Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Online Ordering

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sweetback

Online Ordering

Post by sweetback »

Is it legal to purchase alcohol online and have it shipped to Ontario.

thanks

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

There's a long answer, which is a 'yes but..'

However, the practical answer is a resounding no.

Legality and whether you can suceed are not one and the same though...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bobsy wrote:There's a long answer, which is a 'yes but..'

And to further that point, most on-line stores won't ship to Ontario. Period. The only way to do it is to buy/trade from an individual and hope it makes it to your door...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Bobsy wrote:There's a long answer, which is a 'yes but..'

And to further that point, most on-line stores won't ship to Ontario. Period. The only way to do it is to buy/trade from an individual and hope it makes it to your door...
Depends if you want to pay to have it shipped back if caught by CBSA
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I just tried an order from the Struise Yeast Store... they seem to think they can get into Canada. We'll see I guess. After all, it is just "yeast" they are selling.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

kwjd wrote:I just tried an order from the Struise Yeast Store... they seem to think they can get into Canada. We'll see I guess. After all, it is just "yeast" they are selling.
Clever. Whatever you do, do not drink anything they send! They are not suitable for consumption!

The Sale of Yeast.

Beerinvest.eu does promote beers on its shop, but sells the yeast that is available for every beer presently listed on the webshop. You pay for the bottle and the yeast, not the carrier of that yeast. All items sold on this webshop are not suitable for consumption.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

phirleh wrote: Clever. Whatever you do, do not drink anything they send! They are not suitable for consumption!

The Sale of Yeast.

Beerinvest.eu does promote beers on its shop, but sells the yeast that is available for every beer presently listed on the webshop. You pay for the bottle and the yeast, not the carrier of that yeast. All items sold on this webshop are not suitable for consumption.
For sure. I just wanted the yeast from the Westy 12. The alcoholic solution the yeast is contained in will certainly go down the drain.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Can you ship to Quebec? I work in Quebec and can have it shipped to my work.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

A company in Nova Scotia used to ship cross Canada, but recently changed so it's NS only. they got in some trouble shipping to ON if memory serves me correct

Spab

Post by Spab »

sweetback wrote:Is it legal to purchase alcohol online and have it shipped to Ontario.
Not if you're the LCBO. Otherwise, yes. The (federal) Importation of Intoxicating Liquors Act says,
Notwithstanding any other Act or law, no person shall import, send, take or transport, or cause to be imported, sent, taken or transported, into any province from or out of any place within or outside Canada any intoxicating liquor, except such as has been purchased by or on behalf of, and that is consigned to Her Majesty or the executive government of, the province into which it is being imported, sent, taken or transported, or any board, commission, officer or other governmental agency that, by the law of the province, is vested with the right of selling intoxicating liquor.
On the other hand, some people think that's unconstitutional at least as it relates to shipments from other provinces.