Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Beer Week Homebrew Contest

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Mmmm... sexy hops
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

grub wrote:i can't remember from last year... do we get actual medals for this one (including for the non-golds)?
Only if you make me print out some kind of certificate...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Bobsy wrote:Only if you make me print out some kind of certificate...
haha, nah, i want some bling, not a sheet of paper :)

but considering it's a free contest, the prizes are pretty damn impressive already. maybe next year you try and convince the medal making people to be a sponsor ;)

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

It was a pleasure to help judge the final round yesterday. Some damn fine beers. Nice work guys

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Lackey wrote:It was a pleasure to help judge the final round yesterday. Some damn fine beers. Nice work guys
Lucky, lucky b***ard!!!! :D

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

congrats to all the winners. it was both fun and tense to sit across the lot at great lakes while the judging happened. there were some tasty beers flowing and fine music to distract us. still, the occasional tweets from the judging crew kept us on the edge of our seats as it came down to the wire. then a picture of the final 6 appeared, and the excitement built: among those 6 were both of our gold medal beers. finally, troy came over and invited us to the judging tables for them to announce the winners. the granite selection - not us, but I expected that. the beau's selection - not us, and again we expected that. the amsterdam selection - not us... but holy shit, one of our beers was getting something... the great lakes selection - not us. woah! one of our two was going to be best in show! and then the announcement - monk's elixir wins best in show!!! we're going to san diego! many handshakes and photos, and then we cracked a fresh bottle to share with our fellow brewers, judges, and anyone else around.

it's truly an honour for us to be chosen. hearty congratulations to everyone who participated.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

grub wrote:
it's truly an honour for us to be chosen. hearty congratulations to everyone who participated.
Congratulations!!!

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Sure would be great to know the results.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hi guys.

Results to be posted online shortly, but just to confirm Russ' post - Monk's Elixir from Eric Ecclestone and Russ Burdick was the grand prize winner as picked by the brewers and their representatives! We have four beers made by local brewers, and all the winners will be contacted shortly by yours truly. All other winners will receive some great swag as soon as I get everything in the mail!

Rob

zachariaIPA

Post by zachariaIPA »

Hey Rob, any chance we'll see the final results today?

Cheers

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Congrats Russ & Eric!

Hopefully I'll get to try one of the other winners if it's on-tap around the holidays.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

A few of the brewery winners were posted in The Grid

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drink/beer-wars/

Brewery Picks

Amsterdam: Jeremy Skorochid’s The Nightman Cometh (Black IPA)

Beau’s: Tim Gregory’s Doc’s Feet Dubbel (Beau’s will brew an organic version)

The Granite: Nicholas Verlaine’s Springer Premium Bitter

Great Lakes: Zack Weinberg’s Kama Stoutra Indian Imperial Stout (to be made for the brewery’s monthly Project X night).
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i'm glad i didn't rely on my memory... I knew Jeremy's black IPA was going to be at amsterdam, and i knew the dubbel was in but I had the location wrong. i was fairly sure of the one for the granite but couldn't remember what the 4th beer was at all. ah well, congrats guys! even after the event the judges were raving about them.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Congrats to all the winners, especially Russ and Eric, there was a ton of fine entries that didn't even make the final round. The quality was outstanding and you should all be quite proud.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Congrats guys, I can't wait to see some of these brews pop up around Toronto.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/