Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Craft Brewer Definition

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

mintjellie wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Funny thing happened in Montreal a while ago. I was in a nice restaurant and I asked what they had on tap. When they told me Canadian, I asked them why they would advertise good local food, but not offer good local beer. First the server said it was local. Then he corrected himself and said, "well I guess it is from Canada, so maybe not"
Canadian is a local beer in Montreal. Montreal is where MolsonCoors is headquartered. The brewery there has been in operation since Molsons was founded in the late 1700s. You made that poor waiter look like an idiot over a decision his employer made that he has no say in.

I have to admit, I had to go back and edit this because my original reply was a bit angrier in tone.
I think you missed two points here.

First I said "good local beer" :wink:

Secondly, the fact that the waiter implied that Canadian was from Canada and hence not local to Quebec, was what I got the biggest laugh out of. That is where he made himself look like an idiot - no help from me.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Tapsucker wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Funny thing happened in Montreal a while ago. I was in a nice restaurant and I asked what they had on tap. When they told me Canadian, I asked them why they would advertise good local food, but not offer good local beer. First the server said it was local. Then he corrected himself and said, "well I guess it is from Canada, so maybe not"
Canadian is a local beer in Montreal. Montreal is where MolsonCoors is headquartered. The brewery there has been in operation since Molsons was founded in the late 1700s. You made that poor waiter look like an idiot over a decision his employer made that he has no say in.

I have to admit, I had to go back and edit this because my original reply was a bit angrier in tone.

Secondly, the fact that the waiter implied that Canadian was from Canada and hence not local to Quebec, was what I got the biggest laugh out of. That is where he made himself look like an idiot - no help from me.
I don't think you can objectively claim that macro lagers are bad. As much as we might laugh about people being brainwashed by marketing, the people that drink these beers genuinely enjoy them. A lot of them aren't even poorly made, they may not be craft but they are consistent, and a lot of them are very clean as well. You may not like the style, but thats a subjective judgement and not an objective fact.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

mintjellie wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:
mintjellie wrote: Canadian is a local beer in Montreal. Montreal is where MolsonCoors is headquartered. The brewery there has been in operation since Molsons was founded in the late 1700s. You made that poor waiter look like an idiot over a decision his employer made that he has no say in.

I don't think you can objectively claim that macro lagers are bad. As much as we might laugh about people being brainwashed by marketing, the people that drink these beers genuinely enjoy them. A lot of them aren't even poorly made, they may not be craft but they are consistent, and a lot of them are very clean as well. You may not like the style, but thats a subjective judgement and not an objective fact.
You can't objectively complain that McDonald's is bad either, it is consistent and some people really enjoy it. It doesn't mean it should be acceptable that a nice restaurant will serve McDonald's quality food or serve macro lagers.