Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2010 John By

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Agreed.

I picked up a six of Sgt. Major here in town this week and the first two bottles were infected. I returned it for a full refund but they clearly haven't figured out the quality control problems.

Hopefully Kichessippi puts more emphasis on it.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Belgian wrote:
sprague11 wrote:2 Bottles, dated L3 - one was great, but the other was an infected mess, reeking of nail polish remover. I was cooking with it, and it completely ruined a stew I was making.

Like many others, I'm done with this brewery. :x
It's too bad really. Scotch Irish gave us Ontario both a genuine IPA and an Imperial Stout - rare sty;es made here. Just as incredible the same brand offer(ed) a very good porter, a good bitter brown and a great session mild. All the right recipes... could have been a flagship Craft Brewery here.

Also never cook with bad-smelling ingredients LOL! Nail polish remover??
That's the thing that gets me - Scotch Irish products used to be exceptional at one time. I still enjoyed them on tap or Cask when I could find them, but there is something wrong somewhere that the brewery seems unable to fix.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ralphus wrote:
Again, the buyer states the Scotch Irish brands remain with current owners, and not transfer to the new buyers Kichessippi.

Maybe original brewmaster Perry Mason will buy them back? Last Perry checked in he was selling Toyotas (hey there's a company than never had a bad year! It is auspicious for Perry that the recently glitch-plagued Toyota is now stronger than ever for safety rating.)
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:
Ralphus wrote:
Again, the buyer states the Scotch Irish brands remain with current owners, and not transfer to the new buyers Kichessippi.
Yes, but the beers will still be BREWED at the same place. The former Heritage owners are going to be contacting Kichesippi/Heritage to continue brewing the SI beers.

Anyway - all of the anecdotal evidence points to a problem with their bottling line as being the most likely culprit for their infections. This wouldn't have affected Kichesippi up until now, as they've been draught only - but now that they're responsible for bottled product as well, here's hoping they can get the problems sorted once and for all.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote: Anyway - all of the anecdotal evidence points to a problem with their bottling line as being the most likely culprit for their infections. This wouldn't have affected Kichesippi up until now, as they've been draught only - but now that they're responsible for bottled product as well, here's hoping they can get the problems sorted once and for all.
Greg you are a beacon of clarity! Here's hoping Scotch Irish gets to meet its potential.
In Beerum Veritas

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I opened a bottle of this year's Black Currant Rye Lager. Smelled sour, the taste reminded me of the infected Corporal Punishment I had last summer. I couldn't have more than a few drinks and put it aside.

The bottle and the glass I poured most of it into still have a bit of head about 5h later. That's interesting.

Really hoping the problems get fixed, the SI products seem like a crap-shoot anymore. Couldn't get my hands on any John By.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

GregClow wrote:
Anyway - all of the anecdotal evidence points to a problem with their bottling line as being the most likely culprit for their infections. This wouldn't have affected Kichesippi up until now, as they've been draught only - but now that they're responsible for bottled product as well, here's hoping they can get the problems sorted once and for all.
Wondering if it may also simply be that their draft is consumed more freshly, before infection's had a chance to set in. Not ruling out the bottling line, but just putting another theory out there...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ErkLR wrote:I opened a bottle of this year's Black Currant Rye Lager. Smelled sour, the taste reminded me of the infected Corporal Punishment I had last summer. I couldn't have more than a few drinks and put it aside.

The bottle and the glass I poured most of it into still have a bit of head about 5h later. That's interesting.

Really hoping the problems get fixed, the SI products seem like a crap-shoot anymore. Couldn't get my hands on any John By.

The Plain Porter at the LCBO store I work at (200, Argyle Mall, London) has been fresh and tasting great every time I get one. Swing by and grab some! Can't speak for JB though.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

ErkLR wrote:I opened a bottle of this year's Black Currant Rye Lager. Smelled sour, the taste reminded me of the infected Corporal Punishment I had last summer. I couldn't have more than a few drinks and put it aside.

I had the same problem with Black Currant Rye last year. The worst part was I went to one of the brewery seasonal release parties, tried a sample of Black Currant on tap and really liked it. So I bought a few bottles. But when I opened the first one, at most a week later, the beer from the bottle tasted very different from what I tasted at the brewery. Pretty much the same thing happened when I went to the Passion Brew party.

Hopefully in the new year with the new owners they can find a way to change things, since their brewery is super close to my house and if there products were more consistent I would be there all the time. I mean I could probably walk from my house to there in about a third of the time it would take me to drive to Beau's. Yet I have been to Vankleek Hill way more times then I have been to the Heritage Brewery.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Kel Varnsen wrote: I had the same problem with Black Currant Rye last year. The worst part was I went to one of the brewery seasonal release parties, tried a sample of Black Currant on tap and really liked it. So I bought a few bottles. But when I opened the first one, at most a week later, the beer from the bottle tasted very different from what I tasted at the brewery. Pretty much the same thing happened when I went to the Passion Brew party.
Yeah, I really like SI and Heritage, but I've been shying away from their stuff (now that it's finally available in London), because I don't want to have to return it. I'm hoping the problem gets fixed.
SteelbackGuy wrote: The Plain Porter at the LCBO store I work at (200, Argyle Mall, London) has been fresh and tasting great every time I get one. Swing by and grab some! Can't speak for JB though.
I've noticed Argyle has a pretty good selection, but I'm in the downtown core so I never get out that way. I usually hit up Masonville, or if I'm on my way to Windsor, White Oakes or Power Centre.