Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

iguenard wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Blended some Flanders Red last night:

50% 1 year
25% 2 year
12.5% 3 year
12.5% 4 year

Added 6lbs of sour cherries to 3 gallons of it, kegged 3 gallons, and put the other 6 gallons back into storage.
Aging these beers in Carboys?
In Better Bottles, yes.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I'm putting together a recipe for a Galaxy single hop IPA that I will be brewing this weekend.

Galaxy IPA (11 gallons):

Fermentables (target OG 1.080):
85% Pale malt (2°L)
5% Munich malt (9°L)
5% Victory malt (25°L)
5% British Crystal malt (55°L)

Hops (target IBU 80):
3 oz. Galaxy hops (13.0% AA) @ 60 min.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ 10 min.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ 5 min.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ 0 miin.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ dry hop

Single infusion mash at 152°F.

Yeast:
Safale US-05
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

An all Aramis IPA. We decided to go the smash route to showcase the hop character. Absolutely no idea how it will turn out. Considering we're using half a pound in a 5 gallon batch it could be interesting...

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

cannondale wrote:
Hops (target IBU 80):
3 oz. Galaxy hops (13.0% AA) @ 60 min.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ 10 min.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ 5 min.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ 0 miin.
2 oz. Galaxy hops @ dry hop
Wow; 11oz of hops...and at that AA. That's going to pucker some mouths. My brewing partner is loathe to brew those kinds of beers because he like "easy-to-please"beer, but I might sneak something like this in.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Picked fresh cascades about an hour ago. Just started running off the mash, making 10 gallons of wet hop pale ale.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I have a 6 gallon batch of American imperial stout in secondary aging on Jack Daniels whisky barrel wood, and another 6 gallon batch of imperial Irish stout aging on Jim Beam bourbon wood chips.

Just tried both individually and I'm quite pleased with the result. The Jim Beam wood was older and drier and came out more oak-y, and the JD came out more vanilla. Each has it's own nice wooden character that is accentuated by the yeast I chose (pacman for american, Irish ale for Irish).

A 50% blend of each though... My god! Delicious stuff. Be warned, if I can manage to carbonate this monster, TBW 2012 will see my first entry.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

markaberrant wrote:Picked fresh cascades about an hour ago. Just started running off the mash, making 10 gallons of wet hop pale ale.
This was our day too. Fresh picked cascade hops into a 15 gallon wet hop ale. I think we used a little over 2 lb total of cascades (wet) and a bit more centennial.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

xocoatl wrote:This was our day too. Fresh picked cascade hops into a 15 gallon wet hop ale. I think we used a little over 2 lb total of cascades (wet) and a bit more centennial.
I used 3lbs of wet cascades as finishing hops for 10 gallons.

Gonna pick the rest tomorrow, there are still lots left on the vines. Should have another 3lbs or so, will use as finishing hops in an Old Ale and supplemented with dry Chinook and dry Cascades in a massive, hoppy US Barleywine.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

xocoatl wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Picked fresh cascades about an hour ago. Just started running off the mash, making 10 gallons of wet hop pale ale.
This was our day too. Fresh picked cascade hops into a 15 gallon wet hop ale. I think we used a little over 2 lb total of cascades (wet) and a bit more centennial.
I picked my new plants today as well. Only 4 oz for 5 plants. Wish I could've been brewing a wet-hopped ale as usual. Next year...

Hopaholic

Post by Hopaholic »

Hamilton Brian wrote: Wow; 11oz of hops...and at that AA. That's going to pucker some mouths. My brewing partner is loathe to brew those kinds of beers because he like "easy-to-please"beer, but I might sneak something like this in.
Just toss a handfull of hops into the boil when he isnt looking. :evil:

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Whipped up a batch of 1.087 Old Ale yesterday. 40 IBU, with a bit of wet cascade for finishing. Lots of amber, melanoidin and C120, with a few ounces of chocolate.

Kegged the wet hop pale ale a few days ago... very promising, the wet local cascades seem far more tropical than the usual grapefruit cascade character I am used to, but we will see what some conditioning does.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

A bunch of us (about 7 brewers), had a brewing demonstration day at Brewtime in Hamilton. Great weather, a variety of processes (BIAB, cereal mashes, Zapap), and a few Bartowelers dropped by. A very good time!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 64d&type=1

I did a Beer Geek Breakfast clone, that smelled really nice!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

Brewed a Bumble Bee Stout on Saturday.
5 Gallons
OG: 1.074
IBU: 43

Malt
84.66 % 2 Row
4.62 % Black Malt
3.39 % Wheat Malt
3.08 % Roasted Barley
2.71 % Chocolate Malt
1.54 % Crystal 120

Hops
14.00 g Williamette First Wort
28.00 g Williamette 60 mins
28.35 g Cascade 15 mins
28.35 g Cascade 5 mins
14.00 g Williamette 15 mins

1pkg Nortwest Ale yeast in a 3.0L starter

Plus one Bumble Bee that flew across the top of the boil kettle and got zapped by the steam. Poor guy was stuck in the hot break at the bottom of the kettle after I transferred the wort out.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Not sure what to call this one, but:

4kg 2-row
2kg German Pils
100g Fuggles

Mash with 17 quarts water, 9:20 at around 152F
Finished mash at around 10:30

Rolling boil begins 12:35
60min: 65g Fuggles
15min: 25g Fuggles; 1:20pm
0 min: 19g Fuggles
Chiller: 1:35 to 2:05
OG: 74F with 1.061
White Labs English Dry Ale

I think I was playing with a Bitter/Kolsch combination. The German Pils malt probably won't add much to it. All in all a one off with leftovers.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

cannondale wrote:Next weekend will be an abbey single/petit saison 11 gallon split batch.

Fermentables: Pils malt, Abbey malt & Cane sugar
Hops: Hallertau (bittering) & Saaz (flavour & aroma)
Yeast: Wyeast 1762 (1st half) & Wyeast 3711 (2nd half)
I finally tapped this abbey single (brewed in January, keg conditioning ever since) yesterday. Very nice biscuity flavour, with decent, yet muted Belgian character from the 1762. At 4.5% abv, a very quaffable ale, perfect for the season.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.