Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

current APA,IPA of choice

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

current APA,IPA of choice

Post by matt7215 »

now that we actually have a selection of year round apa/ipa's to choose from, what are you grabbing the most and why?

me - mad tom

reason - consistancy

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

second most purchased for me in crazy canuck

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I have been loving the crazy cannuck over the summer great beer. For a non lcbo choice I have to say sinister sam from taps brew pub. It has been tasting great lately.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Smashbomb & Crazy Canuck and Hophead my 3 regular APA/IPA selections hand down partly because I can usually only procure LCBO products..as road trips are unfortunately not in the plans due to family/budgetary restraints...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Mad Tom & Crazy Canuck for me.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Hands down, red racer. One of my locals always has a few cases on display.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Mad Tom. Because I love centennial hops.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:me - mad tom

reason - consistency
Yep, that one for same reason & Red Racer.

Though Stone IPA from the bottle is a great TV-watching IPA.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

kafercrazy wrote:Mad Tom & Crazy Canuck for me.
Same.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Locally, Mad Tom, though if Smashbomb settles on a consistent formula i'll be happy.

Out of province: Stone IPA and Dale's Pale Ale

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Ontario: Mad Tom
US: Edward, Hill Farmstead (APA)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

IPA: Mad tom: Consistent, and VERY available.

APA: Crazy Canuck, but only because I don't live in Peterborough and can't buy Square Nail from the Publican brewery EVERY DAY!!!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Canadian IPA: Tree Hop Head / Muskoka Mad Tom / Flying Monkeys Smash Bomb interchangeably. I find them all to be reliable and decidedly above average, especially compared to everything else available at the 'BO/TBS.

Ontario APA: Great Lakes Crazy Canuck hands down. I think it's sad and almost infuriating that this exemplary pale is only rated as "good" (B/3.69) on Beer Advocate, just because they screwed up the initial release with some diacetyl problems. I deleted my old review and added a new one as soon as they cleaned up the recipe. Luckily the current RB score (89/92) is much more reflective of the outstanding quality of this ale.

US APA/IPA: been savouring my half cases of Three Floyds Alpha King and Half Acre Daisy Cutter over the last month and a bit. Following our upcoming Grand Rapids trip, it'll probably be one of the Michigan world beaters, like Two Hearted or Centennial.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I was never much of a Pale Ale drinker before, but the beers below have shown me the light...

Canadian IPA - Muskoka Mad Tom
Canadian APA - Great Lakes Crazy Canuck
US IPA - Southern Tier IPA
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I still haven't found a go-to IPA. I am hoping that we start to see consistent batches of Smash Bomb because that is certainly the best alternative, when it is "on"

The best APA is without a doubt Crazy Canuck. I love the stuff.