Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Top 5 in Your Cellar

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

dmits wrote: Thanks for the info... I did not actually expect it to go bad in 2009, just could not remember the year that I got it. I plan to use the bottle as an experiment in self control... shelf live of a bottle conditioned beer vs. the temptation to drink it
If it's a 750ml there might be a bottling year & batch # stamped on the crown of the cork.
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Beers

Russian River Damnation/Consecration 2010 (Thanks Stephen)
Hair of the Dog Fred from the Wood 2007
Young's Old Nick 1996
Rodenbach Grand Cru best before 1997
Thomas Hardy's 1994
Dark Horizon 1st Edition
Brewdog Paradox Islay Cask - Batch 001

Whiskies...

Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old
Famous Grouse 30 year old blend
Highland Park Earl Magnus Edition One 15 year old
Nikka Yoshi Single Malt
Lagavulin 1993 Distiller's Edition

Done a lot of trading recently, most of my older beers have gone to other cellars in exchange for west coast ales.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Jon Walker wrote: And one worth mentioning because I KNOW it won't be any good...
A bottle of 2002 Brakspear Bitter, one of the last bottlings before the brewery sold up it's 200 year old Henley on Thames brew house and the license passed on to Refresh. Henley is my home town and I was really sad to see the legendary brewery get shut down.
Heh here is my top 5 beers I know are baaaad, but I keep for some reason:

Wychwood's Dog Bollocks, from god knows when...
Floreffe Double 1989 (not a typo)
Huit Cylindres Doppelbock 1990
Big Bang Apollo Space crafted Ale 1999 Oak Aged
Delirium Tremmens 1998

I should sink them, but cant get myself to.

dmits

Post by dmits »

iguenard wrote:Beers
Dark Horizon 1st Edition

wow... I'm a big fan of rodenbach, and this one isnt much younger than I am... Nice

Also very jealous of the 1st edition. I've had both Nogne O's Imperial stout and the 2nd edition... Delicious

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

dmits wrote:
iguenard wrote:Beers
Dark Horizon 1st Edition

wow... I'm a big fan of rodenbach, and this one isnt much younger than I am... Nice

Also very jealous of the 1st edition. I've had both Nogne O's Imperial stout and the 2nd edition... Delicious
Let me know if your ever in the Ottawa area, we can open one up (I have more than 1 '97 rodenbach).

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Thomas Hardy's 1979
Westvleteren 12 2010
Thomas Hardy's 05-08
Rochefort 10 2008
Het Anker Cuvee Van Den Keizer Blauw 2010
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

07-09 Bigfoot
06,08,10 Cuvee Van de Keizer
03,05,06,08 Thomas Hardy's
mid-70s bottle of Gentle Ben Beer (from Uncle Ben's brewery in Winnipeg) - tried a bottle of their cider last April, had some cardboardy oxidation in the finish but otherwise good.
McEwan's Strong Ale (circa 1945-1959) - I found 2 bottles in a local antique shop, tried one in Dec 09 and it was surprisingly good.