Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stout Irish Pub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TJ

Post by TJ »

TwoPint wrote:By all means check it out. It's a nice place with pleasant staff. But pick your spots. The price of the King Pilsner was in line with other establishments.
I plan to next weekend; it's too close not to.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Toronto Life put up a feature of S.I.P.:

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily- ... beer-list/

TJ

Post by TJ »

I popped in yesterday to check it out. What a great space. Very cosy and comfortable and full of nice people.

The tap selection is pretty much what was listed above. It isn’t anything overly exciting, obviously, but for an Irish pub it’s certainly several notches above most and it’s always nice to see support for Ontario brewers.

The beer knowledge of the bartender wasn’t the greatest, but she admitted as much. As an example, one of their kitchen staff was sitting at the bar and said he wanted a flight of four ales of her choosing, so she poured him samples of Cameron’s Auburn Ale, Tankhouse, Crazy Canuck, and St Andre’s Vienna Lager. (Turns out his favourite ale was the lager.)

I ordered the Sgt Major which, I’ll admit I haven’t had in a while, but it was pale gold and flavourless and my guess is it’s the Stuart's Natural Session Ale (if it was anything from Scotch Irish at all). The bartender was adamant it ws the Sgt Major without bothering to do any kind of investigation, but she was kind enough to exchange it for something else. So I had the St Andre, which wasn’t tasting especially fresh.

They have a okayish bottle selection of Ontario micros as well. I had the F&M Oatmeal Coffee Stout. They also had bottles of MacLeans Pale Ale, Netherworld, Griffon Rousse, various Cameron’s, various F&M, Mill Street Coffee Porter, various Barley Days, various Scotch Irish, Nickel Brook Gluten Free, etc.

We ordered nachos, which were okay. They were light on the cheese, which was overcooked and dry, and it was all just on top. And considering they seem to be pushing the pedigree of their chef, I was surprised they were served with store-bought guacamole. It’s not like it’s hard to make.

Anyway that probably all sounds negative, but I did really enjoy it there and I plan to go back for dinner soon to check out the food, especially the deep fried pickles. I see a brunch in my future there as well.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

TJ wrote:I popped in yesterday to check it out. What a great space. Very cosy and comfortable and full of nice people.

The tap selection is pretty much what was listed above. It isn’t anything overly exciting, obviously, but for an Irish pub it’s certainly several notches above most and it’s always nice to see support for Ontario brewers.

The beer knowledge of the bartender wasn’t the greatest, but she admitted as much. As an example, one of their kitchen staff was sitting at the bar and said he wanted a flight of four ales of her choosing, so she poured him samples of Cameron’s Auburn Ale, Tankhouse, Crazy Canuck, and St Andre’s Vienna Lager. (Turns out his favourite ale was the lager.)

I ordered the Sgt Major which, I’ll admit I haven’t had in a while, but it was pale gold and flavourless and my guess is it’s the Stuart's Natural Session Ale (if it was anything from Scotch Irish at all). The bartender was adamant it ws the Sgt Major without bothering to do any kind of investigation, but she was kind enough to exchange it for something else. So I had the St Andre, which wasn’t tasting especially fresh.

They have a okayish bottle selection of Ontario micros as well. I had the F&M Oatmeal Coffee Stout. They also had bottles of MacLeans Pale Ale, Netherworld, Griffon Rousse, various Cameron’s, various F&M, Mill Street Coffee Porter, various Barley Days, various Scotch Irish, Nickel Brook Gluten Free, etc.

We ordered nachos, which were okay. They were light on the cheese, which was overcooked and dry, and it was all just on top. And considering they seem to be pushing the pedigree of their chef, I was surprised they were served with store-bought guacamole. It’s not like it’s hard to make.

Anyway that probably all sounds negative, but I did really enjoy it there and I plan to go back for dinner soon to check out the food, especially the deep fried pickles. I see a brunch in my future there as well.
The deep fried pickles were awesome. They were served with a cucumber-wasabi sauce which was nice, but mild. I'm surprised the guac was store bought, as the waiter who delivered the pickles said all of their sauces were made in-house. I popped in Saturday night for a late dinner, and it was packed. We both had the beef stew, which was solid. Enjoyed a couple pints of GL Canuck Pale Ale as well. I'll be back.

TJ

Post by TJ »

JesseMcG wrote:The deep fried pickles were awesome.
Agreed. So much so that we ordered a second helping after much deliberation. The Canuck Pale Ale was tasting pretty good too. Much better than the bottles I've had in the past.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I was here last week. Food was pretty good (I had the stew made with Devil's Pale Ale) and a nice enough beer list (already posted in thread). If I lived closer, I could see going there more often.