Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2010 John By

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

2010 John By

Post by matt7215 »

hows it drinking?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:hows it drinking?
Are you talking about the stuff that came out Jan/Feb this year or is there a fresh batch now?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i checked drinkvine and there is tons of it, im assuming its fresh. if it was last years and this old it would have exploded by now.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:i checked drinkvine and there is tons of it, im assuming its fresh. if it was last years and this old it would have exploded by now.
Nothing in York Region yet.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I found some at Summerhill. It's good, similar to last year, a fresh, uncomplex Impy stout.

Gary
Gary Gillman

notdan

Post by notdan »

Had a few sips last night. Agreed with the above comment... nothing complex but pretty tasty and a good deal.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Glad to hear this is good so far, I have avoided picking it up because every bottle I saw on the LCBO shelves had obvious sediment on the bottom. Strangely this didn't stop me buying the Black Irish a couple weeks ago.

I've read threads on here before about SI/Heritage having contamination problems (and I've run into them and returned the beer), but I haven't seen if anyone knows why EVERYTHING from them has sediment in it lately. It seems to no longer be an occasional problem, but a feature. Have they changed something in their process? I mean I looked at a few bottles of Start's Session Ale with CHUNKS in the bottom.

I have zero problem with beers that aren't clarified, but I don't know if they're doing this on purpose or not.
P.S. Hi, I'm new.

Edit:
So literally seconds after hitting the submit button, I'm rinsing out a bottle of Black Irish a friend of mine brought to a party here Sat and I see the label now says "Our all natural ale is unfiltered"... *facepalm* But I think that is new.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

having my first of the season and it wont be my last. nicely hopped with coffee also in the nose. very hoppy flavour with the dark malt coming in near the end. the finish is bitter. a bit thin and not complex but a decent drinker right now.

ill grab another bottle the next time im in the lcbo.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Had one the other night. I enjoyed it. Tasted more like a coffee porter than an imperial stout to me, but it was tasty nonetheless.

Didn't impress me enough to buy some to cellar though...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'll pick up some bottles tonight, I have a few from last year left and will do a side by side

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ErkLR wrote:Glad to hear this is good so far, I have avoided picking it up because every bottle I saw on the LCBO shelves had obvious sediment on the bottom. Strangely this didn't stop me buying the Black Irish a couple weeks ago.

I've read threads on here before about SI/Heritage having contamination problems (and I've run into them and returned the beer), but I haven't seen if anyone knows why EVERYTHING from them has sediment in it lately. It seems to no longer be an occasional problem, but a feature. Have they changed something in their process? I mean I looked at a few bottles of Start's Session Ale with CHUNKS in the bottom.

I have zero problem with beers that aren't clarified, but I don't know if they're doing this on purpose or not.
P.S. Hi, I'm new.

Edit:
So literally seconds after hitting the submit button, I'm rinsing out a bottle of Black Irish a friend of mine brought to a party here Sat and I see the label now says "Our all natural ale is unfiltered"... *facepalm* But I think that is new.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Londoner on board.

Lots of Scotch Irish at my LCBO store, and I buy it often and it is always good.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Londoner on board.

Lots of Scotch Irish at my LCBO store, and I buy it often and it is always good.
That's good hear, I really WANT them to be really good. It's my favourite ON brewery, probably because Sgt. Major was the first ON craft brew that I really liked. I'll pick up some John By next time I'm near an LCBO.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

2 Bottles, dated L3 - one was great, but the other was an infected mess, reeking of nail polish remover. I was cooking with it, and it completely ruined a stew I was making.

Like many others, I'm done with this brewery. :x

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

John By is on cask now at C'est What. I had a couple last night and loved it. Thick, black, tart, didn't get a lot of coffee presence but it's a mouthful at 8.5%.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:2 Bottles, dated L3 - one was great, but the other was an infected mess, reeking of nail polish remover. I was cooking with it, and it completely ruined a stew I was making.

Like many others, I'm done with this brewery. :x
It's too bad really. Scotch Irish gave us Ontario both a genuine IPA and an Imperial Stout - rare sty;es made here. Just as incredible the same brand offer(ed) a very good porter, a good bitter brown and a great session mild. All the right recipes... could have been a flagship Craft Brewery here.

Also never cook with bad-smelling ingredients LOL! Nail polish remover??
In Beerum Veritas