Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Propellor Extra Special Bitter. My first time trying it. It's a good English-style bitter, it reminds of a Wells IPA, Fuller's ESB on tap and Bass, as if you combined them in a craft version. The body seemed quite light to me, which may denote a high attenuation, which was traditional in bitter brewing in the 1800's. Or perhaps it underwent some evolution in the bottle. I found it very fizzy, but that's easily fixed by pouring hard and swirling in the glass. It's a nice alternative to the mass of mostly APA-style pale ales out there.

Gary
I quite like the Propelelr ESB, first tried it on the East Coast a few years ago, picked up a 6'er in Otterwa in Feb and then another in London a few weeks ago. I noticed a distinctly metallic aftertaste in the latest pack I picked up, though. Made it much less enjoyable. I don't know if I got a bad batch or if I just never noticed before.

Streets

Post by Streets »

416 Urban Wheat

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

sprague11 wrote:
iguenard wrote:Cellar clearing night with some boys while the son was sick.

Deschutes Dissident 2010 (wow)
Deschutes Abbyss 2010
Laurelwood Workhorse IPA
Surly Coffee Bender
Surly Abbrassive
Surly Furious
Alaskan Barleywine 2010
Bruery Loakal Red
Russian River Consecration (wow)
Pliny the Elders
Three Floyds Dark Lord 2009
Goudenband 2004
Hill Farmstead Edward
Bruery Trade Winds Triple
New Glarus Raspberry Tart
Voodoo White Magik of the Sun
Avery DuganA IPA
Laguinitas Hop Stoopid

Was very dissappointed with the Surly, especially compared to Pliny and Hill Farmstead. The HF was Edward, an american IPA and it out-hopped the Abbrassive and the Furious by a long shot. The Bender was also nothing special, got compared to Mill Street Coffee Porter.

The Dark Lord was my first taste. And thank god there were some friends to split this. I had trouble finishing my glass. Its so sweet and thick, cloying.

Highlights of the night were the Consecration and the Dissident. Big time flavour, great wild yeast aromas, very drinkeable.
How old were your surly's out of curiosity?
2 months for bender and furious, 3 for abbrassive.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

La Voie Maltée Polissonne. An odd but serviceable little Quebecois Barley Wine, or rather, Vin d'Orge. 3.99 at Omni, cheaper than Broue Ha Ha.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Enjoyed with some friends at home:

Taps Pacific Gem
Taps Chuck Noris/Sinister Sam
Amsterdam Tempest
Dogfish Head My Antonia

Thanks to Phirleh for hooking me up with the Tempest, and to electroluminescent for bringing over the Dogfish. Tempest was great - quite viscous with nice coffee, chocolate, and subtle smoke. I really hope Amsterdam brews more of it. The Pacific Gem was very English in flavour, so don't go expecting an AIPA if you see it on tap.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Ninkasi Tricerahops Double IPA.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout
Port Brewing Mongo IIPA
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

vincho

Post by vincho »

Rogue Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale, at 5.9% it goes really good with boiled crabs! Briney salty crab with bitter hops makes for an awesome meal!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

A working session at The Only which involves:

FM Smashbomb
Beau's Festivale
King Pilsner

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Had a really nice experience at the Golden Kiwi today, after picking up a case from GRB. Probably the best waitress I've had. Was expecting quite the opposite from the reputation the owner has! Grabbed a pint of Mill Race from the adjacent/attached Grand River tent (Mill Race Folk Festival is going on), and then had a Summer Saison from the Kiwi. Enjoyed a great blackened tilapia burger, topped with beets and a grilled corn salsa. I will definitely be returning - and to be honest, being a regular at the Judge, I'm not too concerned about surly service.

Grabbed some butter tarts from Dee's Bakery on the way home. :D

Tonight I will be finishing off what's left of the Taps growlers.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ritzkiss wrote:A working session at The Only which involves:

FM Smashbomb
Beau's Festivale
King Pilsner
They are serving craft now? Cool!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Sierra Nevada Stout (great to see this one in Buffalo now)
Half Pints Stir Stick Stout

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Cale wrote:Had a really nice experience at the Golden Kiwi today, after picking up a case from GRB. Probably the best waitress I've had. Was expecting quite the opposite from the reputation the owner has! Grabbed a pint of Mill Race from the adjacent/attached Grand River tent (Mill Race Folk Festival is going on), and then had a Summer Saison from the Kiwi. Enjoyed a great blackened tilapia burger, topped with beets and a grilled corn salsa. I will definitely be returning - and to be honest, being a regular at the Judge, I'm not too concerned about surly service.
Yeah it's a really solid place. I've always got along well with Len (the owner), so I wonder if he's cooled off a bit in the past few years. Would love to get down there more often.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Too much!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Friday at beerbistro and C'est What?:

Central City Red Racer IPA (can)
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA (bottle)
St. Ambroise India Pale Ale (draught)
Durham Hop Addict (draught)

Saturday at Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe:

F&M Stone Hammer Dark Ale (draught)
Black Oak Pale Ale (draught)

Yesterday at The Black Shire Pub:

Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale (draught)

All beered out today...Chicago and Toronto took a lot out of me! :P