Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Holy crap - your selection today is amazing!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

2 x Southern Tier Gemini
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Samuel Adams Noble Pils. A very fine German-style pils, with a prominent, complex hop bill, apparently all German or Czech, 5 kinds blended. Some good metallic/citric/light funky/Riesling-like notes from the various hop components. Good smooth malt character too but on the dry side, more North or East German than Bavarian. One of the best pils beers I've ever had.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Last night grub, viggo, ritzkis and sstackho came over to my place and we did a blind imperial stout tasting, accompanies with some trult awesome food. I did the pouring, and my blindness only came later in the evening when I was blind drunk. Beers were scored out of 10 by each of the guys, and these were the results:

Driftwood Singularity 34.2
BA Boris 32.6
Smuttynose Imperial Stout 32.4
St Ambroise RIS 32
Nightstalker 32.
Darkness 31.9
Storm King 31.5
BA Blackout 31.4
Ballast Point Imperial Stout 31.4
Yeti 31.1
Ipswich Choate Bridge (a magnum!) 29.3
Black Damnation 28.7
St Bock Enigma 28.3
Middle Ages Dragonslayer 28.2
Abyss 28
Nogne O 24
Darklord 23.9

Followed by BA Plead the 5th and Rogue XS after the competition ended. The Abyss was from the 09 batch and had some of the wild character that ended up in that beer.

Singluarity was amazing.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Gouden Carolous Cuvee Van De Keizer Rood 2009. It's too bad that this gets overshadowed by the Blauw, because it is a simply stunnng beer. Liquid candy.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:Last night grub, viggo, ritzkis and sstackho came over to my place and we did a blind imperial stout tasting, accompanies with some trult awesome food. I did the pouring, and my blindness only came later in the evening when I was blind drunk. Beers were scored out of 10 by each of the guys, and these were the results:

BA Boris 32.6
St Ambroise RIS 32
Nightstalker 32.
Darkness 31.9
Storm King 31.5
BA Blackout 31.4
Yeti 31.1
Black Damnation 28.7
St Bock Enigma 28.3
Abyss 28
Nogne O 24
Darklord 23.9

Followed by BA Plead the 5th and Rogue XS after the competition ended. The Abyss was from the 09 batch and had some of the wild character that ended up in that beer.

Singluarity was amazing.
Was that Viggo's Ipswich Choate Bridge? Surprised to see the Darklord "last"!

Man, I miss those epic Toronto Tastings :cry:

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Had a Trafalgar Maple Bock this afternoon. First maple beer I've ever tried; generally did not expect to like this type too much, although I certainly enjoy other "flavoured" beers such as fruit beers, tea beers etc. This one pretty much met my expectation. Not my favourite type, but for what it is intended to be, I thought it was pretty good. Better than one would expect based on ohther postings I've read about Trafalgar.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

That stout tasting sounds amazing!

Upright Oyster Stout
Tree Captivator Doppelbock
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Last night at Gambrinus:

Driftwood Old Cellar Dweller Barley Wine (Thanks Dan!)
Flying Monkeys Riley Wine 18 % Barley Wine
Founder's Red Rye (Thanks Adil!)
Black Oak Summer Saison
Rolling Rock
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Bobsy wrote:Last night grub, viggo, ritzkis and sstackho came over to my place and we did a blind imperial stout tasting, accompanies with some trult awesome food. I did the pouring, and my blindness only came later in the evening when I was blind drunk. Beers were scored out of 10 by each of the guys, and these were the results:

BA Boris 32.6
St Ambroise RIS 32
Nightstalker 32.
Darkness 31.9
Storm King 31.5
BA Blackout 31.4
Yeti 31.1
Black Damnation 28.7
St Bock Enigma 28.3
Abyss 28
Nogne O 24
Darklord 23.9

Singluarity was amazing.
Singularity was superb, lots of yummy barrel on it. I rated BA Blackout as my 2nd - I guess I love the barrels. I am also surprised to see Dark Lord on the bottom - in my opinion, the Nogne O was my obvious last place finisher, especially in comparison to many of those beers. Too bad the 2009 Abyss was infected (reminded me of Jolly Pumpkin) because that is one of my favorites and I would have loved to see how it did. Thanks for hosting Bobsy!

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Had 1 of my last 2 Tree Double IPA Hope Head...and some Sam Adams Noble Pils to start the night...Yummy to Tree...cant believe there is none to be had anywhere in LCBO ville...oh well...

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Last night at Gambrinus:

Driftwood Old Cellar Dweller Barley Wine (Thanks Dan!)
Flying Monkeys Riley Wine 18 % Barley Wine
Founder's Red Rye (Thanks Adil!)
Black Oak Summer Saison
Rolling Rock
Damn! Did you drink them in that order?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Torontoblue wrote:Was that Viggo's Ipswich Choate Bridge? Surprised to see the Darklord "last"!
the choate was mine, though eric did open one at his place a while back. i've got another magnum from them (whipple house old ale) that i need to crack one of these days. tribute went into the first one, and i've got a couple now that i can throw some crazy homebrew into.

yeah, i think we were all surprised to see it place last. i'm not sure we can trust our math skills at that point though... perhaps they're all wrong! :)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Nugget Nectar, followed much much later by hopfenstark Greg

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

grub wrote: yeah, i think we were all surprised to see it place last. i'm not sure we can trust our math skills at that point though... perhaps they're all wrong! :)
The Dark Lord was very strong and sweet. I'm not surprised to see it listed at 15% ABV. Obviously, we prefer Imperial Stout Lites (at 10-12%)!