Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

San Diego

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

San Diego

Post by cannondale »

Flying down for work in a couple of weeks. I'll probably be there 3 or 4 days, and I'll have a car. Where the heck should I go for a beer??
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Not that I've ever been, but please tell me you're planning on going to Stone.
Also this place looks like it has a great list, http://www.sdtaproom.com/

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

stone for sure. lost abbey is a cool stop. alesmith is good too if you're around when they're open. o'briens has tasty beer (and a cask on thursdays if i remember correctly). toronado sd is also good. and while i didn't get a chance to drink anything at pizza port carlsbad (they were closing as we arrived), it looked pretty cool.

if you wnat to venture further north, hollingshead deli and the bruery in orange county both kick serious ass.

if you head east, alpine is supposed to be pretty good, but i was told to check what's on tap before making the drive out as there isn't a whole lot else out that way.

other resources:
beermapping san diego
beefly guide for san diego
(assuming there's something from ratebeer if you're one of those)

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I ended up going to:
The Yard House (massive tap selection, decent menu)
Karl Strauss - Sorrento Mesa (beautiful site with a Japanese garden and koi pond)
The Beer Co. (good draft selection, lots of Cali micro's)
Neighborhood (fantastic draft and bottle selection and the 'secret' bar Noble Experiment is fairly neat)

Heading back next week. This time I'll be staying north of the city (hilton torrey pines), so I'll be able to hit some of the sites out that way (Stone, Alesmith, etc.) that I didn't get to last time.

I'll also have a few hours layover at San Francisco airport on my way out, so I'll have to check out the Anchor Brewing restaurant there.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Bump Cannondale!

I am planning on heading out there this year and will have a car. What did you think of Alesmith and Stone?

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

iguenard wrote:Bump Cannondale!

I am planning on heading out there this year and will have a car. What did you think of Alesmith and Stone?
I wish I could tell you Ian, but unfortunately I never made it to either. One of the downsides of travelling with or meeting colleagues on business trips, is that you are often unable to choose your entertainment agenda!

I enjoyed plenty of good beer on that trip (in particular several Lost Abbey products) however, other than a Karl Strauss, I didn't make it to any beer destinations of note!

I guarantee you will enjoy San Diego! I love that area, cant wait to go back.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Anyone have any experiences hitting the breweries of SD but without their own car (ie limo, tour, etc.?). Looking for alternate routes to brewery tour without a DD!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Hey Cass. Ill be there in Octobre and what I thought I'd do is post in the BeerAdvocate and Ratebeer trade forums a thread titled : "FT: box of Canadian beers. iSO: San Diego tour guide"

Haven't done that yet but I'm pretty sure I won't have any trouble getting a beer buddy with a car versus some Cantillon and Charlevoix beers :)

I'll let you know how that turns out.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Nice idea! I'm actually heading down in September. Will report back anything we figure out!

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

Don't know if their brewery is worth checking out, but the few beers I've had from Alpine have brought a tear to my eye. Their Nelson is truly stunning.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I am heading out there on the 30th for a few days. Planning to hit the Stone Brewpub, Toronado, Linkery, Yard House, Karl Straus and DOwntown Johnny Browns. Looking forward to a beer coma!

I wish that some of the brewries/tasting rooms were closer to downtown so I could hit AleSmith, Ballast Point, etc.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm booked for the Labour Day weekend in SD, staying in La Jolla. And on that note, evidently the head brewer from Alesmith went to the La Jolla brewhouse earlier in the year. Definitely worth checking out!

http://lajolla.patch.com/articles/alesm ... lden-child

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I am heading out there on the 30th for a few days. Planning to hit the Stone Brewpub, Toronado, Linkery, Yard House, Karl Straus and DOwntown Johnny Browns. Looking forward to a beer coma!

I wish that some of the brewries/tasting rooms were closer to downtown so I could hit AleSmith, Ballast Point, etc.
I highly recommend: http://www.neighborhoodsd.com/menu-beer-tap.php

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

cannondale wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I am heading out there on the 30th for a few days. Planning to hit the Stone Brewpub, Toronado, Linkery, Yard House, Karl Straus and DOwntown Johnny Browns. Looking forward to a beer coma!

Added to my list. Thanks!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
cannondale wrote:

Added to my list. Thanks!
And send an RSVP to gain entry to 'hidden' bar Noble Experiment in the back. It's worth checking out...

http://www.nobleexperimentsd.com/