Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Heineken

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Worst hangover beer ever.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Malcolm wrote:Worst hangover beer ever.
hangover causing or to drink while hungover?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Good question - hangover causing, in my experience. But I definitely wouldn't touch it while hungover, either.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Steve Beaumont wrote:That said, I think Heineken has come up with some method of controlling the skunk in their beer, as it has been a considerable time since I have had one that was skunky.
I'm no chemist, but can't they just throw additives into it to stabilize the hops so they don't mutate into skunk? Some chemical garbage to REALLY put my hangover right over the edge?
In Beerum Veritas

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Without meaning to disrespect anyone's opinion I find Heini to be one of the lousiest beers around...with Grolsch not far behind. Perhaps the style is just not for me. I could almost say I would rather have a glass of water...

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Disagreements on taste there will always be... I find the flavour of European blonde lager - the decent and excellent ones - quite strong and distinctive.

Gary
Gary Gillman

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Agreed Gary and there are several European blondes that I do enjoy but I never have been able to get over that skunky taste and I have definitiely tried.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Back in the day as a student at U of T, I remember drinking Heineken from a bottle at bars and from the LCBO and thinking "How do people drink this, must be me". It wasnt till several years later that I had the draft at a restaurant in Florida and couldnt believe how good it tasted, well relative to the stuff in TO.

I have it occasionaly when out, I believe The Turtle Jacks chain carries it on draft still.

As for worst hangover, Stella Artois, just seeing it activates the gag reflex.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Ooh, I just remembered a great Heineken story.

About 10 years ago, I had a short lived band that was called the Men of Wealth and Taste. We decided that we would only be seen drinking Heineken at the clubs we played because we needed to "look the part." Well, after a couple bottles each at our first show, we all said, "screw this, this beer is terrible and overpriced." So we went back to drinking Calgary.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I can't help but think of Blue Velvet...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:I can't help but think of Blue Velvet...
this never stops being funny.

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Calgary Export Ale. I remember that from wayyyy back!
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step