Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hardrock 42 Gastropub

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

irishkyle21

Hardrock 42 Gastropub

Post by irishkyle21 »

This pub just opened a month ago. Sudbury finally has two places were I can enjoy good beer! Its on Elm street in the Days Inn Hotel. Fair sized lots of seating. Great tap list (for Sudbury), Smashbomb, Hoptical, Sam Adams, and some Hop City stuff. They have a very nice bottle selection lots of Ontario micros. Having a Mad Tom as I type. Service is nice and friendly. If you're in Sudbury and want a nice relaxed place this is it. I'll be splitting my beer drinking between here and The Buddha.
We can get drunker than this!!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I can also vouch for this place. Very friendly staff, nice layout and solid beer line-up. Had I known it was IN the Days Inn hotel before I was in Sudbury I would have stayed there and enjoyed more than just three beers there.

They had bottles on sale for some crazy cheap price too, I think it was $2.50. That includes many good micros like Muskoka Mad Tom.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

Me three, this is a much welcome addition to the city's beer scene. Had a pint of Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner, I think the Sam Adams tap is going to change with their different seasonal brews. They've had 4 dollar Flying Money pints (Smashbomb included) as well.

weston_sagle

Post by weston_sagle »

The best part about this place is the sweet potato wedges with dipping sauce!

kbeswick

Post by kbeswick »

Hadn't heard of this place until I drove by it a week or two ago (and I live downtown).

Pretty good pub food, friendly service, decent prices, and Sudbury's most ecclectic selection of on tap beer. Definitely worth checking out if you live here, or if you are visiting. I know I'll be going back!

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Hmmm I'll have to make a trip down from Timmins!
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Made a day trip to Sudbury and made some time to stop in here. The food, service, and tap selection were all excellent. They had a great selection from Flying Monkeys and Hop City. I would go back in an instant!
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

This place just keeps getting better. They've added a few more taps and picked up some more bottles. Best place for beer in Sudbury especially draft. I'll post the new taps next time I'm in. Can't remember them all, mostly Mill St (Coblestone, Tankhouse).

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Haven't stopped by the Hardrock in a awhile (too long actually). This is now the best place to go for a good pint in Sudbury. Tap list keeps getting better $5.75 for a 20oz Spearhead pretty good price in my opinion. The bottle selection is getting better as well but The Laughing Buddha still wins in that category (and The Buddha has a real nice patio). If you haven't been around Hardrock stop in and give it a try. Reall good spot especially considering it's Sudbury.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

And I don't work there, after reading my last two posts about the place it sounds like I'm advertising for them hahaha. Just happy to have a few places to drink good beer without having to order from the L.C.B.O or driving down south for the weekend.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

irishkyle21 wrote:Haven't stopped by the Hardrock in a awhile (too long actually). This is now the best place to go for a good pint in Sudbury. Tap list keeps getting better $5.75 for a 20oz Spearhead pretty good price in my opinion. The bottle selection is getting better as well but The Laughing Buddha still wins in that category (and The Buddha has a real nice patio). If you haven't been around Hardrock stop in and give it a try. Reall good spot especially considering it's Sudbury.
That's awesome for you guys, but must admit that it makes me a little jealous - being in a city with half a million people and not one real "craft" tap.
Last edited by JeffPorter on Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

There are some Great Lakes beer up there now!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Yup, Devil's Pale Ale and Green Tea on tap. Might be some others but thats all I can remember.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I had a missed placed punctuation mark that made my last post sound dickish - It really is great for you guys up there to have that place!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

irishkyle21 wrote:Yup, Devil's Pale Ale and Green Tea on tap. Might be some others but thats all I can remember.
Crazy Canuck and Orange Peel in the hopper too...