Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

When is a "pint" a pint?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

When is a "pint" a pint?

Post by zane9 »

Seasoned BT forumites, you may have been asked this question 1000 times, but I'll stick my neck out and ask again.

When I go to any one of my favorite bars featuring craft-brewed goodness, find out what's on tap, and ask for a pint of (whatever), how much liquid am I being served?

Is it an "Imperial pint" of about 568ml? An "American pint" of 470ml? Or whatever amount they darn well please?

Apparently, Measurement Canada says the establishment should be serving the amount defined as the Imperial pint. But is there a legal requirement? I sometimes get the feeling that I'm being short-changed.

Thanks.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Unfortunately, it's pretty much whatever they call a pint.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

You really should search for old topics before posting a new thread on a question that has been asked again and again...

Here's an even older discussion;
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=605

And there are others as well.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:You really should search for old topics before posting a new thread on a question that has been asked again and again...
Jon's not really condescending - just British. ;) Actually to be fair the question hasn't been raised in some time, and now and then you want to check in how things have progressed in a year & include a fresh perspective or two.

And as a funny aside Burger Bar served me a "10 oz" serving of Ten Bitter Years DIPA in a clearly-marked glass.

An EIGHT oz glass.

Yep, marked glassware would make our lives so much easier.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

In defense of new and new(ish) BTers not searching for topics before posting, I have to say as a new member I search a lot before I post...

And with all due respect to the moderators, I find the search interface pretty user "unfriendly" . When I searched for "perfect pint" in the topic heading (in quotes) 121 pages of results returned. Then when I tried to click on the thread in which we are currently discussing...it said my access was forbidden...

...so...yeah...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JeffPorter wrote:In defense of new and new(ish) BTers not searching for topics before posting, I have to say as a new member I search a lot before I post...

And with all due respect to the moderators, I find the search interface pretty user "unfriendly" . When I searched for "perfect pint" in the topic heading (in quotes) 121 pages of results returned. Then when I tried to click on the thread in which we are currently discussing...it said my access was forbidden...

...so...yeah...
Its a quirk of the forum code. You need to cut out part of the URL to get it to work. Which if we can't fix it, perhaps we could make it a sticky/part of a FAQ?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The search sucks the big one. Start a new thread. Who effing cares. It's cyberspace.
No one forces one to read a thread, and any thread is easily ignored. It is a simple matter of a couple clicks.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm not against new threads but sometimes newbies can glean some useful information by searching old threads and reviving them...which was the underlying point.

And yes, the search function does suck. But if you do single keyword searches or use the modifiers like AND, OR then you'll get more specific results. As Jeremy mentioned, threads that fail to open just need the url trimmed to end with the thread number and they will display.

Think of the Bartowel forums like you would an antique car. You may have to suffer some technological drawbacks but the experience is rewarding if you're patient.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Jon Walker wrote:Think of the Bartowel forums like you would an antique car. You may have to suffer some technological drawbacks but the experience is rewarding if you're patient.
Thanks for the support Jon. I would happily accept anyone's expertise if they would like to assist in technically upgrading the forums. It is not a super-simple task from what I can gather but if someone would like to help there would be plenty of beer as a reward.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Another issue I've seen recently is with bars using branded glassware. For instance at my local they've been serving Spearhead in branded tulip glasses, which I believe some people here have measured as only being 400ml. Everything else on tap is served in 20oz glasses...

For anyone who's measured the Spearhead glassware, are they 400ml to the pour line on the back? If so, at least my pub was filling them up to the top.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Streets wrote:For anyone who's measured the Spearhead glassware, are they 400ml to the pour line on the back? If so, at least my pub was filling them up to the top.
I thought they were marked, but at any rate servers are usually very clear it is a 400ml. It's kind if a nice medium-size serving. Also goes farther for the bar given it costs $250/keg.
In Beerum Veritas

zane9

Post by zane9 »

As the person who started this thread, I had no wish to offend the long-time participants in BT. Just keep in mind that forums, over time, are like a long-running conversation and sometimes topics get repeated. New people arrive, other people leave or cut back on their participation.

While I may be a newbie, I am quite adept at searching, and do so on a number of forums in which I participate. I have not experienced this bug elsewhere. I suspect that the search function problem is tied into the software running the forums. It's not immediately obvious what software is running BT. The cure is the subject of another thread in another BT forum.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

On behalf of long time participants (go on say it, old dudes) no offense is taken. However where I beg to differ is the idea that new threads freshen topics. The question you posed has been well considered and well discussed over the years. In situations like this it would be better for newer members to review such threads and decide if what you are asking is really something previously not answered or discussed sufficiently. Even so it's helpful to everyone to add to old threads so that it expands on information already offered and evolves the topic rather than simply reiterates it.

The search feature here does have issues but when I read your first post and remembered earlier threads on the same topic I keyword searched "pint" in Random Talk and found the thread I hyper linked in less than a minute.

Anyone with web savvy who can help in updating the software will automatically be granted super-hero status by us crusty old buggers.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

you can use google to search the forums. for instance:

perfect pint site:bartowel.com