Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Steam Whistle brewer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

scott

Post by scott »

Can we get back to the relative merits of Steam Whistle's product?

I'm often puzzled by the low regard that many Bar Towellers hold for Steam Whistle. Sure, it's not Pilsner Urquell or even King Pilsner, but it's miles better than Molson anything and can be a welcome port in a storm in many many southern Ontario establishments where choice is limited.

One of the most important things, IMO, is that it is Reinheitsgebot - four ingredients only. This in itself is a great reason to drink it if the other choices are Molbatt. Also, it has a subtle (yes, I'd like to see it pumped up a bit) but very appealing floral character. I don't always feel like being hit over the head with the hops, and a case of Steam Whistle was a perfect cottage companion this past week, at least to my palate. It's a good mid-afternoon on the dock beer.

Sure they've put lots of money into advertising and give the impression they want to turn a profit, but I'm in favour of that. That advertising will, I hope, bring some Molbatt drinkers into the Steam Whistle fold (and perhaps from there to more adventurous micro offerings). I'm always pleased when I see a Steam Whistle sign because at least there's something half decent on offer. I feel much the same way about Creemore and wonder what others think.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Josh Oakes wrote:OK, Joey Capps is right - I've been in places where computers are scarce and incredible beers on not.
Oh Christ, I have spent significant time in Eastern Europe and SE Asia and web cafes are piss-easy to find. Just how remote are you?
Mr. Letki has every right to disagree with my assessment, by the way. I have no problem with that. I looked at my post - rather a statement of opinion, not fact.
For an average poster "unimpressive" is a matter of opinion. For someone who is apparently arguably the premiere amateur beer authority in the world, that is not the case. Get used to it. You pushed for this level of authority. Deal with it.
The only fact was that I've never been impressed with Steamwhistle. This is true.
Nor have I, but you posted your comments and your villification of Matt Letki at a time when he had first joined the brewery - and so had nothing to do with your views on their beers and yet you still tore into his career with no justification whatsoever (nor have you yet provided any).
They have every right to do what they do and to make piles of money doing it. I don't expect brewmasters who make mediocre beer to be excited, impressed or even the slightest bit happy to hear someone say that their work does not impress. Who would want to hear that? But it is my opinion.
Which was fine - it was the aspect where you tore into Mr Letki's resume that was unwarranted, highly insulting and just plain full of shit.
I don't have anything personal against Steamwhistle - I would have launched an extensive tirade if that were the case.
Who cares?
I did, as Joey pointed out, give examples of brewers who impress me.
Actually I pointed that out. What does it have to do with the Ontario micro scene one iota?
I know Bushy's, Gordon Biersch - pretty much all the brewers Mr. Letki worked for.
Given your posts as to why you could not make it out to GB Whitby, this seems unlikely. Have you tried *any* of *his* beers?

Not his brewing for hire which he does for Steam Whistle, but his own Seasonals???
It's shouldn't be hard to see that what I love in a beer is one thing - not everybody feels the same way I do.
Absolutely. Again - so what?
If they did, Scotch Irish and Denison's would be the size of Steamwhistle.
I think that many of us would be happy to see both those breweries expand. What precisely does that have to do with your vilification of Mr Letki's skills?

Fuck all as far as I can see.
Mr. Letki and his company have no shortage of fans out there. I'm just not one of them. And I don't have a problem with them not being happy with that.
I do not much like Steam Whistle products either. What exactly does that have to do with Mr Letki's previous career or *his* ability as a brewer?

Fuck all as far as I can see.
In other news, there are some mindblowing brewers in northern Lithuania doing things with beer that nobody's even heard of before, let alone tasted (well, among English-speaking beer press). Same day, same place as always.
Such as what?

And don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for your opinions on beer and I have enjoyed all of our previous conversations, but your remarks with regard to Matt Letki are totally out of order. And you have completely failed to justify any of them.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Honestly, a post like that is just sounding like a personal vendetta.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Uhh... I guess this is a bad time to ask if we're having a BarTowel get together at the Beer Festival?

:-?

Can't we all just get along?

Throwing in my 2 cents regarding Matthew & Steam Whistle:

Matthew: When he was at Hogtown, I emailed with him back and forth, seemed like a really nice guy, invited me by for a brewery tour, etc, never got around to it, but I thought it was cool that he was so accessible.

Steam Whistle: A buddy of mine drinks it quite a bit, had brought some over, a few bottles left in my fridge for a while, pulled one out a few weeks back and really enjoyed it actually, it's absolutely a summer beer, and probably one of the lightest beers that I would still enjoy, but it was quite nice nonetheless, so I picked up a 6 pack for a camping trip last weekend...

