Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Formerly The Emerald Inn (now The Monk's Kettle)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Iceman

Formerly The Emerald Inn (now The Monk's Kettle)

Post by Iceman »

I was driving along Bloor St, just west of Royal York and I noticed that the Emerald Inn is now gone and it's been replaced by a new bar. I didn't catch the name of the new place, but I did notice that it was promoting itself as a craft beer bar.

Has anyone gone there?
Last edited by Iceman on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

It would appear to be the Monk's Kettle. The very early website bills the place as a 'speakeasy', presumably the first speakeasy with a website (Psssst -- tell 'em Google sent you). Someone on Yelp says they have 16 taps, though none are specified, and that apparently they will at some point have cask as well. Cask in Etobicoke: the world has changed beyond recognition. Or will do, if this is true.
http://www.themonkskettle.com/

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

That's for the info. Hopefully they stay true to their vision and don't just become another generic bar.
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

The pics on their Facebook site show a bunch of craft tap handles. It was hard to read many of them but it seemed to be exclusively craft brews.

This isn't too far from home, I'll post some notes if I get a chance to check it out soon.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

toweringpine wrote:The pics on their Facebook site show a bunch of craft tap handles. It was hard to read many of them but it seemed to be exclusively craft brews.
From the pics, it looks like: St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout and Apricot Wheat, Thornbury Cider, Okanagan Springs 1516, Sapporo, Sleeman Light, Blanche de Chambly, Wellington S.P.A.,Beau's Lugtread, Muskoka Mad Tom, Black Oak (??? - can't make out which brand), Delirium Tremens, Moosehead, Sam Adams Seasonal (in this case, Octoberfest), Weihenstephaner Hefe, Flying Monkeys (not sure which one, tap handle doesn't indicate). So, a mix of macro and craft. And yes, I'm bored. :)

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

it's Blackoak nut brown, and Hoptical illusion.

I'm actually working in the bar. They have a vision for the pub which I think suits the area. They're looking at bringing in an additional 4 taps which will be consistantly rotated, as well as stocking about 70 bottled beer, all craft beers by the way. Oh, and a cask! It's early days, the bar is only open 3 and half weeks and we havent had our grand opening yet. Ok, there are some marcos on the list, but don't hold it against us :)

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

thelynchfella wrote:it's Blackoak nut brown, and Hoptical illusion.

I'm actually working in the bar. They have a vision for the pub which I think suits the area. They're looking at bringing in an additional 4 taps which will be consistantly rotated, as well as stocking about 70 bottled beer, all craft beers by the way. Oh, and a cask! It's early days, the bar is only open 3 and half weeks and we havent had our grand opening yet. Ok, there are some marcos on the list, but don't hold it against us :)
Not at all! That's actually a pretty solid craft side of the taps and the macro stuff will lure in Molbatts types who may be curious and try "that crazy Flying Monkeys beer". Sounds like the place is definitely heading in the right direction. A great addition to that area. Between this and Bryden's, Bloor westers can now have their own mini pub crawl!

Sil

Post by Sil »

Just checked this out tonight.
(Sue me, we've been busy in the US lately)

Definitely worth checking out. Got Beau's Night Marzen on cask.

Had a nice 16 tap selection and the food was solid. Staff knew about beer and made good suggestions. Pint pricing in the $6-7 range.

Standout taps were Hoptical, Mad Tom, Delerium Tremens, Blanche de Chambly, 2 from Beau's, Black Oak Oaktoberfest.

Was really busy, which makes me think there's hope for Etobicoke. Right about the time we're moving to Port Credit, but nevermind that. If you're in the area, stop in for sure.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Checked this out tonight. A bit bland looking on the inside, but a very nice craft selection, including a couple you don't see much of: St. Ambroise Pumpkin and Weihenstephan Dunkel.

Thye have a 4 x 5oz craft sampler for $6.95, which I think is a great idea.

I had very good service at the bar. The server knew the beers and was willing to hear feedback on the selection I had.

A great addition to a nice neighbourhood.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

This place has been my local since moving to the west end in 2015. Up until last fall it was always a reliably solid gastropub with stellar food, good service, a cozy atmosphere, and a respectable lineup of rotating crafts. Then recently they started to experience some problems whereby a bunch of the staff left (apparently over pay issues), the food menu was cut in half, and the website and social media pages were taken down. Once the latter happened I was under the impression they might have closed, but I'm happy to report that they're still open and under new ownership. This is according to a server we spoke to at the bar on the weekend. Needless to say I'm glad they haven't closed shop, and hopefully the new owner(s) can turn things around (and pay their staff). Aside from Henry VIII - which has a decent lineup of imports and some craft options - there is a surprising lack of good beer spots in the area, so Monk's fills a major void in that regard.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what happened. It was a great place to meet for lunch when I was in that area, but then they stopped opening during the day a few months back.

Henry VIII is pretty good too.

I haven't been to the Crooked Cue in a while, do they still have a GLB guest tap? It was about the only reason to go there.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tapsucker wrote:Thanks for the update. I was wondering what happened. It was a great place to meet for lunch when I was in that area, but then they stopped opening during the day a few months back.

Henry VIII is pretty good too.

I haven't been to the Crooked Cue in a while, do they still have a GLB guest tap? It was about the only reason to go there.
Never been to Crooked Cue. Always had the impression it was a macro-serving dive bar, so I just assumed they didn't have craft. Monk's and Henry have been our staples since moving to the area, but ever since Monk's scaled back their food options we've been going to Henry for dinner and drinks then Monk's for a post-dinner beer or two. Given the quality of the food at Henry, and the fact that they always have a few good imports on (BrewDog, Fuller's, Hacker Pschorr, etc), it works out well. But I'm hoping Monk's can get back to serving a full food menu. Fingers crossed.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Just a quick note to report that The Monk's Kettle closed shop on the 26th of May; dunno what sort of establishment will be taking over from them.