Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Paddock Wood 606 IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ixion

Post by Ixion »

When the beer is stored in a cooler it can have much greater shelf-life. So the July pack in Edmonton might be OK. The hop profile is certainly fading, but it may be fine too.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Was in to the Spadina store today. All their 606 is dated October 12. Not enough of an improvement on the Aug 4 vintage to make me bite.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

picked up a 6 of 606 yesterday, with a Jan. 18 date on it. Tasting pretty nice so far. Absolutely no sign of the problems I had with the Aug. 04 bottles. Good stuff. I was surprised to see that the Czech Mate 6 packs they had were still the Aug. 04 bottles. Hopefully at some point TBS will get their shit together as far as replacing old stock.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

North American Craft wrote:We have shipped out fresh stock and I also have advised TBS that should any product be past 5 months old we will need to pull and replenish.

How long does it take for the word to filter down to store level? I was in the Summerhill store (10 Price Street) about an hour ago and all of their 606 (about six 6-packs) had the August date.
North American Craft wrote:We will be focusing on Self Serve Beer stores in the near future as this is where Craft Beer tends to sell. If you have any suggestions please let me know
I was wondering why you were in River Street and 614 Queen West. Those are board stores and not in the best areas. If you want a suggestion, I'd submit 1089 Kingston Road. It's in the Beaches and is self-serve.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

If / when you expand more west into Southwestern Ontario, we just got a brand new self serve store in Tilbury (about 40 minutes east of Windsor). Mill Street just listed 3 more of their brands there along with all of the St Ambroise / Mc Auslan.

North American Craft

Post by North American Craft »

Two Pint,

I just sent out an email to Head office of TBS regarding this matter for 606 IPA. I will personally visit the store on Monday and have a chat with the Store Manager at making sure to replace this stock with fresher product.

As for the Tilbury location. We are looking into saturating all Self Serve stores that draw from specific depots so we can build scale and guarantee the freshest product from Paddock Wood.

Keep an eye out on any updates through:

North American Craft on Facebook.
Cheers!

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

North American Craft,

Just an FYI - we get alot of our brands from the London Ontario DC.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

North American Craft wrote:I will personally visit the store on Monday and have a chat with the Store Manager at making sure to replace this stock with fresher product.
Be gentle. I've been buying beer in Toronto for almost 35 years and have found that the Summerhill location has been the best of the bunch in terms of service and product.

North American Craft

Post by North American Craft »

Two Pint,

All has been sorted out and fresh product should be available. Thanks for the heads up!
Cheers!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

North American Craft wrote: Two Pint,

All has been sorted out and fresh product should be available. Thanks for the heads up!
Hi Claude. I just grabbed another sixer of the 606 (bottling date Dec. 2010) yesterday at the Hyland Centre Beer Store in London. Unfortunately three of the bottles smelled and tasted like wet paper, cardboard, blood, and iron. I'm not interested in any type of refund as it will likely send the wrong message to TBS management (i.e. don't bother with any of these new craft beers), but it would be nice to see some replenished stock at that store, preferably as fresh as possible. All of my samples prior to this were very tasty, so I'll have no problem buying many more cases if we can get some new stock. Cheers!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:
North American Craft wrote: Two Pint,

Hi Claude. I just grabbed another sixer of the 606 (bottling date Dec. 2010) yesterday at the Hyland Centre Beer Store in London. Unfortunately three of the bottles smelled and tasted like wet paper, cardboard, blood, and iron. I'm not interested in any type of refund as it will likely send the wrong message to TBS management (i.e. don't bother with any of these new craft beers), but it would be nice to see some replenished stock at that store, preferably as fresh as possible. All of my samples prior to this were very tasty, so I'll have no problem buying many more cases if we can get some new stock. Cheers!
This.

I shared said beers with cratez and his words ring true. Actually, the 606 still tasted great, just the aroma was way off.

Czech Mate was great overall.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Actually, the 606 still tasted great, just the aroma was way off. Czech Mate was great overall.
My subsequent bottles had iron on the nose and a pungent metallic twang in the finish, and I probably won't finish the six pack. The Czech Mate was still in good form but, compared to previous (fresher) bottles that I've had, the palate was much thinner and the body and carbonation seemed to have faded a little. Again, fresh stock would bring out the best of both beers!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Just a heads up that there seems to be fresh stock in again. I bought some 606 at the Kingston & Whites TBS today that was bottled April 29th. Not even a month old! I'll look forward to trying some tomorrow.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

For those in the Windsor-Chatham Kent area, Paddock Wood 606 just got listed at the TBS in Tilbury. Great news!!

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Just picked up a 6 of 606 from the TBS in Tilbury, ON. Dated Jul 6/11. Just trying my first one now and am very impressed with this one. I prefer the hops in this one alot more than the Crazy Canuck that everyone is raving about. Here's hoping Paddock Wood keeps brewing great stuff like this and filters more of it to us here in Ontario!