Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys Unveil World's Hoppiest Beer...?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Nano beer, hoppy hoppy nano beer.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

would be an interesting experiment to brew a recipe several times, at say 100, 500, 1000, 2000 IBU hopping, then do a taste comparison.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

i would guess they used a lot of hop extract to get the ibu amount up there so isomerization wouldn't be as much of an issue.

i think it's a fun one off experiment and i'm sure the brewers learned a thing or two while doing it that will benefit the overall product.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

bufordsbest wrote:i would guess they used a lot of hop extract to get the ibu amount up there so isomerization wouldn't be as much of an issue.

i think it's a fun one off experiment and i'm sure the brewers learned a thing or two while doing it that will benefit the overall product.
Exactly, we learned lots. We brewed a 3327 IBU IPA (as well) but it didn't make the grade. We tried a few different methods for isomerizing the hops and dealing with the large amout of trub in the kettle (and FV). Things like mash hopping --and hop sparging / vorlaufing. We had four brewers all involved in the experiment adding their input. It was amusing to say the least. The beer came out surprisingly well once it aged for a few months.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

15L liters??? In London??? I can't say I'm very excited by this...

Unless someone wants to get a bottle and share it with me, in which case I am very excited :wink:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:15L liters??? In London??? I can't say I'm very excited by this...

Unless someone wants to get a bottle and share it with me, in which case I am very excited :wink:
That's tonight Jer. Come on by! :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Ironically I will be driving past London... next week. :(

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Why rain on their parade? It's a fun experiment, and they wanted to do it. So let them have a little fun. At least an Ontario brewer is actually experimenting with stuff like this. I look forward to sampling the beer tomorrow.
This.
JerCraigs wrote: 15L liters??? In London??? I can't say I'm very excited by this...
God forbid Toronto missing out on a single (albeit very special) beer. :roll:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:Ironically I will be driving past London... next week. :(
Any chance you'll have time for a beer , Jer?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Saison

Post by Saison »

xocoatl wrote:would be an interesting experiment to brew a recipe several times, at say 100, 500, 1000, 2000 IBU hopping, then do a taste comparison.
That's the ticket. Once you start trying these beers like this, the differences will start to appear...

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm happy to see Flying Monkeys finally taking Mr. Hasler's words to heart
eric hasler wrote:This was my email to the 'brewers' when I purchased my first and last case of this mis-nomer...to their credit the did enjoy and get the sense of humour attached to said email...sorry cannot attach the 'Volleyball Song' as it really is not politically correct and is really reall offensive...but funny.

The email was titled..'What a disappointment'

I picked up a 12 of your so-called hoptical illusion,what a mis-nomer...i suggest you go back to bottling water. This was a flavourless swill that is best left to 'people' who enjoy Coors Light' and welfare cheques.

I am a brewer myself and I created an abomination that I christened HopFucker' that would eat your beer(?) for lunch...or as your package states...'doesn't beat you over the head,steal your wallet and jack your car....mine will and does.

May I suggest a marketing ploy for you...take it to the male volleyball league so that after they have finished princing and prancing and oggling one anothers 'junk' they could have one of your un-hoppy disasters..

I have enclosed a copy of the 'volleyball song' so you could use it as a jingle for the advertisement.

ps:what a waste of $24 and mis-leading advertisement.

Regards

Eric

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

sprague11 wrote:I'm happy to see Flying Monkeys finally taking Mr. Hasler's words to heart
eric hasler wrote:This was my email to the 'brewers' when I purchased my first and last case of this mis-nomer...to their credit the did enjoy and get the sense of humour attached to said email...sorry cannot attach the 'Volleyball Song' as it really is not politically correct and is really reall offensive...but funny.

The email was titled..'What a disappointment'

I picked up a 12 of your so-called hoptical illusion,what a mis-nomer...i suggest you go back to bottling water. This was a flavourless swill that is best left to 'people' who enjoy Coors Light' and welfare cheques.

I am a brewer myself and I created an abomination that I christened HopFucker' that would eat your beer(?) for lunch...or as your package states...'doesn't beat you over the head,steal your wallet and jack your car....mine will and does.

May I suggest a marketing ploy for you...take it to the male volleyball league so that after they have finished princing and prancing and oggling one anothers 'junk' they could have one of your un-hoppy disasters..

I have enclosed a copy of the 'volleyball song' so you could use it as a jingle for the advertisement.

ps:what a waste of $24 and mis-leading advertisement.

Regards

Eric
This reminds me of that creepy, socially inept loser that had all those youtube videos about how much Ontario craft beer sucks and what not ("comes with off flavours, right out of the can!") Who the f*** was that guy? I completely forget and can't find the stuff on youtube.

Saison

Post by Saison »

take some advice

I wish he was still doing shows, at least he was funny...

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JesseM wrote:This reminds me of that creepy, socially inept loser that had all those youtube videos about how much Ontario craft beer sucks and what not ("comes with off flavours, right out of the can!") Who the f*** was that guy? I completely forget and can't find the stuff on youtube.
TSA - takesomeadvice

Was that the dude? He of the frosty drinking glasses and the hate-on for Hoptical Illusion?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yup that's him. Thanks for the info/link. I thought he was funny too, just not in the ha-ha kind of way.