I think we can stop dissecting one another's posts and ripping one another apart - I think it's clear that Josh was just posting opinion and while it might not have been fair, let's not blow this up anymore, he's entitled to his opinion, god help us if anyone from Molsons or Labatts gets on here, we'll all get sued :^) And they have the money for expensive lawyers too!!

Anyone else planning on a :evil: heated reply to this thread, why not stop, go enjoy a microbrewed Ontario beer (or 2!), then come back 24 hours later and see how you feel about it... :^)

Cheers...

howardt

Post by howardt »

Whooweee! You would think the calf roping moved east. You guys are great. Let me enter the fray by agreeing with the chap who suggested that knowing beers and being able to identify with them locally is more important than drive by tastings.

Secondly, I'll tee it up by saying that ...Creemore is proud to introduce Marek Mikunda as a new brewer and Quality Control professional. Marek was born and raised in the Czech Republic and received his formal brewing traning at Pilsner Urquell and its associated companies. He came to Canada to advance his career and we scooped him from a rightsizing at Labatts.

Imagine what he has to say about the PU available here (or many of the other often lauded imports available at the LCBO) after their slow boat ride across the pond (warm and in green glass) to land sometime later on our shelves.

Beer is best fresh.

Do your worst boys... :lol:

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Let me enter the fray by agreeing with the chap who suggested that knowing beers and being able to identify with them locally is more important than drive by tastings.
Thanks for the update Howard and please extend a Bartowel welcome to Marek. I wish him all the best in maintaining the high standard of quality we have all come to expect from Creemore.

I noticed from your comment above and from a couple of others some slight digs at the whole ratebeer world (and others) of rating beers (if I've mis-read, I apologize). Let me just say that while some on those kind of sites do just rate for the sense of rating things I suppose and accumulating stats, you will find most, especially the local ones I've chatted with, to be true beer lovers who find rating as a great excuse to try new beers. I know for me personally, a ratebeer type of site can act almost like a beer diary, reminding of you of what you have tried and where. It has expanded my pallet tremendously. I also use it as a forum to trumpet the fantastic beer of Ontario. So really, your preference of someone who knows and identifies local beers can certainly turn out to be a preference for the same person who likes to jot down his thoughts in the form of ratings.

And thanks for your 2 cents - one of the reasons I started lurking on this site a couple of years ago was to read the thoughts of those involved directly in the industry.

Jeff

howardt

Post by howardt »

Actually I enjoy the beer rating pages, I just think that it is very subjective and occasionally people are rating beers that are not fresh and as such don't actually taste right. This is why I promote local consumption and identification. Admittedly self serving.

I also like to mix it up a bit and the thread seemed fiesty.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Gotta admit, I also like the ratebeer pages but I rarely visit or pay attention to any of it (I enjoy the stretching of the use of the English language).

Bottom line is, I simply don't care what anybody says about any product. Beer is totally subjective and a negative rating by Beaumont or Jackson on a product is 100% meaningless to my experience when I walk through the door, sit down and enjoy a pint with the brewer.

I may have stated before that I like to try the Pale Ale first in any micro or brewpub I go into. It gives me a reference point that serves me very well with regard to the rest of the beers.

But, that being said, the one thing I do really object to in Ontario is the affection for nitro-trash that I see in pretend-a-pubs. That is one flavour profile that I cannot believe anybody can get their tastebuds around. Let's see...what is that flavour??? Rusting metal?, no...alum...yea, that's it. Yuck!!! So, I agree with Howard...drink fresh!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Rob Creighton wrote: But, that being said, the one thing I do really object to in Ontario is the affection for nitro-trash that I see in pretend-a-pubs. That is one flavour profile that I cannot believe anybody can get their tastebuds around.
Ah, but you're making the assumption that most beer drinkers actually care about the flavour of what they're drinking. I think the sales of virtually flavourless macros prove that not to be the case.

We all have to remember that those of us to drink beer to enjoy the appearance and aroma and flavour are a small (but hopefull growing) minority. The rest tend to view it as an alcohol delivery system and/or a lifestyle accessory.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

howardt, I have to challenge your "Beer is best fresh" statement as you know that's true of many beers but not all....if you've ever had the pleasure of indulging in a 20 year old bottle of Chimay Blue you would not make such a blanket statement...many beers are fantastic when they're not "fresh".