Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

icemachine wrote:
What a terrible headline.
That is an understatement. At least put "bad taste"in quotations.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

There's going to be a story about the Smash Bomb situation on Global News tonight.

probstk

Post by probstk »

icemachine wrote:
What a terrible headline.
Who cares about the headline...the fact that the product was rejected is very disappointing and complete BULLSHIT!

I don't often climb on the "LCBO is the worst thing ever" bandwagon, but seriously: do we really need protection from tongue-in-cheek marketing?? For Christ's sake, this is beer, not candy, videogames, or something else marketed to CHILDREN.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

A friend sent me a note that there was a call in with Peter on one of them AM yak shows this morning. I missed it, but hopefully the Rob Ford crowd, I mean bud lime crowd, that usually gravitates to those channels got some exposure to his beer!

Won't the Tea Party do something for our beer? 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

heebes

Post by heebes »

GregClow wrote:There's going to be a story about the Smash Bomb situation on Global News tonight.
wasn't on at 6. watched Global for nothing

loudman

Post by loudman »

Is nobody's blood also boiling over this insanity?

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... ed-by-lcbo

What about Captain *@&% Morgan, a god damned murderous pirate with a sword, El Jimador Tequila has a freaking animal torturing Bull "fighter" on the label, also with a sword. I bet if one walked around the liquor store, they find all manner of cannons, swords, muskets, etc. I just hate the system so damn much, a government sanctioned foreign owned beer monopoly that quells any competition from smaller breweries and a government run wine and spirits store that has had the same mandate since prohibition ended, all financed by taxation! Our tax dollars did this!!!

Really gone toooo far this time... picking on one of our own small craft brewers!!! Who's going to be next if nobody makes some noise??

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

loudman wrote:Is nobody's blood also boiling over this insanity?

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... ed-by-lcbo
I guess you haven't bothered reading the last couple pages of this thread then.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

loudman

Post by loudman »

icemachine wrote:
I guess you haven't bothered reading the last couple pages of this thread then.
I quickly did flip back a couple of pages (2 or 3)... there was some pummeling of Mr Belgian .

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

heebes wrote:
GregClow wrote:There's going to be a story about the Smash Bomb situation on Global News tonight.
I guess it didn't run after all. I was contacted to do an interview for it (although I wasn't able to do so), and was told it would be airing last night.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

From Flying Monkeys FB page:

The Flying Monkeys are in discussions with the LCBO regarding the listing of Smashbomb Atomic IPA and are focusing our energy on solutions that could help get this fantastic beer on the store shelves rather than continuing the discussion in the media at this stage. The LCBO is the province's largest supporter of the Ontario Craft Brewers, including the Flying Monkeys. We are touched and amazed at the public support for our small brewery!!! Thank you. The loyalty of all you Craft Beer Disciples out there is helping us independent brewers bring great beers to the Ontario market, and the LCBO is truly with us every step of the way.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

GregClow wrote:
heebes wrote:
I guess it didn't run after all. I was contacted to do an interview for it (although I wasn't able to do so), and was told it would be airing last night.
Grag, they probably needed your interview to make the story.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That just might become my new signature quote!! :)

Yes, the problem is that the business world is largely run by Bud Light Lime drinking double popped pink collar wearing douchebag fat head frat boys.
In Beerum Veritas

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Belgian wrote:
That just might become my new signature quote!! :)

Yes, the problem is that the business world is largely run by Bud Light Lime drinking double popped pink collar wearing douchebag fat head frat boys.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote: Yes, the problem is that the business world is largely run by Bud Light Lime drinking double popped pink collar wearing douchebag fat head frat boys.
Really? I didn't think Don Cherry ran anything, except maybe the City of Toronto.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Got an email from the LCBO customer service today, seems very in line with what Peter has been saying about working through this issue with the LC and them wanting this product out too, good to know.

"Thank you for your feedback regarding Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA. We’ve shared your message with the appropriate LCBO departments for consideration. The following may provide a little more information regarding this product.

We are in discussions with Flying Monkeys Brewery to try and work out a solution to enable us to sell this product in our stores. Both the LCBO and Flying Monkeys would like to make this happen.

Every product presented to LCBO is assessed on an individual basis and we recognize that opinions will vary as to whether certain names and images on products are appropriate or not. We also recognize that producers sometimes use edgy, provocative, humourous and tongue-in-cheek marketing and packaging to help them stand out. At the same, we have to be sensitive to the fact that some people find depictions of violence, explosions or bomb blasts, even when used in a humorous way, to be disturbing – especially in these times. For example, a vodka was once presented to us in an A-K 47-shaped bottle which we declined due to the association with violence. With Smashbomb Atomic IPA, there were also concerns about the choice of smash and bomb in the product’s name given that “smashed” and “bombed” are terms commonly used to describe intoxication.

Although not the case here, we would also be concerned from a social responsibility perspective if a product’s packaging was sexually exploitive, demeaning, appealing to minors or touting health benefits. In these instances, we look to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) advertising and promotion guidelines which provide a broad framework for what is appropriate and permissible when promoting beverage alcohol.

We have been discussing possible packaging modifications with Flying Monkeys Brewery to address our concerns and their marketing objectives. We enjoy a good working relationship with the brewery and are hopeful that we will work out a solution. We do recognize the challenges that face smaller producers like Flying Monkeys and we have been working closely with Ontario’s craft brewers to raise awareness of their products. Similarly, we have introduced programs to support smaller Ontario wineries. For several years now, year-over-year sales of Ontario craft beer have grown by 45-50 per cent at the LCBO, far outpacing other beer segments. Likewise, Ontario VQA wines have been growing 15-20 per cent each year so our initiatives in partnership with our suppliers are producing positive results.

While we continue our discussions with Flying Monkeys, if you are interested in purchasing Smashbomb Atomic IPA, or any other product not offered for sale in LCBO stores, you can request it through our Private Ordering Department at 416-864-2552 or 1-800-668-5144.

Again, thank you for your perspective with regard to Smashbomb Atomic IPA. We do value and take seriously customer feedback. "