Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nørrebro Bryghus brewery feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Just picked up a bottle of the Var Triple and the Julebry at the Hwy 7 and Woodbine store yesterday. They still have a bunch of each left.

Picked up a bottle of the other three at the AOB store on Thursday.

I have the whole set... woohoo!
8)

I'm still heart-broken for not winning a Utopias though.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

icemachine wrote:All 5 Nørrebro beers in at Yonge & 7, all grouped together on the shelf, with cards identifying them as a brewery feature. I was so amazed I stopped to take a picture at which point I was reprimanded by a clerk that taking pictures is not allowed. I was a bit confused, but told him I wanted to congratulate the store on getting everything out, together and labeled. He said they did it for every feature, when I knew has not been true for that store and mentioned so, which he vigorously disagreed with.

Rather than push it , I let it drop, at which point he started telling about not taking pictures again. I just walked away at that point, he wasn't happy, but I didn't need to listen to the old man jawing when I could be home drinking these beers.
Seriously? At that point I would have informed him that, as a taxpayer, you are a shareholder/part owner of his company, and proceeded to photograph the entire store!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Was out in Orleans in Ottawa tonight and walked in on a whim. And lo and behold 2 bottles of Val Tripel staring me in the face. Picked them both up along with a Korkny, man that's pricey.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

What the heck happened to all the Tripel?! Does seem like we got very much ..... I suppose the lcbo only got a small amount?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

robinvboyer wrote:What the heck happened to all the Tripel?! Does seem like we got very much ..... I suppose the lcbo only got a small amount?
i bought the only bottle of it i ever saw. there wasnt much to go around.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:
robinvboyer wrote:What the heck happened to all the Tripel?! Does seem like we got very much ..... I suppose the lcbo only got a small amount?
i bought the only bottle of it i ever saw. there wasnt much to go around.
I didn't even see a single bottle near me. That said, based on the rest of the release (I did try all of the other ones) I am not terribly disappointed.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

I was in Kingston last Saturday and sprang for a bottle of the Little Korkny Ale, which was the last of the five released that I purchased. I had to swallow hard after looking at the $21 price, but I'm a bit of a completist by nature, so not having one of these was bothering me a bit.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

BooBoo wrote:I was in Kingston last Saturday and sprang for a bottle of the Little Korkny Ale, which was the last of the five released that I purchased. I had to swallow hard after looking at the $21 price, but I'm a bit of a completist by nature, so not having one of these was bothering me a bit.
As long as you don't like carbonation in your beer, you'll like it :)

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
BooBoo wrote:I was in Kingston last Saturday and sprang for a bottle of the Little Korkny Ale, which was the last of the five released that I purchased. I had to swallow hard after looking at the $21 price, but I'm a bit of a completist by nature, so not having one of these was bothering me a bit.
As long as you don't like carbonation in your beer, you'll like it :)
Already had it...and you're correct about the carbonation. Think it would benefit from a bit of aging, but at that price I wasn't prepared to buy enough to test that theory. LOL!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

You haven"t seen their 'complete' list of products, have you... :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I was too late to the party to pick up any of the Triple, but I'm really enjoying the Bombay Pale Ale. The Julebryg I enjoyed but found it not as full bodied as I expected.

I noticed at the LCBO there are two different labels for the Stout, one advertising the espresso and one without. I picked up the one without, thinking it was a new flavour, but when I got home I saw the label on the back still advertised the coffee. I found it pretty decent the first time around so I'm not disappointed.

The pricey Little Korkny is still in the fridge awaiting some special event which would cause me to want to drink a $22 bottle of beer.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Inkling wrote:I was too late to the party to pick up any of the Triple, but I'm really enjoying the Bombay Pale Ale. The Julebryg I enjoyed but found it not as full bodied as I expected.

I noticed at the LCBO there are two different labels for the Stout, one advertising the espresso and one without. I picked up the one without, thinking it was a new flavour, but when I got home I saw the label on the back still advertised the coffee. I found it pretty decent the first time around so I'm not disappointed.

The pricey Little Korkny is still in the fridge awaiting some special event which would cause me to want to drink a $22 bottle of beer.
You might not want to save it for too special of an event. I found it rather unbalanced and too boozy IMO. I ended up returning 2 of the 3 I picked up.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Julebryg

A / 4.35 rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Murky brown colour shows intense garnet highlights. Small taupe head quickly dissipates to a thin wisp around the edges. Big gingerbread aroma, with the cloves and ginger combining with the sweet doughy malt to form a scent reminiscent of those quintessential yuletide cookies. Nice doughy pumpernickel flavour also gives it a bit of tang, while the Christmas spices lend it depth and complexity. The ginger gives the beer a subtle prickle of warmth. Moderately sweet. It tastes like something Santa would love to indulge in after finding it waiting for him on the mantle. Medium bodied with a soft, light carbonation. Feels smooth and rich on the palate. This is a wonderful winter warmer, it's comforting cookie-like profile well suited to cold nights spent by warm fireplaces. Rock solid.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 05-06-2011 01:59:24

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Somehow 4 bottles of the Tripel randomly showed up at one of the Mississauga locations a week or so ago. Looks like 2 bottles still remain for anyone interested. I figured they would have sold instantly given the limited supply of that particular beer...

Soods

Post by Soods »

Saw the tripel today in Bloor and Royal York LCBO.

LCBO website shows it in 11 different stores right now.