Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

The amazing Driftwood Twenty Pounder IIPA. Imagine, if you can, Red Racer IPA doubled in citrus hop intensity. Unreal.

I actually decided to cut the beer it was so hop potent. Now drinking half a bomber of 20lb'er with a full can of Mt.Begbie Country Kolsch. Wow, really nice hybrid. The beer is given a slightly more cereal malt backing that reveals itself more prominently due to the crazy hop content of the Driftwood beer being reigned in a bit. Still tastes like an IIPA just not an out of control hop monster.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tree Hop Head India Pale Ale - yum!

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Tonight:

Pliny The Elder
He' Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A

both were amazing, but it was my first Pliny and it lives up to the hype. The balance and complexity is mind blowing, my first RR was Blind Pig which was amazing but Pliny is in a class of its own.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

PeenSteen wrote:Tonight:
but it was my first Pliny and it lives up to the hype. The balance and complexity is mind blowing,
Balance???? I recall it being a complete hop bomb!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Jon Walker wrote:The amazing Driftwood Twenty Pounder IIPA. Imagine, if you can, Red Racer IPA doubled in citrus hop intensity. Unreal.

I actually decided to cut the beer it was so hop potent. Now drinking half a bomber of 20lb'er with a full can of Mt.Begbie Country Kolsch. Wow, really nice hybrid. The beer is given a slightly more cereal malt backing that reveals itself more prominently due to the crazy hop content of the Driftwood beer being reigned in a bit. Still tastes like an IIPA just not an out of control hop monster.
Jon, you might want to check your security settings - it looks like Gary's hacked your account.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Jon, you might want to check your security settings - it looks like Gary's hacked your account.

I was going to say the same thing :D

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:Tonight:
but it was my first Pliny and it lives up to the hype. The balance and complexity is mind blowing,
Balance???? I recall it being a complete hop bomb!
yeah at first it was, but it hit a point where the bitterness almost subsided and it was just smooth sailing the rest of the way. The first half was really hoppy for sure though. Unreal stuff though.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Pugnacious Pale Ale. Average.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Lagunitas Lucky 13.alt-I take Lagunitas for granted sometimes just due to their wide availability in Alberta, but everything they do is just so damn solid.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

wittaker wrote:Jon, you might want to check your security settings - it looks like Gary's hacked your account.

I have finally surrendered to Gary's beer mixing cult. How long before I'm cutting Westvleteren with Wildcat?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

At Gambrinus last night I drank

Mill Street Blueberry
St Ambroise IPA
Neustadt Sour Kraut (thanks Milos!)
Smashbomb
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at barVolo:

2010 Garrison Ol' Fog Burner
Dunham Pale Ale Americaine
2008 Alley Kat Olde Deuteronomy

Received fantastic service from Steph, who remembered us from the last time we came to Smokeless Joe. She's incredibly passionate and friendly, and Volo is lucky to have her as part of their staff. Awesome night all around!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:
wittaker wrote:Jon, you might want to check your security settings - it looks like Gary's hacked your account.

I have finally surrendered to Gary's beer mixing cult. How long before I'm cutting Westvleteren with Wildcat?
Good way to use beers you're not quite enjoying. I mean the hop monster, not the Westvleteren 12! Are you sane man?
Blends can be risky. Good blends are not muddled, but end up more 'layered' - you can still taste the best of both (greater than sum of its parts.)

edit - it's now 6pm, and thanks to Wittaker I'm drinking Phillips Hop Circle I picked up at Weston LCBO! Cheers.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Streets

Post by Streets »

Last night I had a Pugnacious and a Hop Head. Also a sample of a friends homebrewed DIPA which was quite good!

BTW, I'm assuming the information on the Pugnacious bottles is correct? I noticed that the LCBO has it listed as:
PUGNACIOUS PALE ALE
LCBO 261271 | 500 mL bottle

Price: $ 3.60
Beer
6.3% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : 3

Made in: Ontario, Canada
By: Grand River Brewing

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Well done Jon, it sounds very good. As Belgian says, if done right you get a "layered" effect, complex and pleasing is how I'd put it.

I mean, why can a brewer blend three hops (say) and you can't?

Tonight I did 50/50 Czechvar and Keith's Ambrosia and it was just perfect, somewhat like Staropramen but much better IMO.

Gary
Gary Gillman