Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sad Adams Winter Lager

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Sad Adams Winter Lager

Post by Gedge »

I'm liking this one. There's a detectable spiciness, but it's subdued enough (and the ABV is low enough) that you can have more than one it doesn't kill your palate.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Sad Adams is my favourite patriot/brewer/depressive.
saintjohnswort.ca

duncan

Post by duncan »

He's a second cousin of Gomez.

Tony L

Post by Tony L »

I don't think I have ever had a SA that I didn't enjoy. The winter was excellent.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yum. I drank one of these from a brown paper bag exploring the beautiful streets of South Beach, Miami in New Years of 2009.

It's foamy!!!
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Tony L wrote:I don't think I have ever had a SA that I didn't enjoy. The winter was excellent.
You've obviously never tried their Cherry Cough Syrup.

Tony L

Post by Tony L »

mintjellie wrote:
Tony L wrote:I don't think I have ever had a SA that I didn't enjoy. The winter was excellent.
And I think I'll pass on that. Not much into fruit flavoured brews.
Mort Subite excepted.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Tony L wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
And I think I'll pass on that. Not much into fruit flavoured brews.
Mort Subite excepted.
I would be fine with it if it tasted like fruit instead of cough syrup. The Sam Adams, I mean.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Their winter lager back in the mid-90s was a dunkel weizenbock. It was heavy duty stuff, to the point where I was in Logan Airport flying out for Christmas; missed my flight because I was at the SA Brewhouse in terminal C while my flight was in A. Went back to the Brewhouse and got absolutely smashed on the stuff. Slept in the airport that night, threw up on myself, and had a bomb of a headache the next morning.

This version is much gentler on oneself.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Doesn't appear to have made it west past Oakville yet. Hoping to change that on Monday.

Did try it awhile ago at Applebees in the States and had no complaints.

Mintjellie, you are correct, that cherry cough syrup was nasty. I wonder if you actually had a cold or sore throat would it taste good. Maybe you wouldn't care.

acromion23

Post by acromion23 »

Hamilton Brian wrote:Their winter lager back in the mid-90s was a dunkel weizenbock. It was heavy duty stuff, to the point where I was in Logan Airport flying out for Christmas; missed my flight because I was at the SA Brewhouse in terminal C while my flight was in A. Went back to the Brewhouse and got absolutely smashed on the stuff. Slept in the airport that night, threw up on myself, and had a bomb of a headache the next morning.

I'm shopping around for universities. This puts McMaster ahead a little bit, because we can hang out.
かんぱい。

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Caught up with this recently, on draft at Spirits Bar & Restaurant. It struck me immediately as a variant of Sam Adams's Summer Ale: similarly citric, dryish, pepper/clovey, but a little darker and richer. The Summer Ale is to my recollection in the German wheat beer style, however at the end of the day, it and the Winter Lager strike their own path. It's a good drink and excellent with food.

It's like a cross between an American wheat beer and a red wine, with a sprinkling of black pepper and clove.

Gary
Gary Gillman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

6 packs just arrived at my store, so will be trying it this evening.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hamilton Brian wrote:Their winter lager back in the mid-90s was a dunkel weizenbock. It was heavy duty stuff, to the point where I was in Logan Airport flying out for Christmas; missed my flight because I was at the SA Brewhouse in terminal C while my flight was in A. Went back to the Brewhouse and got absolutely smashed on the stuff. Slept in the airport that night, threw up on myself, and had a bomb of a headache the next morning.

Ha! Post of the day!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Just got around to trying this from a sixer I had stashed for a while. It's easy to see why this seasonal has been brewed since the late 80s. Easy drinking, flavorful and unique. Malty, spicey, hoppy, bit of roast and a light dry finish.....me likka varry mucha.

Wish there was more to buy :cry:
Aventinus rules!