Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Ultimate Warrior India Brown Ale - Homebrewed by Me.

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

The Ultimate Warrior India Brown Ale - Homebrewed by Me.

Post by Guybrush »

I'm pretty proud of this brew, and just wanted people to know that it existed. And I'm pretty geeked about the "Ultimate Warrior" reference because late 80's early 90's WWF was the bomb!

My buddy and I had 2 oz. of Vacuum packed whole leaf Warrior hops, 16.7 % A.A. and decided we needed to put it all into one batch of homebrew. And if we in fact did put all those hops into the brew, it would then become some sort of 'ultimate' brew..... thus, Ultimate Warrior was created.

"Indian Brown Ale" base recipe
Extract w/ specialty grains:
Maris otter
Crystal 70-80L
Chocolate malt
Malto-Dex
Liq. Pale Malt Extract

Hops Schedule:
14g Warrior 60m (16.7 % A.A.)

14g Warrior 30m
66g Hallertauer 30m [Fresh from the bine, hop buds intact - A.A. unknown!]

14g Warrior 10m
66g Hallertauer 10m [Fresh from the bine, hop buds intact - A.A. unknown!]
1 Irish moss 10m

14g Warrior 0m - Flame out
14g Cascade pellets 0m - Flame out (4.5 % A.A)

14g Cascade pellets - thrown into the bucket with the wort

So that's what went down. The fermenter is popping away like crazy, should be interesting.

Jealous?

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Probably gonna tie coloured ribbon/streamers around the neck of the bottle (a la Ultimate Warrior's ribbon around the biceps) and do up a killer label for the beer too.

April 1, 1990 Toronto, Canada. At the SkyDome The Ultimate Warrior pinned Hulk Hogan for a three count to win the WWF World Championship belt during WrestleMania VI. Twenty-one years, and fifteen days later "Ultimate Warrior Ale" is brewed at my house in my kitchen... coincidence?

Hopaholic

Post by Hopaholic »

throw some slim jims in the secondary :lol:

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Sounds good!

Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I used to love watching the WWF back in those days, my Dad waking me up at midnight Fridays to watch it. Ultimate Warrior was always my favourite wrestler too.

Might have to try this recipe as an AG version this summer
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Ya, I wish I had the time/energy to get into AG brewing. But for now my schedule works very well with the 4 hours it takes to make an extract w/ grains.

I dunno why, but India Brown Ale is something I'm enjoying quite a lot. The dark colour, the malt flavour, and the hops... it's what I'm looking for in a beer I guess.

And yes, The Ultimate Warrior was pretty awesome. You should see the write up Wikipedia gives him. I always thought he died and got replaced by a replica, but Wikipedia swears it was the same guy the whole time!

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

If you just want to remember Ultimate Warrior the way you remember him in your head, then don't click on this link.

Many crazy Warrior 'clips' of him talking crazy-crazy, and WWF super-stars commenting on how crazy he is/was.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Guybrush wrote:Ya, I wish I had the time/energy to get into AG brewing. But for now my schedule works very well with the 4 hours it takes to make an extract w/ grains.
My all-grain batches take about 4 hours and 15 minutes from the time I print off my recipe until everything is put away and cleaned up.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Wow 4 hours? You have your wife do your dishes in that time? =)

Me I have to wake up at 5AM to start the water heating for the mash. System gets cleaned and polished and I usually finish by 3PM.

Longest is heating up the water and grinding 14 kg of grain with a hand mill. Cleaning also takes a while. Especially with Stainless steel, you have to wait till it cools off a bit before sticking your hand in there.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

If I grind the night before, I can do a single infusion in 5 hrs (assuming it's not too big). But if I use much wheat or rye, or start decocting... all bets are off.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I heard some people like to grind during the boil, since youve got time there. Depends on the wife I guess :)

Thats cheating though, grinding the night before. If I did that, and pre-heated my water the night before, it should still be at 55 the next morning, so I could finish in 4 hours easy for lower gravity beers.

Maybe we should get into speed brewing. Do a 90 minute IPA, in 90 minutes, LOL. Actually... may not be so hard. I do have a 4 gallon jug of maple syrup in the fridge...

Problem is with my system, I have a vertical heating element, and its so tall, I can only do minimum 43 litre batches without the boil exposing my element. :(

I should have thought of that when I bought my element. Lessons learned.

OP: your Ultimate Warrior sounds good. I've never done an all-warrior beer. Wonder how thats going to turn out aromatically. You have anything in mind commercially available that uses Warrior as an aromatic hop?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I measure out my mash water first. While it is heating, I measure and crush my grain, and measure my mash salts. By then, the water is up to strike temp, so in it goes. I'm usually mashed in within 30 minutes.

Then I heat my sparge water, measure out my hops, and clean out a bucket/carboy during a standard 60 minute mash.

Runoff, sparge and bringing wort to a boil takes another 30 minutes.

Do a standard 90 minute boil.

Chilling, transfering to bucket, carrying into the house and into the basement, taking a gravity reading, oxygenating and pitching yeast takes 30 minutes.

Then another 30 minutes to clean everything up nice and put it all away.

That's 4 hours, plus a few minutes here and there.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Dear Mark,
You, sir, are one organized muthaf'r.

When I make a batch of beer, I sprinkle in just enough disorder and miss-steps to keep things interesting!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

markaberrant wrote:I measure out my mash water first. While it is heating, I measure and crush my grain, and measure my mash salts. By then, the water is up to strike temp, so in it goes. I'm usually mashed in within 30 minutes.

Then I heat my sparge water, measure out my hops, and clean out a bucket/carboy during a standard 60 minute mash.

Runoff, sparge and bringing wort to a boil takes another 30 minutes.

Do a standard 90 minute boil.

Chilling, transfering to bucket, carrying into the house and into the basement, taking a gravity reading, oxygenating and pitching yeast takes 30 minutes.

Then another 30 minutes to clean everything up nice and put it all away.

That's 4 hours, plus a few minutes here and there.
Isn't that 4.5+ hours? Nevertheless, very efficient! Boy, if I'm done in anything close to 5 hours I'm tickled pink.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote: Runoff, sparge and bringing wort to a boil takes another 30 minutes.
That's where you're WAY ahead of me... that's well over an hour for me! I ought to try a batch sparge, and just open that tap.

I do multi-task with two pots on the stove-top, which saves A LOT of time for a stove-top brewer.