Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Creek Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Black Creek Porter

Post by TwoPint »

Surprised to find this today at the Manulife store. 500ml bottle. Nice label but no indication of Trafalgar's participation as noted on the LCBO website. Haven't tried it yet.
Last edited by TwoPint on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

TwoPint wrote:Surpised to find this today at the Manulife store. 500ml bottle. Nice label but no indication of Trafalgar's participation as noted on the LCBO website. Haven't tried it yet.
i usually take the bolded portion as a buyer beware.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

sprague11 wrote:
TwoPint wrote:Nice label but no indication of Trafalgar's participation as noted on the LCBO website. Haven't tried it yet.
i usually take the bolded portion as a buyer beware.
Just forced it down. No loss of vision or bowel control yet.

Enjoyed it. Good flavour but a bit thin. Waiting for Mr. Gillman to weigh in on how well it hews to style.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Well, I'll be happy to offer my opinion, but meanwhile, you may judge for yourself, using these remarks on porter from the 1840's as your guide:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=EZGwp5e ... hl=en&ei=i

Empyreumatic means a scorched, burned/smoky taste - hallmark then as now of porter.

Gary
Gary Gillman

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I saw the new bottle. Got excited. Picked it up. Remembered that it's bottled by Trafalgar. Suddenly a rush of awful, awful memories over-whelmed me. I put it back down.

Probably will still try it at some point, and it's nice to see a new product unexpectedly show up (plus all sorts of pleasant childhood memories of High Park and Black Creek Pioneer Village, that don't involved beer somehow though...). But I'll have my reciept in one hand ready to bring back and get a refund if it turns out, well, Trafalgarized.

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

My wife and I did the BlackCreek tour last March. It was interesting and one I would recommend.

Although not a fan of Trafalgar, I did enjoy the beer at Blackcreek and brought home a growler of the IPA. The stout too was quite good. Based on our experience that day, I plan to pick up some Porter to try.
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I've sampled this beer on site at the BC pioneer brewery and now the bottled version....It tastes like Trafalger had nothing (repeat nothing) to do with the brewing.

I was pleasantly surprised/impressed with this beer as it seems like an authentic replication of pre prohibition colonial pub porter... typical of those served at the rural taverns along the coach roads in the area....modest carbonation, great roastiness, very sessionable...a mild colonial pub porter....perhaps too well refined (conditioned) for the 2 penny ales they served thirsty stage travelers.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:I've sampled this beer on site at the BC pioneer brewery and now the bottled version....It tastes like Trafalger had nothing (repeat nothing) to do with the brewing.
Huh, interesting.

It would be pretty difficult - if not impossible - for them to brew enough for a full bottling run at the Black Creek location. Maybe one of the Black Creek brewers oversaw it being brewed at Trafalgar?

Whatever the case, I'll have to pick up a bottle soon and give it a shot.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

pootz wrote:I've sampled this beer on site at the BC pioneer brewery and now the bottled version....It tastes like Trafalger had nothing (repeat nothing) to do with the brewing.

I was pleasantly surprised/impressed with this beer as it seems like an authentic replication of pre prohibition colonial pub porter... typical of those served at the rural taverns along the coach roads in the area....modest carbonation, great roastiness, very sessionable...a mild colonial pub porter....perhaps too well refined (conditioned) for the 2 penny ales they served thirsty stage travelers.
give it a week until the trafalgar ``house character'' sets in...

Karellp

Post by Karellp »

Well, Roger Mittag had this to say about the beer on his blog

"I happened to be purchasing beer for my most recent Prud’homme Certification class and lo and behold, I found something I hadn’t had before. The label and bottle intrigued me and upon further inspection, I found a Black Creek Porter. Just a short year ago, this small artisanal brewery was created on the heels of the Black Creek Brewfest that had been running for two years. I must admit that BC Pioneer Village is a very cool place to have a brewery and I know the goals are to provide the malt and hops from the Village. Why not - they have hop plants already and a grist mill just waiting to be put into better use.
Porters were the drink of choice among turn of the century (20th) beer drinkers. This one comes in at 5% ABV and shows a beautiful burgundy and auburn hue with touches of light brown. The mocha coloured foam is fairly dense for a porter.
The nose is not as complex as the flavours but still yields the typical coffee, chocolate and caramel you might come to expect. The body is cafe mocha - notes of chocolate and coffee are abundant with hints of roasted grain and burnt toast coming through as it warms. The carbonation is fairly light. The finish is quite pleasant. There is a decent amount of bitterness but not the kind that whacks you in the head. This bitterness appears slowly and lingers very nicely. There is also a nice dry texture in the mouth and you can almost taste tiramisu.
A really decent porter in my eyes and the packaging is first class. Give it a shot after dinner in a nice snifter and you might be surprised.
Cheers"

The beer is brewed in Trafalgar's facilities but it's brewed by Pioneer Breweries Ltd, not by Trafalgar. They don't have a commercial brewery at Black Creek Pioneer Village and their historic brewery doesn't produce enough volume to issue commercially.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

GregClow wrote:
Huh, interesting.

It would be pretty difficult - if not impossible - for them to brew enough for a full bottling run at the Black Creek location. Maybe one of the Black Creek brewers oversaw it being brewed at Trafalgar?

Whatever the case, I'll have to pick up a bottle soon and give it a shot.
The figurative qualifier is "IT tasted like Trafalgar had nothing to do with it....I could say the same for Hop Nouveau...it also tastes like Trafalgar had nothing to do with the brewing. :wink:

Not meant to be taken literally Greg. :D
Aventinus rules!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I've tried it now and while good, its husky-mocha taste brought to mind more a brown ale or even a Vienna beer than a porter. The roasted/Worcestershire taste seemed lacking, but on the other hand, porter can accommodate a spectrum of tastes.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I on the other hand was stunned and pleased with this beer, and it could easily replace Black Irish for me (I'm getting fed up with sour milk and ashtray flavors, call me picky.)

Gary I wish I knew what you meant, because you know more than me and am not saying you're wrong, but this for me screams PORTER and it makes me want to drink it. Yum!! I bet they can't keep making this quality for the price. Oh uh and the Cask version was puzzling and awful by comparison.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Well, not sure I know more. :) I meant that it has a flavour of dark malts but not the charred/Worcestershire sauce taste I associate with say Sleeman Porter, Black Irish Plain Porter, Sinha Stout, or Fuller's Porter. But porter did have varying tastes over the centuries and I am sure this is one version of it, but not a classic version IMO. I agree with you that Black Irish Plain Porter can taste tart sometimes, when that happens I use it in blending. 2 parts Fuller's Porter with 1 part Black Irish makes a superb vatted (historical) porter.

Gary
Gary Gillman

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

G.M. Gillman wrote: 2 parts Fuller's Porter with 1 part Black Irish makes a superb vatted (historical) porter.

Gary
Good god Gary, you must be very old indeed to say that with such an air of assurance. Surely you didn't try that back in the early 1800s?