something like Gulden Draak.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

Has anyone tried the El Diablo from Microbrasserie du Lièvre. I had one back in the spring and thought it was good. Some good oak and whiskey flavors to it.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Its not the best and it is a tad expensive, but I still dont mind it once a year. I can't hate on it.