Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Blackberry Wheat

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

Grand River Blackberry Wheat

Post by Guybrush »

Heard this is their next offering. Any thoughts?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Would try. Their bumbleberry or whatever wheat was a decent beer, but kind of light and sweet for me. Maybe the blackberry will be less perfumey and more black-fruity & perhaps more tart. I like that GR never stop trying things.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Sounds good. Their rasberry Pils on cask at their beer club tasting I had last summer was probably the best fruit beer I've ever had, and I usually end up extremely unimpressed with fruit beers.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

That Raspberry Pils was a let down for me. Not the amount of berry flavour I'd prefer. I heard they served it for an event with real raspberries mixed in it, as a one-off. I bet that would have been fantastic!

What I REALLY wish is for some OCB to make a raspberry beer that rivals Morte Subite Frambroise, then I wouldn't have to pay $5 for a small bottle of delicious all the way from Belgium!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote:Sounds good. Their rasberry Pils on cask at their beer club tasting I had last summer was probably the best fruit beer I've ever had, and I usually end up extremely unimpressed with fruit beers.
Me too, it's amazing they can make such a round-but-crisp, summery Bavarian style Pilsner that also marries so well with tart-sweet raspberry, but then Grand River are freaks of beer alchemy genius (at least much of the time.)

The wheat base with the blackberry may be a tad stickier and offer less structure, but we wil see!
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

currnetly availible in bottles at the brewery and on tap here and there

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

For those interested, this will be on tap at The King Edward Restaurant & Pub during OCB week.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

It's currently on tap at the Judge here in Hamilton (at least it was the other day and fruit beers take forever to sell out there). It was quite a bit different from the cask format I had during the Judge's Beer Fest. Will have to try it on bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's on at Burger Bar in Kensington Mkt and it is very tasty. Definitely one the ladies will appreciate, while also a solid summer beer.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

My favorite GRB brew......next to their Kolsh and winter warmer bock. ;-)
Aventinus rules!