Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:
Derek wrote:
ritzkiss wrote: What do you think? I have a couple of these coming to me and am pretty excited for them!
After the Fat Tug I thought this would be a bitter hop bomb, but it totally isn't. Great balance for a brew of this strength, with plenty of depth of flavour (nothing over-bearing). Great stuff.
Nice. I'm on Vancouver Island in 2 weeks and I'm hoping to pick a couple of bottles up (if there's any left), in addition to the Phillips Hop Box.

Drinking a Dead Frog Citra IPA right now.
I can try and get 2 bottles of the Singularity put away for you, if you want? Got a good contact at a store in West Van.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Garrison Winter Warmer, I`m hoping a buddy of mine is able to pick up a Glenora Ol`Fog Burner for me too in Halifax, that sounds amazing!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

phirleh wrote:Garrison Winter Warmer, I`m hoping a buddy of mine is able to pick up a Glenora Ol`Fog Burner for me too in Halifax, that sounds amazing!
I'm right there with you - I'd love to get my hands on both the barrel aged, and the new 11.3% versions. Although the latter should be much easier to acquire. The bottles of OFB from the brewmaster's mix are tasting fantastic, certainly my favourite from that order.

Drinking my first batch of homebrew - it taste like beer! Looks like I'm addicted..

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Cale wrote:
phirleh wrote:Garrison Winter Warmer, I`m hoping a buddy of mine is able to pick up a Glenora Ol`Fog Burner for me too in Halifax, that sounds amazing!
I'm right there with you - I'd love to get my hands on both the barrel aged, and the new 11.3% versions. Although the latter should be much easier to acquire. The bottles of OFB from the brewmaster's mix are tasting fantastic, certainly my favourite from that order.

Drinking my first batch of homebrew - it taste like beer! Looks like I'm addicted..
Congrats on the homebrew, it`s a slippery slope. It wasn`t long until I was carting home 50 pound sacks of grain.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Grand River Russian Gun, while getting ready for the new Top Gear episode! Is it wrong that I didn't go back after realising that they scanned my 2 Galt Knife & 2 Russian Gun through as 4 Galt Knifes (knives)? :) FWIW the gun tastes much better at $3.10.

I also found it odd that one of the Guns is a January bottling, while the other one is from the end of November.
Last edited by Streets on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Streets wrote:I also found it odd that one of the Guns is a January bottling, while the other one is from the end of November.
They did do a tasting of stouts and porters in January, probably to coincide with the release of this year`s Russian Gun. Look for their Curmudgeon IPA at the LCBO too soon, came out at the brewery this month. I had a Russian Gun last week from a year ago, tastes great with a bit of age.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

phirleh wrote:. Look for their Curmudgeon IPA at the LCBO too soon, came out at the brewery this month.
I believe it is part of the Feb 27th Spring Release, isn't it?

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Chimay Premiere.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

St. Ambroise Vintage Ale 2007, still drinking strong and delicious with dry cherry and fruit coming forward. Honey and citrus. Wotta beer. In the words of our friend Mabel 'you are Belgian from Bartowel - do you post a lot?'

Enjoyed the 2007 VA with authentic Nürnburger-style Brats done on a gas grill dug out of the snowy back yard, Canadian style! ;) Gosh those were good.
In Beerum Veritas

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

BooBoo wrote:Chimay Premiere.
Always a sentimental favorite. My first flavourful beer.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Belgian wrote:St. Ambroise Vintage Ale 2007, still drinking strong and delicious with dry cherry and fruit coming forward. Honey and citrus. Wotta beer. In the words of our friend Mabel 'you are Belgian from Bartowel - do you post a lot?'

Enjoyed the 2007 VA with authentic Nürnburger-style Brats done on a gas grill dug out of the snowy back yard, Canadian style! ;) Gosh those were good.
Holy shee-yoot. 5000 posts! Congrats Belgian!

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Got some nugget nector at the consumer beverage in niagara falls new york. only had 3 24's left in the isle. guy said they got the shipment thursday and theres was almost gone. Great tasting brew. Reminds me alot of lagunitas little sumpn sumpn ale. Says 93 ibus but the bitterness doesnt liger at all. TONES of late hops which give a wonderful flavor and aroms. definetly an a+ beer.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

HUB 7 Grain Survival Stout

Oakshire Overcast Espresso Stout

Gonzo Imperial Porter

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

At Gambrinus last night with friends:

Grand RIver Jubilation
La Trappe Dubbel
FM Smashbomb
Taps Chuck Norris IPA
Black Oak Nutcracer Porter

I was pretty tanked!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

A generally reliable craft ale tasted chemical-like, either off or didn't hit me right, so I pulled out a Stella Artois, a fresh can (per date code, perhaps 6 weeks old) I bought on a whim the other day. Say what you will, this is a well-made lager beer. If you don't drink it too cold, it discloses a typical Belgian yeast character, which is a dry chalky-like taste, but placed in proportion to the barley sweetness. The hops are mineral-like with faint flowers, quite firm when again you taste it not too cold.

A nice-flavoured beer which is not complex but is well made.

Next up (later this week) is Steamwhistle or King Pilsener, both of which I have a new appreciation for after essaying numerous helles and pils types in Germany, Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic recently.

Gary
Gary Gillman