Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Warmers 2010

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGoy wrote: Another Londoner on the forums, excellent.........we are the true beer lovers, and will assimilate the T dot soon..
"Geographically challenged" is another way of saying it. Bwahahahahaaaahhhhh...
In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Hello to all,

For those interested in ST Creme Brulee Stout, there are apparently 30 cases in the Ottawa warehouse. Please inquire with your local store managers about bringing it in to your closest LCBO. If you have any difficulty getting them to order some please let us know.

Best regards,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

MasterChiefP

Post by MasterChiefP »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Another Londoner on the forums, excellent.........we are the true beer lovers, and will assimilate the T dot soon.

No word on the St B, but rest assured if you want some contact me, and I will poach it from GTA stores at their expense.
Poaching from the GTA at their expense sounds awesome and yes us Londoners are true beer lovers. I did already place an order for this at the LCBO near me so I think I'm good for this release, even though they almost messed up my Koningshoven order. Let me see what happens when the beer actually starts showing up.

Thanks,
Paul

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

MasterChiefP wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Another Londoner on the forums, excellent.........we are the true beer lovers, and will assimilate the T dot soon.

No word on the St B, but rest assured if you want some contact me, and I will poach it from GTA stores at their expense.
Poaching from the GTA at their expense sounds awesome and yes us Londoners are true beer lovers. I did already place an order for this at the LCBO near me so I think I'm good for this release, even though they almost messed up my Koningshoven order. Let me see what happens when the beer actually starts showing up.

Thanks,
Paul

I can order whatever you want for a personal order. Just did it for some friends and the result was great for them, as they got a good haul of stuff that was somewhat hard to get. The beauty of having me at a store looking out for you is that if I know a few people that are looking for a particular beer, I just make sure it doesn't get out to the floor. I put my name on it it is instantly on hold till I figure out who wants what. Do it all the time to hook my friends up.

Call me at Argyle Mall LCBO anytime to arrange an order.

Len
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob »

Just wasted 40 minutes going to the only Waterloo LCBO with "stock" of the Traquair Jacobite Ale. 24 bottles listed online, not a trace of it in the store. Not even a spot on the shelf. Staff didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I guess I will try the Kitchener location next. I wonder if they can one-up Waterloo and lose 54 bottles.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bob_McBob wrote:Just wasted 40 minutes going to the only Waterloo LCBO with "stock" of the Traquair Jacobite Ale. 24 bottles listed online, not a trace of it in the store. Not even a spot on the shelf. Staff didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I guess I will try the Kitchener location next. I wonder if they can one-up Waterloo and lose 54 bottles.

Did you call them before ahead of time? to ensure the bottles were there and or available?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Bob_McBob wrote:Just wasted 40 minutes going to the only Waterloo LCBO with "stock" of the Traquair Jacobite Ale. 24 bottles listed online, not a trace of it in the store. Not even a spot on the shelf. Staff didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I had a similar experience at King & Northfield in Waterloo with the Box Steam. Didn't see it on the shelf, so asked someone. Was told "I've never heard of it, we don't carry it." I told the guy it was a seasonal release and it shows that its in stock online, he said, ohhh, we call those one offs, once they're gone, they're gone. We asked him if he could check the system or the back, and he said if its not out on the shelves they don't have it. I was asked to check stock so I pulled up the lcbo site on my phone and showed him it said there was 12 and he finally went to check, a minute later he came out with a box of 12 with no apologies, not that I cared for one, proving him wrong was fun enough.

I generally don't have issues at the lcbo, most of the time associates have been quite helpful. Even after that douche I had someone help me with wine who was great, but there was a lot that went wrong there today.

If only there was a Len in every lcbo.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Kish84 wrote: We asked him if he could check the system or the back, and he said if its not out on the shelves they don't have it...I pulled up the lcbo site on my phone and showed him it said there was 12 and he finally went to check, a minute later he came out with a box of 12 with no apologies.
Typical occurrence at the LCBO. These are the benefits of a Prohibition-era, unionized government monopoly over retail alcohol sales. And from my experience, Len is a complete anomaly among Control Board employees. But you've been to multiple independent liquor stores in the U.S., so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. :D

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Kish84 wrote:If only there was a Len in every lcbo.
If I was paid close to what I'm making now and essentially be a product expert plus do any other tasks except for cashier, I'd love to work at the LCBO across the street from me. I'm sick of IT and want to do something completely different.

I've been really tempted to ask a particular helpful knowledgeable woman working at that LCBO about her job.
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Kish84 wrote:
Bob_McBob wrote:
If only there was a Len in every lcbo.

Thanks Kishan/John. Much appreciated.

I do think I make a difference, albeit a very small one, every single day. As do all of our brewers and beer lovers country wide. Vote with your dollars, knowledge, and passion.

Lister, you should apply. Keep your job, and do the LCBO part time a couple times a week. See if you like it, make some extra cash and go from there. GTA is probably always hiring.

Len

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

We all agree that the site should list real time inventory?

Get it done already! :)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

In the meantime, it takes all but a minute to call a store to double check.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

just picked up a couple Box Steam D & H. just curious, anyone know if this stuff is bottle conditioned or not?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Lister, you should apply. Keep your job, and do the LCBO part time a couple times a week. See if you like it, make some extra cash and go from there. GTA is probably always hiring.
Yeah except most part time jobs don't work so well when you're in IT where you're basically available 24/7 for issues. I don't think "Hey, I gotta go deal with a server problem!" will fly too well with the LCBO manager.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

684852 / Trafalgar Bock / TRAFALGAR ALES AND MEADS LTD. / 6.5 / 650 / $4.50 / CANADA
Well THAT was a purely academic exercise. I suggest if you have no intentions to rate this stuff and then go back to refund a fouled bottle, buy something else. I'm not paying the cost of two cans Czechvar for one bomber of this acidic, infected and weird-tasting beer.

That's just MHO, make your own call on this and good luck.
In Beerum Veritas