Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Releases you're looking forward to...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

IPASlav

Releases you're looking forward to...

Post by IPASlav »

Around this time of year I get a little "weissed" and "hopped" out and I start looking forward to fall and winter releases.

What releases are you looking forward to the most in the coming months? Not just new stuff, but also old favourites that we only seem to get a few months a year.

For me its:

St. Ambrose pumpkin ale, (if we get it again)

Garrison Oktoberfest (in the fall)

Great Lakes Winter ale (I love the bottles but particularly love the one-off casks they do with thing like vanilla beans and oak chips in them.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

If the rumours are true and we are getting Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique this fall, then that is defintiely the one I am looking forward to the mose (even beating out Peche Mortel)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Definitely the LTM porter. Hoping for a couple good fest beers and curious to see if we get anything different in the Xmas gift packs.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Black Oak Nutcracker Porter.
lister

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I'm with you, Slav, in that right around now I start to get hop fatigue and a very faint itch starts for heavier, maltier, darker brews.

Looking forward to any and all Pumpkins (with the exception of Pumking - not even sure if that's coming this year or not), LTM Baltic Porter, Black Creek Olde Stout (the porter last year was excellent, hopefully the stout follows in this tradition), any smoked examples that local breweries may put out (Mill St, Amsterdam, GLB, Granite have all done them in the past), and, while not a new release, looking forward to the cooler nights that seem to beg for Aecht Schlenkerla Rauch. No beer is more evocative of fall than this one, to me.

So, to make a rambling sentence a bit clearer, what I'm looking forward to consuming more of are any examples of the following styles:
Pumpkin (with the exception of Pumking)
Stout/Porter
Smoked

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Hi guys -- good news/bad news... the LCBO increased their buy of St. Ambroise Pumpkin Ale. Not the recommended 1800 cases we suggested -- but 900 cases -- after we begged and showed all the emails we got from misunderstood consumers that were told "the brewery didn't make enough" (ouch) :o when the LCBO only purchased 500 cases last year (to our frustrated dismay). It wasn't even enough to go around to the 'forced list' stores.

With 900 cases, it should last for about 10 days instead of the usual week after it is released. :-?

Some other "Good news" - as a way 'around' the LCBO and to quench the thirst of Pumpkin beer drinkers, we brought in kegs of the Pumpkin Ale last year. We will be making a comeback with Pumpkin kegs again this fall.

I am also looking forward to LTM Porter Baltique -- I had it at last year's CBA - recommended by Ralph at Volo (thank you Ralph!!) Absolutely amazing.

I have a bottle of the current Ayinger Celebrator in my basement -- I have never tried it but I am definitely curious after reading all the reviews on the Fall Release post.

Cheers,
B

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

thanks for this - love St. Ambroise Pumkin! Glad to at least hear it's coming back!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

lister wrote:Black Oak Nutcracker Porter.

yeah! Am I way off or it this one of the best casks this province has?

free bacon

Post by free bacon »

I was thinking the same thing just the other day as i finished of another IPA. I think I'm going to finish off the summer on a weiss kick then on to the darker stuff.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JeffPorter wrote:
lister wrote:Black Oak Nutcracker Porter.
yeah! Am I way off or it this one of the best casks this province has?
It is very nice. It's one of the few regular casks I look forward to.

One of the very best beer drinking nights of my life was several years ago at Volo when Nutcracker was both on tap & on cask and Perry Mason's (Scotch Irish) Vanilla Bean Porter was on cask. I drank just those three all night.

A few days ago when I was reorganizing one of my lockers I found the 2-4 of Nutcracker that I got back in December. I had only drank a few bottles and forgotten about it. Oops! I'll be good until the next seasonal batch is ready later in the year.
lister

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Grand River Pugnacious Pale Ale and Celebrator Dopplebock. The Celebrator is the closest thing I've ever come to giving a perfect 5 on RB.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

The Celebrator for sure! I've never had a chance to try it before. Also some stouts... I need more stouts.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

This reminds me, I still have a few pumpkin beers in my fridge. I decided to save them for later in the winter to make them last, then it just never seemed important enough of an occasion to finish of the last of what I had, and then there were spring seasonals and then a whack of new IPAs... maybe I should just save them 'till late Sept?

I'm really hoping for some Whychwood Bah Humbug this Cmas. I nearly missed it two years ago, it wasn't ordered last year and now that I can't have it, I want it more. Maybe it's not being ordered ever again? :( I think I'm also just looking forward to the spiced beers in the winter in general.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

re: spiced beers...I hope st. peter's winter comes back too...I remember Bah Humbug two years ago too!!! It'd be nice to get that back...

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Really looking forward to the Great Lakes seasonals..pumpkin...winter...they were stellar last year.

I look forward to the Pumpkin beers every year. I'm a huge fan. One of my favs last year was def the Grand River one...I really hope to get that again.

Come winter all I buy are winter beers...and loads of Sierra Nevada Celebration.