Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

what should smoke first?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

The Mick wrote:a non-meat option for dinner guests.
It is called beer.

jprime

Post by jprime »

The Mick wrote:
jprime wrote:Well there is a bit of fat on the outside on the loin but the meat is lean and tends to dry out. This is not an oppion of mine....pretty common knowledge.
I think you missed the point of this duder. I don't think mintjellie was diasagreeing with pork loin being lean at all. Read your words in his quote a little more carefully and you might be surprised.

Also, I doubt many veggies smoke (I'm not one of them, my g/f is), but smoked tofu (extra firm) is really nice if you need a non-meat option for dinner guests.
Ha!!! I totally missed that. Maybe I should learn how to spell, but that wouldn't be as much fun would it. Thanks for showing me that Mick!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Here's a strange one: pork KNUCKLE. Yes, go smoke some knee joints of pigs, and then bake those suckers in a sauerkraut casserole with juniper berries and side with the aforementioned baked peas topped w onions.

The most succulent meat of any porcine mammal as yet encountered. Just call it Schweinhaxen and all your trusting guests will devour it.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

(formerly IPASlav here...)

those of you who smoke, what kind of smoker do you have?

Thanks for all the input btw!!!

I realized that I need a COVER for it...it's electronic and can't be exposed to rain. Since I don't have an overhang of any type I need someway to keep it dry!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

We use an Orion. You can fit a whole turkey in it! Delicious!
We can get drunker than this!!

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I built one out of an old bar fridge for a pub I used to work at. The removeable racks were great for smoking many smaller things like steelhead trout fillets, red onions, pork bellies, etc. When they were removed we could fit a 2 whole sides of ribeye in there. Worked fantastic, then four years later the new guy at work wanted to impress the boss with his 'no-job-to-big-for-me' attitude, so he cleaned the smoker inside and out. All that beautiful, black, delicious gunk that leant so much flavour to whatever we put in there; gone. It was a sad day to say the least. He didn't get fired, but 'Smokey' still hasn't lived it down to this day, nor shall he ever.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

I have a brinkman-style bullet that runs over a propane burner at home, and an unknown brand of off-set at Castro's. To be honest, for BBQ events at the bar, I start the meat at the bar on the offset, smoke it for a few hours to get the patrons ridiculously hungry, then pop the cut in a hotel pan and walk it home, and leave it in my bullet until about 2 hours before it's ready, when I move it back to the bar. For a full shoulder or a packer brisket, it's perfect. I spend most of a Friday or Saturday night making the patrons crazy with meat-lust, then draw them all back mid-afternoon the next day. Plus I still get 6 hours or so of sleep.

I'm pretty sure you can get premade covers for Bradleys, there's some good BBQ supply shops online that could probably ship one to you.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

They do have covers...I haven't made it to Canadian Tire yet, but they may sell them...If not I'll have to order...I just don't want to set it up without some sort of cover, and I'm getting anxious to smoke!!!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

First Smoke!!!

It was simple chicken, and a very small batch too (four breasts), but worked pretty well...I have a couple pics, but they're nothing special, but here's what I did...

Four bone in, skin on breasts

Made a simple brine this morning, brined chicken for about 5 hours...

Started smoking at about two...just put pepper and evoo on it. I was worried a little b/c it was taking a long time to get up to temp and it's going to take a while to get used to the temp adjustments...I smoked with half maple half alder

About half way though, put a sauce on that was Brooklyn Lager, grainy mustard, honey, brown sugar, chilis, and some fresh herbs...

After I pulled them out and tasted them (they didn't dry out at all, though the brine may have been a bit stong - haven't made one in a long time) and I realized...hey...this is smoked chicken...one of the most versatile ingredients there is!

So I shredding the chicken, whipped up some crepes, and stuffed them with the the chicken, Blarney Castle cheese, and jalepenos...

AWESOME!!! So friggin good...both wife and kids loved it...

While I'm really looking forward to doing different kinds of pork, smoked chicken really is a thing of beauty. I realized that I can just load that thing with chicken on Sunday and have a half-dozen ways to make it during the week: BBQ Chicken pizza, chili, quesedillas, stew, even grilled cheese...

I love this thing!!! :D :D :D
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Good to hear it went well. I like to cook up large amounts of meat on the smoker too. As you say, so many uses. And get yourself a foodsaver, BBQ stores very well when frozen and vacuum sealed.

Another real easy one is sausage. Threw a pack on the smoker about an hour ago.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I recently decided to ditch propane, and purchased a charcoal grill (weber one touch gold 22.5"). I plan to purchase a charcoal smoker at some point in the near future, however in the meantime I will attempt to do some smoking with the grill. My understanding is that people have had success in producing decent barbecue by this approach.

Anyone here have experience/success with smoking in a kettle grill?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.