Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer for Camping

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Baulz

Beer for Camping

Post by Baulz »

What is your favorite brew to take camping? It obviously has to be cans so that limits the choices. I've been drinking lots of Crazy Canuck this summer, just picked up some Square Nail today, was hoping for Red Racer but have to wait a while....

Streets

Post by Streets »

If the weather is nice and warm then some Denison's Weiss might be a good choice.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Headstrong Pale is a great canned option. Can't go wrong with the Fuller's selections as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Köstritzer is now in a bottle unfortunately.

What about Fullers stuff (Porter, London Pride.)

I'd love some Brown Ales in a can for outdoor imbibing.
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

One camping trip took up a lot of Hockley Valley Dark and Fullers ESB. Next trip a boatload of Great Lakes Devils Pale Ale (and Crazy Canuck) as well as Creemore Kellerbier. And a few BLL for the non craft drinker.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Fullers Porter FTW!

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Thanks for the replies, but I should have added a disclaimer to only suggest beer available in Peterborough! No Headstrong or Denison's, going to pick up some Fullers today, and depending on how tonight goes I may have to go back to the Publican for more.

Weather looks great for the weekend!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Peterborough: In that case load yourself up with square nail, some fullers if you want something malty and you're good to go...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I forgot Neustadt beers. 10W-40 is a nice Brown Ale. And Hockley Valley are still passible (Dark and Stout.)
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

My personal choice would be a lightly hopped session lager that is well crafted. Preferably something local.

That or a Bavarian style Weiss.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Aside from the chilly May long weekends I can't imagine drinking stouts or porters while camping as some have suggested?

For hot summer days and warm camping nights around a fire I like the weissbier reco's if you can find any in your area? The GLB Devil's Pale Ale has been a nice camping beer too.

I usually go car camping so don't worry about the bottles/cans issue.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I found Amsterdam Big Wheel Amber to be a quite pleasant campfire beer this summer. For whatever reason, I too prefer the lightly hopped, sessionable beers for outdoor drinking. Not sure why.