Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Better Bottle Caps

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Better Bottle Caps

Post by cannondale »

I'd like to stopper 6 litre better bottles with 2 inlets, one for an airlock and the other for a thermowell.

Options that I've seen so far are:
Drilling a 2nd hole in a No. 10 drilled rubber stopper (problem: drilling hole through rubber is a pain in the ass)
(Orange) Universal carboy cap (problem: apparently it's not a great fit on the better bottles)

Anyone crossed this bridge already?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Is the orange carboy cap too large for the better bottle? I used one on a 6 Gallon glass carboy that wasn't airtight and put one of those thick elastics you get around brocolli at the supermarket and it helped seal it up.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

phirleh wrote:Is the orange carboy cap too large for the better bottle? I used one on a 6 Gallon glass carboy that wasn't airtight and put one of those thick elastics you get around brocolli at the supermarket and it helped seal it up.
I've read that it is a bit too large for the BB. I've also read of the rubber band solution, which I'm willing to give a shot. I just typically like to see whether there is a purpose-built, reasonably priced solution first, with retrofitting as plan B.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.