Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Blankboy wrote:Spearhead is, frustratingly, the most expensive Craft Beer in Ontario. It will certainly deter me from having as much of it as I'd like.
a very odd way to introduce a new brewery in to the Ontario marketplace.....

Weissebier

Post by Weissebier »

I happened to be on my way to Owen Sound on the weekend, and happened to notice a arrow sign along the highway near Blue Mountain that read "Pineapple beer is here". Not sure what the place was, obviously a restaurant/bar.

W.

heebes

Post by heebes »

tried this today, i was really impressed with it on tap. great nose and well balanced taste. so crisp.

price didnt bother me at all, but i wanted to try it ay least once either way. however if this ever comes in bottles that'll certainly be my main concern.

worth a try!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Blankboy wrote:Spearhead is, frustratingly, the most expensive Craft Beer in Ontario. It will certainly deter me from having as much of it as I'd like.
I agree and I think it's weird.(Rhino is definitely the place to drink it though)

But then, they marketed and advertised like crazy right out of the gate...When they launched they were paying for the glasses of beer to and they seemed to be launching at at every place under the sun in that two week period

Also, ever been to their website? Large budget productions on how and why they chose the glass they did...

I think he/they spent a lot of money early on, so maybe that's part of it...And hey we keep buying out the batches, so...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
I agree and I think it's weird.(Rhino is definitely the place to drink it though)
Introducing a more expensive product can create intrigue, even if the product is not intrinsically better than, say Smashbomb or Mad Tom. I'm just offering that opinion, YMMV.

But a high price can be great advertising, since we are all suckers on a consumer-programmed level.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: Introducing a more expensive product can create intrigue, even if the product is not intrinsically better ... But a high price can be great advertising, since we are all suckers on a consumer-programmed level.
I suspect that is the goal, but I guess the question is do you want to sell 1 pint to a new customer, or 5 to someone you have already convinced?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The other thing I think is interesting, is that I can't think of another brewery in the province that serves using their own 300-400ml tulip glass.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

The price point is certainly curious but the beer even more so. I've had it at about 5 different establishments now and it has had a wide variance from average to great. I remember reading that they're doing some sort of keg conditioning that means it's more up to the bars in keeping it in top shape. I have no problem paying a little more for a top-notch product but when there is such a wide variance and a decent chance that the product is not in top form I balk a little at paying a premium price.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:
Belgian wrote: Introducing a more expensive product can create intrigue, even if the product is not intrinsically better ... But a high price can be great advertising, since we are all suckers on a consumer-programmed level.
I suspect that is the goal, but I guess the question is do you want to sell 1 pint to a new customer, or 5 to someone you have already convinced?
Those who like it, like it a lot! And I'm not just making a Keith's joke. I've observed hop-tolerant drinkers tend to like it fanatically, and some non-hop lovers think it's awful.

And Jer I don't lnow if price matters to their bottom line, in overall units sold VS profit per unit (ie do they make just as much money selling less for more, who can say.) Maybe the more 'frugal' consumers are not important if all product turns over regardless.

The thistle-shape glassware comment is relevant, I guess we pay for that too and it's unusual, classy and functional. Again creates strong branding & product intrigue.
In Beerum Veritas

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Belgian wrote:The thistle-shape glassware comment is relevant, I guess we pay for that too and it's unusual, classy and functional. Again creates stong branding & product intrigue.
The reason for the glass, in my opinion is, so that establishments charge you for a full pint even though it's not a pint glass.

Ka-ching!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blankboy wrote:
Belgian wrote:The thistle-shape glassware comment is relevant, I guess we pay for that too and it's unusual, classy and functional. Again creates stong branding & product intrigue.
The reason for the glass, in my opinion is, so that establishments charge you for a full pint even though it's not a pint glass.

Ka-ching!
LOL right, because (see any thread about reliable pint servings in Ontario - slash - Duggan's Brewery...)

What I'm suggesting is at least you have a chance of getting a consistent 400ml in this case, in a standard glass marked at fill line. And to play devil's advocate I had the impression the thistle is usually not as big as 20 oz or 500 ml. Am I wrong?
In Beerum Veritas

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Belgian wrote:What I'm saying is at least you have a chance of getting 400ml in this case, in a standard glass market at fill line. And to play devil's advocate I had the impression the thistle is usually not as big as 20 oz or 500 ml.
I'm not arguing the size of the glass, establishments are being told they have to serve the beer in Spearhead's glass while charging you for a full pint.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I get you.
In Beerum Veritas

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Belgian wrote:I get you.
Finally!

Belgian