Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cheeses

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Cheeses

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Not like my Cheesy Blasters thread.............who is down with awesome cheeses?

Tonight I am having a small cheese tasting with:

Beaufort- France
Beemster Extra Old-Holland
Munster- France
Comte Juraflore Raw Milk- France
Uniondale Mozerella-Canada (Ontario)

Pretty tasty!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

There's always a few cheeses on the go in by fridge at any given moment. right now I have a kick ass old cheddar from Wilton Cheese factory north of Kingston, a Pepperoni Cheddar from Lockport, a mystery white cream cheese from Sweden courtesy of my cousin Jonas and an excellent camebert from the Laurentians.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

sprague11 wrote:There's always a few cheeses on the go in by fridge at any given moment. right now I have a kick ass old cheddar from Wilton Cheese factory north of Kingston, a Pepperoni Cheddar from Lockport, a mystery white cream cheese from Sweden courtesy of my cousin Jonas and an excellent camebert from the Laurentians.

Sounds good John. I am interested in the Wilton cheddar and the pepperoni cheddar from Lockport. They sound awesome. I couldn't imagine being lactose intolerant.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Not like my Cheesy Blasters thread.............who is down with awesome cheeses?

Beaufort- France
Munster- France

Pretty tasty!
Beemster Xo is a superb hard cheese; goes great with a variety of beers, IPA's, Old Ales, Porters, Bitters.

Get yourself some Cave Aged Gruyere the next time you are out.

I really miss my visits to Olympic Cheese in St Lawrence market. Edmonton has sod all in the way of artisinal cheeses; heathens!!!!!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Not like my Cheesy Blasters thread.............who is down with awesome cheeses?

Beaufort- France
Munster- France

Pretty tasty!
Beemster Xo is a superb hard cheese; goes great with a variety of beers, IPA's, Old Ales, Porters, Bitters.

Get yourself some Cave Aged Gruyere the next time you are out.

I really miss my visits to Olympic Cheese in St Lawrence market. Edmonton has sod all in the way of artisinal cheeses; heathens!!!!!!

Thanks Sid. I saw that cave aged Gruyere in the market actually, so that wil be next on my hit list.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Munster- France
I was just putting together my shoppping list for today and had wrote this down... hoping my local cheese shop has some! I picked up a couple crazy ones last week, but I am terrible with cheese names; one was an aged raw cows milk, and the other was washed in red wine (it was super fruity, and awesome). Sometimes I will have specific cheeses in mind, but I usually just go for the most expensive and/or bizarre looking/sounding stuff.

My mom was recently in Dallas and brought me back some Brugge Rodenbach cheese. Damn that was good stuff, and she always brings me some Chimay too. At Costco for xmas 09 they had Sartori Reserve (washed in New Glarus Raspberry Tart). I was hoping it would be back this year, but no such luck.

Cheese pairs with beer so well, I can't get enough, and there is so much territory to explore.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Munster- France
Awesome cheese indeed, I need to get me some.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

phirleh wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Munster- France
Awesome cheese indeed, I need to get me some.

I quite liked it. Very soft and sticky with a very ripe and funky nose. Fairly pungent and enjoyable flavours. Just placed fairly large pieces on sliced foccacia bread and went to town.
markaberrant wrote: I picked up a couple crazy ones last week, but I am terrible with cheese names

Ohh it used to happen to me all the time. I'd go to the COvent ZGarden market and buy random cheeses, only go enjoy them (or not) and I'd forget what I had.

Now I write them all down in a word document along with tasting notes as I do beer.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Where do you guys get the raw milk cheeses? That stuff is illegal here.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mintjellie wrote:Where do you guys get the raw milk cheeses? That stuff is illegal here.
dont think so, there is a cheese store in Stratford that was at an event right beside me and the owner was talking quite a it about raw milk cheeses

http://www.themilkywhey.ca/index.html

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:Where do you guys get the raw milk cheeses? That stuff is illegal here.

Ohh they are legal. You can get raw milk goat cheddar, raw milk mozerella, raw milk anything really....all at SMith's Cheeses in the market here in London.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

I absolutely love cheese with beer and there is always four or five different cheeses on the go whenever I host a tasting.

Cantenaar is one of my all time favs.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Matt's post made me think of Monforte in Stratford.
This person started a new dairy by "selling CSA subscriptions"

http://www.monfortedairy.com

Some brave soul should try to start a brewery this way!! I am sure there are rules against it....beer is more evil than cheese, although some think raw cheese is also something we need to be protected from :wink:

At Monforte, $1000 bought you the right to $1500 worth of cheese over 5 years ($300/year). Lesser options are avaiable too. She has raised over 400K, built the dairy and is making cheese.

They also sell in markets in SWO (Covent Garden where Len buys his) and at St Lawrence and at the store in Stratford. Which (to bring beer into it ) is across the street from Stratford Brewing Co. on Griffith Rd. So, when you try to visit the Stratford brewery and can't because they don't do tours/tastings, you can at least go across the street and buy cheese!!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

oh yeah almost forgot
Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/B3KBuQHHKx0

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

BooBoo wrote:I absolutely love cheese with beer and there is always four or five different cheeses on the go whenever I host a tasting.

Cantenaar is one of my all time favs.

Pray tell about the Cantenaar.........