Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

aeration

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duncan

aeration

Post by duncan »

Wondering what people's methodology for aeration. Would like to pick up some tips, and ideas on improving my aeration.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

When I transfer from the boil kettle to the primary carboy I just make sure to shake the end of the line in the carboy to get a lot of action in the falling wort. I also don't put the end of the line in the accumulating wort, I just leave it right up near the neck of the carboy so even when I'm not shaking it the wort is falling a good distance and splashing around.

No extra attachments, no extra gear, no extra time.

Easy.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Tests results have shown that shaking carboys/splashing wort do not get O2 levels anywhere near high enough. Wish I could find it online (I have seen it before), but the results are published in the new Yeast - A Practical Guide book.

I have one of these - http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartsh ... tem_id=921

Fast, efficient, easy to use, and the disposable O2 tanks are cheap and last a long time.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

markaberrant wrote:Tests results have shown that shaking carboys/splashing wort do not get O2 levels anywhere near high enough. Wish I could find it online (I have seen it before), but the results are published in the new Yeast - A Practical Guide book.

I have one of these - http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartsh ... tem_id=921

Fast, efficient, easy to use, and the disposable O2 tanks are cheap and last a long time.
this^^^^, on the whitelabs site they even state that shaking and splashing can only provide up to 30% of the required amount of oxygen.

i've just purchased the same oxygen system as above and will go to depot to pick up an O2 cannister.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I do the O2 tank as well. The adapter is around $40 online and the tanks are about $12 at Crappy Tire.

duncan

Post by duncan »

I know you can over oxygenate. Are the canisters pure oxygen, or air? If oxygen, do you have a rule of thumb on how long to aerate?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

duncan wrote:I know you can over oxygenate. Are the canisters pure oxygen, or air? If oxygen, do you have a rule of thumb on how long to aerate?
1 minute for session ales, 2 minutes for big 'uns.

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

Has anyone attempted Olive Oil as an alternative to Oxygen?

Here is a MBAA abstract http://www.mbaa.com/TechQuarterly/Abstr ... 1-0017.htm
Google 'olive oil New Belgium' it and some homebrew forums address it.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

This is interesting.

Now we're headed down a new constant debate path with homebrewers: Olive Oil vs O2 vs Splashing
Extra Virgin vs Non-Extra Virgin

ad infinitum

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I used evoo for about 6 months a few years ago. Thought my beers turned out ok, but decided to go with something a little more proven.

Commercial breweries are always doing experiments (the bigger ones have seriously crazy lab programs), always looking for a way to improve things, so if they tried evoo, but didn't stick with it, they must have been unhappy with the results.

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

I bet you anything it came down to cost : benefit
Injecting wort with air in a brewery is cheap, sterile and easly measured not many consumables.
From a home brew stand point you cannot ensure the aeration procedure is sterile and therefore EVO might eliminate a contamination point.
Just be careful not all olive oil is 100% olive oil.

duncan

Post by duncan »

If you read other HB forums about using olive oil. The calculated amount you would need for a 20 litre is so extremely minuscule that there isn't a realistic way of measuring it out. For instance, I do know they use olive oil at Olde Saratoga. I believe they used 60 ml for 170 barrels. You can do the math.