Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jcc

Bellwoods Brewery

Post by jcc »

Interesting. It looks like there is yet another Toronto Brewery in the works.

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/

Not much information on them yet that I can find, but will be down in the Ossington Strip.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

And they want a hundred "official tasters"
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Goods and welcome news. The more the merrier!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Nothing about the actual beer on the website yet.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

They have a good brewer joining their team

aser

Post by aser »

the brewer is as much of a beer nerd as any of us here, it looks very promising.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Anyone go to yesterday's tasting? It was seriously impressive.

They poured samples from four beers in their lineup, all of them solid. I might have a new favourite Ontario-brewed DIPA in Witch Shark. Their saison, Farmhouse Ale, was also fantastic. The Toil & Trouble dubbel, though a little sweet for my tastes, was tasty and very true to form. Finally, I would gladly drink their Bellwoods Common over 99 percent of pale ales you can find in most local bars.

It's a small space, but once the patio and store opens up, it will be a welcome addition to the Ossington strip and to Toronto's beer culture in general. Imagine: on stat holidays, it'll be the downtown-iest place where you can pick up some bottles, which alone makes it an essential destination.

Only tried a couple snacks from the kitchen, but I can already tell the food will be top-notch. The guys running the show are all really nice, intelligent, down-to-earth guys with excellent taste in beer and a willingness to experiment. Hell, even their glassware is superb.

Here's Gord's recap of the event, which has some more details: http://www.theworldofgord.com/2012/04/a ... woods.html

They said a Baltic porter is coming next. I'm pretty psyched!

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I got to try the Farmhouse Ale at Grand Electric last week, and was very impressed. Different, interesting take on the style. Very much looking forward to the rest of their beers/visiting the brewery. I believe they're opening this week, but who knows.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

We also attend the tasting. The saison and the DIPA were both exceptionally good. The DIPA is dangerously drinkable, with very little alcohol in the palate, just lots of nice sweet citrusy hops.

The pale I quite enjoyed, but it would not be my go-to, and the dubbel was pretty nice, but it went from wow at the beginning, to just pretty good at the end for me. Damn good start overall, with three solid takes on styles that are very under-represented in Ontario.

I think the biggest complaint about this place may be that its got pretty small capacity until they get a patio going.

Sil

Post by Sil »

I was at the tasting yesterday as well. I'd drink the hell out of the DIPA, and probably will. I really enjoyed the Pale Ale and could see that as a session beer on a patio. The saison was quite nice in the category as well.

The dubbel wasn't my thing, but it wouldn't be.

Agree that the space is very small with a tiny kitchen, so I expect it to be quite busy even with the patio. The bottle store will make a great addition for 'to go' beer.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

According to their website, they're open tonight from 6 to 11.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I was in for a tasting yesterday. In addition to the four beers mentioned previously, they had a fifth on - Cuvee du Grandma's Boy, which is a 2:1 blend of Grandma's Boy (a 10.2% Belgian ale, the rest of which has gone into wine barrels to age) and the Saison.

All five beers were top notch, and the ones that they have coming up - a Berliner Weisse, a Baltic Porter, an IPA, more Saisons - all sound great as well. I also loved the look and vibe of the place. I'll be back soon during regular hours to have a couple of pints and some food.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i have to say this place is sounding very promising

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Need to get here ASAP. Everything looks delicious

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:Need to get here ASAP. Everything looks delicious
+1 to that. And looks like they have growler fills too, which is great for those of us who don't live in the city.