Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2011 Specialty Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
Derek wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Usually the 9:30 customers are the old drunks and breakfast club types.
I use to live by the Beer Store at Adelaide & Lorne... there was ALWAYS people lined up on weekend mornings, often with shopping carts full of returns. I remember someone once passing out... supposedly due to the heat wave. :roll:
Luckily LC stores don't open on Sunday till noon. This is a clear message to not drink before noon at least one day a week.

Correct.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Hello,

Just to confirm the Panil available at the LCBO is the North American Sour version.

Enjoy!
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Roland + Russell wrote:Hello,

Just to confirm the Panil available at the LCBO is the North American Sour version.

Enjoy!
Thanks R&R!

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Have I missed the Grand River Curmudgeon in Ottawa or has it not surfaced yet, or will it not come here at all? Don't see any east of Oshawa sadly.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Inkling wrote:Have I missed the Grand River Curmudgeon in Ottawa or has it not surfaced yet, or will it not come here at all? Don't see any east of Oshawa sadly.

Grand River delivers their beers personally, direct from brewery. I don't know if they deliver that far east. It would have to be a lot of beer to make it cost effective.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Inkling wrote:Have I missed the Grand River Curmudgeon in Ottawa or has it not surfaced yet, or will it not come here at all? Don't see any east of Oshawa sadly.

Grand River delivers their beers personally, direct from brewery. I don't know if they deliver that far east. It would have to be a lot of beer to make it cost effective.
Ive been off from Grand River for the last 2 weeks so the Curmudgeon that is in the system is just the tip of the iceburg. Im back on the 14th and there will be a big push after that. Ottawa will get some, but as Len said, we need a handfull of store to commit to a truckload of beer before we make the trip worth while.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Thanks for both of the replies. That's good to hear, hopefully the commitment will come soon.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Grand River delivers their beers personally, direct from brewery. I don't know if they deliver that far east. It would have to be a lot of beer to make it cost effective.
Is it a fairly common thing among craft brewers to deliver personally to the stores?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

ErkLR wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Grand River delivers their beers personally, direct from brewery. I don't know if they deliver that far east. It would have to be a lot of beer to make it cost effective.
Is it a fairly common thing among craft brewers to deliver personally to the stores?
Yes, Flying Monkeys is the only one that doesn't

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ErkLR wrote:

Yeah pretty common.

Hockley, Amsterdam, Neustadt, Mill Street, Railway City, Grand River and even Creemore deliver to my store personally. And many others do to!

JimC

Post by JimC »

Woot, got 8 bottles off the only cast of Paniel in Ottawa. Guy said everyone in the city was looking for it.

Its to bad this will never hit the shelves for random people to buy, but I think that we are sending the message.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

JimC wrote:Woot, got 8 bottles off the only cast of Paniel in Ottawa. Guy said everyone in the city was looking for it.

Its to bad this will never hit the shelves for random people to buy, but I think that we are sending the message.

It is in a bunch of Ottawa stores today. There should be plenty to go around.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Nice review of Panil in yesterday's Star:

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/reci ... th-a-taste

I am really interested to see what the non-beer geek reaction to this is. I wonder if the LCBO will get returns from curious punters who have never had a sour beer (other than Trafalgar).

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Gedge wrote:Nice review of Panil in yesterday's Star:

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/reci ... th-a-taste

I am really interested to see what the non-beer geek reaction to this is. I wonder if the LCBO will get returns from curious punters who have never had a sour beer (other than Trafalgar).
I'm really excited to try this one... if it's anything like Rodenbach then I'll be happy. What I would give for Rodenbach to be on the General List...

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Yonge and Eglinton has Gemini and Marstons IPA as of this morning