Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Brewed a second batch of my Saison last night, transferring the first over to secondary. Have an IPA dry hopping too. I sense bottling in my not too distant future.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Brewing a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere clone. I was fortunate enough to bring some JP back from my last trip to Florida, and Bam Biere is now one of my favorite beers.

I'm doing primary with Wyeast 1388, and going to dump some Bam Biere dregs into secondary with some oak chips and dry hops.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... 49&start=0

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Just a simple pale ale, but our first ever brew, so big thanks to viggo for the walk hrough. Bunch of columbus and cascade. Smelled good, and no problems in the brew, so we'll see...

Baby due in a few weeks so I'm hoping to go in a steep learning curve and be able to brew something somewhat ageable!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i need to do a run a belgians while the weather is still warm and i can ferment hot for free

whats everyones fav belgian strain?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Did a fairly straight forward Weisse using the Safale WB-06 dry yeast. Threw in a pinch of coriander at the end of the boil, hope it turns out well.

Did a second take on the last best bitter I did, swapping Fuggles for Willamette. Hope to make this the first beer I keg.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

This weekend we'll be cooking up a robust porter, as well as a delayed racking of the pale into secondary.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

matt7215 wrote:whats everyones fav belgian strain?
WY3522
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Imperial Porter (5.5 gallons):

Grains (target OG 1.094): Pale Ale (80%), C90 (12.5%), Black (5%) & Chocolate (2.5%)

Hops (target 86 IBU): Magnum (bittering), Northern Brewer (bittering) & Cascade (flavour & aroma)

Yeast: Safale US-05 yeast cake

Smoking pork back ribs low & slow on the side..

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Apfelwein (5.5 gallons):

Fermentables: Apple Juice & Dextrose

Yeast: Red Star Montrachet

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Blended some Flanders Red last night:

50% 1 year
25% 2 year
12.5% 3 year
12.5% 4 year

Added 6lbs of sour cherries to 3 gallons of it, kegged 3 gallons, and put the other 6 gallons back into storage.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I can post on this thread now!!!!

:P

Well, Gentlemen...I am currently brewing a brown ale...I used a fresh cooper's extract and I am just single stage fermenting...I'm thrilled that my brew is off and fermenting...It may end up being a "robust brown", as I used less water than I probably should have. It was hard to not throw a 1/2 lb cheese cloth bag full of espresso beans into the boil, but randy wanted me to keep it simple, and he was/is totally right...

I am scared shitless of bottling, and in a week or so will be posting frantic questions about that subject...

But that, my friends, is what I am brewing...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

markaberrant wrote:Blended some Flanders Red last night:

50% 1 year
25% 2 year
12.5% 3 year
12.5% 4 year

Added 6lbs of sour cherries to 3 gallons of it, kegged 3 gallons, and put the other 6 gallons back into storage.
Aging these beers in Carboys?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

markaberrant wrote:Some basements in Canada stay cool enough to make good homebrew in the summer without temperature control. Temperature is very critical in making good beer, so I don't brew without being able to control it.

I typically brew in the summer, but took a break this year. The only downside to summer brewing is that the tap water is relatively warm, resulting in extended time and increased water usage to cool the wort down after boiling.

Saying that Saisons or Belgians should be fermented warm is a bit of an overstatement. You still want to start out the fermentation relatively cool, and then ramp it up as needed. Your fermentation temperature strategy is completely dependent on the yeast strain, style of beer, and type of fermentation characteristics you are hoping to create.

My favourite belgian strain is Wyeast 3787.
Saison takes its origins from hot summer fermentation. Some commercial brewers I know admitted that they ferment their saisons around 30'C.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Last night my first Cali Common went in the fermenter, can't wait.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

iguenard wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Saying that Saisons or Belgians should be fermented warm is a bit of an overstatement.
Saison takes its origins from hot summer fermentation. Some commercial brewers I know admitted that they ferment their saisons around 30'C.
Traditionally, nobody brewed beer in the summer because it was too damn hot and produced awful beer. Saisons were brewed in the winter and spring for consumption in the hot summer months.

Saying that commercial brewers "ferment their saisons around 30C," is an overstatement. You don't start ANY fermentation at 30C, you still want to start no higher than 20C (I would recommend 18C), and then ramp it up accordingly. And not all belgian strains (including some saison strains) benefit from super high temps anyways.
Last edited by markaberrant on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.