Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Garrett Oliver and the Oxford Companion to Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

They must have adjusted the price at bookdepository over night, it's showing as $46.29 CDN now.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I just grabbed a copy from Chapters. This book is ridiculous. I'm a little overwhelmed. I don't even know where to start.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

boney wrote:I just grabbed a copy from Chapters. This book is ridiculous. I'm a little overwhelmed. I don't even know where to start.
Yeah, I was really surprised at how comprehensive it is. Not to mention you could kill someone with the thing. Great resource!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I've ordered both a copy of this and a copy of The Craft of Stone Brewing Company. Can't wait for either.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:I've ordered both a copy of this and a copy of The Craft of Stone Brewing Company. Can't wait for either.
Saw the Stone book at the same time. A very classy package and looks very cool. I showed it to my wife and strongly hinted a future Christmas gift.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:I've ordered both a copy of this and a copy of The Craft of Stone Brewing Company. Can't wait for either.
Well I hope you have better luck than I do. I order Craft Beers of the Pacific Northwest and Microbrewed Adventures, both ended up in the undeliverable office. The contents were missing from the package. Looks like someone at Canada Post likes craft beer.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

boney wrote: Saw the Stone book at the same time. A very classy package and looks very cool. I showed it to my wife and strongly hinted a future Christmas gift.
I hinted the same thing, but I have little patience. Just can't wait until Christmas.
Wray77 wrote: Well I hope you have better luck than I do. I order Craft Beers of the Pacific Northwest and Microbrewed Adventures, both ended up in the undeliverable office. The contents were missing from the package. Looks like someone at Canada Post likes craft beer.
That is some bad luck dude. I ordered through a brick and mortar bookstore, so if the books get lost along the way I'm not the one on the hook for it.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The Stone book has a neat thing where if you bring a copy to the brewery you can purchase an exclusive barrel aged beer. Although the "purchase for the right to purchase" is always a bit odd, it's a fun idea.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I just ordered both the Oxford Companion to Beer and The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.

For those interested in buying the Oxford Companion to Beer, try this:

Go to http://www.chapters.indigo.ca
Setup an online account, and get a free Plum Rewards membership.
Sign in, find and select the book, then checkout.
Use coupon code 'OLOCT11' for $5 off online orders.
The book is over $25, so shipping is free.
All in, it will be $37.55 and will be shipped to your door in 3 to 9 days.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

I'm having a fabulous birthday today! The family gave me The Craft of Stone Brewing and The Oxford Companion. What a thoughtful gang. I'm so lucky.

Both books are fabulous, and like boney wrote the Companion is a little overwhelming. Hours and hours of reading pleasure ahead!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Happy Birthday Zane! Mozel Tov!

I've had my Oxford for a while...It's a gorgeous book...not really a sit down a read thing, but an exhaustive reference for the curious...

My one grumble: two or three colour photo spreads would've been nice...but hey, still awesome...

Hope you had a great birthday today...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Both the Oxford Companion to Beer and the Stone Brewing book arrived today. My first impressions of both are good..piles of information here.

Just in time for the weekend..
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Got my copy of The Craft of Stone Brewing Co. Great read so far.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I haven't got a copy yet, but apparently there are some inaccuracies...
http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... -disaster/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Derek wrote:I haven't got a copy yet, but apparently there are some inaccuracies...
http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... -disaster/
Wow, that spawned some serious discussion on Alan's blog!
http://beerblog.genx40.com/archive/2011 ... ttoliveron