Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LIst of Canadian homebrew competitions?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

elproducto

LIst of Canadian homebrew competitions?

Post by elproducto »

Starting to get the urge to try having my beers judged. I'm unable to find a list of competitions I could enter from here in Ontario.

Is there such a list?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

elproducto wrote:Starting to get the urge to try having my beers judged. I'm unable to find a list of competitions I could enter from here in Ontario.

Is there such a list?
www.canadianbreweroftheyear.com - this website doesn't have all the dates up, but Calgary's entry deadline is Feb 19 (just go to the Cowtown Yeast Wranglers website). The rest of the comps run from March to late May.

The Ales Open in Regina has an entry deadline of April 7th. In my heavily biased opinion, this is the best competition in Canada - lots of entries, lots of certified judges, typically 3 judges per panel (lots of comps only have 2 judges per panel, with only 1 being certified), insane prize packages for all medal winners, rock bottom entry fees ($5/entry), and if you win you advance to the NHC (the largest and arguably most prestigous homebrew comp in the world). Anyways, I will create a new thread on here in due time for this comp.
Last edited by markaberrant on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Thank you.

How does shipping homebrew in Canada work?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

elproducto wrote:Thank you.

How does shipping homebrew in Canada work?
I don't ship homebrew, but if someone did do such a thing, you don't have to declare contents when shipping in Canada. And bubble wrap is your friend.
Last edited by markaberrant on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tony L

Post by Tony L »

And don't forget March in Montreal which will be comming up very soon.

The ALES comp is one tough cookie to crack. You have to have really good beer to score a medal in that one. Entering a comp is all about getting great feedback on your brews so you can improve.
The Yeast Wranglers comp is another great comp also. Seems like the western comps attract a higher caliber of brews. Either that, or that more people enter, which means stiffer competition.

loudman

Post by loudman »

elproducto wrote:Starting to get the urge to try having my beers judged. I'm unable to find a list of competitions I could enter from here in Ontario.

Is there such a list?
http://www.homebrewers.ca/

CABA has the most seniority wrt national competitions in Canada, including Homebrewer of the Year. There's several BJCP sanctioned events per year including the Great Canadian Homebrew Competition and March in Montreal (coming up). Also has the only Grandmaster BJCP Judge in Canada, Paul Dickey, that oversees most of their competitions. Check out their site for upcoming competitions, many of which take place in Toronto at The Rhino -so you don't have to worry about shipping (assuming you are local to GTA).

To ALES credit, they run a mean lean competition and most of the homebrew heavyweights duke it out in the ALES run NHC. Excellent swag and judging sheet comments too.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

I emailed someone from the Muskoka Beer Fest, and they are planning a homebrew comp this year.

Great news, since that's where I live.

Tony L

Post by Tony L »

Don't appear that there will be a March in Montreal this year.

There is always http://www.ehg.ca/ABC also.