Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brooklyn Brew Shop

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Garthicus

Brooklyn Brew Shop

Post by Garthicus »

I came across this company http://brooklynbrewshop.com/ online, turns out a few shops in Toronto stock their kits. So I just bought the ’Everyday IPA’ kit and hope to brew maybe this weekend or Monday/Tues the whole kit (carboy etc) cost me $64 tax inc and also comes with one pack of ingredients

The idea behind the company is for people in apartments to be able to brew easily. I’ve read good reviews, I’m looking forward to it.

The ingredients/refills (all grain) are being sold at William Sonoma for $15 BTW..

Has anyone tried their kits?
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I've read about them too and have three kits, Chocolate Maple Porter, Tea and Toast and Summer Wheat. I originally only wanted two but Williams Sonoma was liquidating the kits for $15 so what the hell... :)

I haven't tried any yet largely due to time issues. I'll be in a position to finally start one this weekend.

Which Williams Sonoma did you go to that has the refills? Eaton Centre? I've managed to only get one refill of the Everyday IPA.

BYOB on Queen W has/had the kits and Everyday IPA refills the last time I was there.
lister

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Ohhh! I was under the impression that the ingredients were on sale for $15 but it's the KITS? Bargain!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Sil

Post by Sil »

We got 2 of the wheat kits for $15 each at Sherway last weekend. Got 1 batch bubbling and will start the other in a few weeks.

It was pretty easy from what I saw, though I only helped a bit. I'm doing 'my' kit next and there will be some mad science involved.

I didn't see any refills at Williams Sonoma when I was there.

free bacon

Post by free bacon »

I was at sherway the other day and didn't see any kits or refills... although I didn't bother asking anyone. Whats included in the refills and the kits? I imagine a drive up to brampton could get you all you need for less at the homebrew shop.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I just bought the Everyday IPA kit as well and might give it a go this weekend. I wanted to jump into small batch all grain brewing using the directions from the "Homebrew Nano System" feature in the Summer 2010 TAPS issue, which just happens to use the same 1 gallon carboy available in the Brooklyn brew kit. Very convienient.

Edit...on re-reading the TAPS article, it is actually is based on starting with the Brooklyn kit and then adding to it by making a small scale lauter tun nad a few other small extras.

Sil

Post by Sil »

free bacon wrote:I was at sherway the other day and didn't see any kits or refills... although I didn't bother asking anyone. Whats included in the refills and the kits?
We had to ask, as they were kinda stuffed in the back in the 'sale' section. It includes the grain/yeast/hops for a Summer Wheat batch. The glass fermenter. Some crap to bottle and a thermometer.

We've already been out to Brampton to prepare for our first 'non-kit' batches and will be brewing up a smoked porter and all-amarillo IPA in the next few weeks.

For the $15 we invested in the kits, I'm happy with what we got.

wilco

Post by wilco »

Got this at the Bloor street store. $30 for the Everyday IPA kit. Hoping to make my first batch tonight!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

They were clearing these out at the Eaton Centre this week, got the last Everyday IPA full kit for $14.50. I'll be giving this as a Christmas gift and will probably round the package out with the forthcoming BBS small-batch recipe book:

Sil

Post by Sil »

We've brewed our first batches with the kit now and started drinking them. The wheat made to spec is just 'OK'. Very fruity. Obviously these kits aren't designed to make extreme beers. I'll be curious to hear how the IPA comes out.

We've got our own recipes (smoked porter and Amarillo IPA) fermenting now. The hardest part was reducing the 5 gallon recipes down to 1 gallon, as you get to the point where it asks you to add '.09 oz' of a hop. That's, like, 4 pellets!

I will highly recommend an auto-siphon. We picked one up in Buffalo and it's made the whole process a lot easier. We also picked up a few extra 1 gallon glass jugs for 'secondary' fermentation.

I plan on getting the BBS book as well when it comes out.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Did anyone ever end up making the Everyday IPA?

Was thinking about picking up a kit for my first homebrew..

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Similarly, there's The Brewers Market:
http://thebrewersmarket.com/store/about-us

They were brought up here:
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6243

They do look like an easy, manageable way to start all-grain brewing. Great way to learn the process. It may not be as efficient or cost-effective, though that depends how many 5 Ga batches a newbie might dump!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Can anyone offer any more input about this type of kit? I saw on Facebook that the Brookly Brewery is offering their branded version of this kit for sale in their online store.

http://store.brooklynbrewery.com/beer-m ... -brown-ale

The one gallon kit sounds interesting to me. I have wanted to try homebrewing for awhile but have been worried that with a 5 gallon kit I could spend a bunch of time brewing but make a mistake and end up with a lot of bad beer. Plus it would seem that 1 gallon would take less time, especially in bottling, not to mention I would need less bottles. Plus I have a bit of beer ADD so being stuck with 5 gallons of something when I like to have different stuff all the time doesn't really appeal to me.

That said, are there any drawbacks to this type of system, or the similar one Derek posted? How hard would it be to switch up to a 5 gallon system down the road (as far as equipment goes)? And as far as ingredients, how easy is it to get ingredients for 1 gallon batches?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I finally got to brewing my first kit yesterday afternoon. So far no bubbling. :(
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

It's alive!!! :D (Lazy slow buggers.)
lister