Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Hallowe'en Beers 2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

JeffPorter wrote:
cannondale wrote:isn't that
getting a little carried away?
No.
I was being facetious...I think it's great. Now that Highballer is available, I think for shits and giggles I'll do a side by each on Halloween with all 5.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cannondale wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
cannondale wrote:isn't that
getting a little carried away?
No.
I was being facetious...I think it's great. Now that Highballer is available, I think for shits and giggles I'll do a side by each on Halloween with all 5.
Maybe brewries don't make a lot on Pumpkin ales so the LC has to source many brewers?

The LC at Queen and Coxwell has about 60 CASES of Citrouille stacked high and wide, and plenty of the others - it's obscene, I've never seen so much of anything all in one place since FUZION took off.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

heebes wrote:
vincho wrote:Highballer is in the LCBO inventory, retailed for 3.60 for a 500ml bottle!
hey matt - any chance you could try to get some Highballer into LCBO Store # 168:
RIDDELL & CENTENNIAL,

the pumpkins seem to do well here and the store is also good at carrying Ontario offerings. no worries if not though, i will travel to find some if i have to.
i no longer work for GRB so you will have to give them a call to try to get some in to #168

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Pumking dropped to $8.65 a bottle

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Stroonze wrote:Pumking dropped to $8.65 a bottle
Maybe due to competition with Smashed?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Just had some Ghosttown during the start of our annual scary movie marathon and while it wasn't terrible, I don't think I'd pick it up again. I felt like the finish was more hollow than it should be and the tatse was some what washed out. Maybe it was the Absinthe, which does offer some nice, subtle anise, maybe it was that I just wasn't in the right mood for it, or maybe it was that I drank it after a Celebrator and an Ola Dubh 12, but it just didn't seem that exciting to me with so many other amazing stouts and porters available in the coming season. Speaking of which, where is the LTM?
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

The Mick wrote:Just had some Ghosttown during the start of our annual scary movie marathon and while it wasn't terrible, I don't think I'd pick it up again. I felt like the finish was more hollow than it should be and the tatse was some what washed out. Maybe it was the Absinthe, which does offer some nice, subtle anise, maybe it was that I just wasn't in the right mood for it, or maybe it was that I drank it after a Celebrator and an Ola Dubh 12, but it just didn't seem that exciting to me with so many other amazing stouts and porters available in the coming season. Speaking of which, where is the LTM?
Yeah it was f***ing atrocious when I had it. Utter waste of shelf/warehouse space IMO. I love stout, and absinthe, but holy crap they don't go well together. Or maybe it was just poorly done. The brewer seems like one of the crappier ones in Montreal/Quebec in general. 3 sips and I knew I'd had one of the worst beers of my life. Definitely the big stinker of the release for me.

vincho

Post by vincho »

The Ghosttown was a little curious to me, I have a pretty open palette so I didn't think it was horrible by any stretch. Although I wasn't particularly fond of the flavours, it wasn't too far off from a stout but it possessed some odd medicinal notes of licorice and absinthe. The slightly sour aftertaste was most off-putting for me. Kind of fitting for a Halloween beer actually; worth trying I'd say if you have an open mind.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Yeah, I tried it last Friday and it just tasted like drinking anise. It was pretty unpleasant and I won't be buying it again.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Agree with comments above about the Ghostown Stout, I guess I had to try it for my own curiousity's sake but defintely after a couple of sips I was ready to move on...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

heebes

Post by heebes »

mgmoney wrote:Agree with comments above about the Ghostown Stout, I guess I had to try it for my own curiousity's sake but defintely after a couple of sips I was ready to move on...
exactly how i felt, drainpour

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Wow, surprised to see so much negative reaction to the Ghosttown. I really liked it, both in bottles now and when I tried it at Mondiale a couple of years ago. But I love pretty much anything flavoured with anise or licorice, so I'm definitely in the target market.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Good to hear. My wife has always said she want'd to try a licorice flavoured stout. Now I just have to make it to an LCBO that carries it and hope they have some left...of course it doesn't look like there's a limited quantity of the beer getting all these positive reviews.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I noticed the ST price drop too. Dangerously tasty alco bomb. Everyone is going pumpkin crazy, I get the feeling the squash-beer trend is here to stay.
Last edited by Belgian on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I really liked Ghostown...I simply think that the herbal flavours go well with the stout profile...I don't even really find that the anise is overwhelming...

But whatevs....
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John